Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart this week announced a new partnership with Apple, which allows the Walmart Voice Order feature to be used with Siri.

With this option, Apple users can ask Siri to add items to their Walmart Online Grocery Cart through a new Siri Shortcut. After pairing an account, customers can create a shopping cart by saying "Add to Walmart" and then naming the product they want to purchase.

walmartsiri-800x522.jpg

Once finished shopping, customers can place the order with the Walmart app and then Walmart personal shoppers will gather the items. Customers can have their orders delivered or pick them up at a local Walmart store. Items can be added to the Walmart cart on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, HomePod, and CarPlay.

According to Walmart, the more customers use the feature, the better the experience will be. The app is designed to quickly and accurately identify desired items based on purchase history.
For example, if a customer says, "add orange juice to my cart," we'll make sure to add the specific orange juice the customer buys regularly. Instead of saying "Great Value organic orange juice with no pulp," they'll simply say: "orange juice" and we'll add the right one.
The voice ordering feature is aimed at letting customers add to a list of items over time as they realize what they need for a weekly shopping trip. Walmart customers interested in using the feature can go to the Walmart Grocery App and choose the "Voice Shopping" option on their account page.

Article Link: Walmart Partners With Apple to Allow Voice Orders Through Siri

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I’m probably one of the only people here excited about this. I have HomePods and direct integration would be amazing.

The Google Home integration is absolutely terrible though - here’s hoping this is better.

Walmart also added unlimited delivery for $98/yr which is great.

Reactions: Mikey44 and xnu

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
I think this is great if Apple positions Siri as a open platform to be utilized by many companies. It has to work, but it would still be awesome.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Siri could not locate my iPad yesterday, it was standing right beside my phone. Siri was unable to tell me the weather last night, it was raining, and finally it understood exactly when I asked her to play Coldplay, read it back to me and yet said it could not play it.

I would not trust my groceries to Siri. I know I will get jalapeños instead of onions.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlliFlowers

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Groceries are the one thing I'd honestly rather pick out myself.

Everything else is cool. Though I think I have only picked up a handful of things using store pickup. I don't even go to the stores that often anymore. Maybe for milk and creamer, but those are about the same price at Aldi/Lidl.

Reactions: Ntombi

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I do not trust Siri or Wal-Mart to select the right kind of orange juice, let alone select anything else properly for me. Wal-Mart add Apple Pay support at your in-store registers please. Need the 2% Apple Card Reward rather than having to use my Apple credit card for the 1% reward.

Fadakar

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
double facepalms
The questions here are how often do you need to replace your crampons, and are they such a regular purchase for you that you'd feel comfortable making it over a voice command without looking at product pages first?

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2019
I was going to reply with the same sentiment. Glad someone else was thinking it. It’s one of the many reasons I avoid Wal-Mart
I went to one of their stores today and was thinking about this so that's why, I rather not bring my physical card as much as possible.

Last edited:

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
This is surprising considering Walmart doesn't even support Apple Pay in their stores... Why would Apple WANT to work with them, unless Walmart is finally going to change their mind about supporting Apple Pay...?
Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. Plenty of reasons to partner with them. Keeps the crappy competitors (Amazon) at bay.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
After using this, it’s just as bad as the google home version - I guess I was expecting too much. It’s just using conversational Siri - it takes forever to get stuff added.

“hey Siri, Walmart”
LONG PAUSE
“Hold on”
LONG PAUSE
“Grocery says: What would you like to add?”
“Lemons”
“Multiple items from your order history match lemons, do you want a 2 lb bag of lemons or lemons, individual”
“2 lb bag”
“How many would you like to add? 1, 2, 3, 4 or other?”
“1”
“Okay, it’s added to your cart”

wish it could just be “hey Siri add lemons to walmart” and skip all the back and forth. If it gets it wrong you could just delete it.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is surprising considering Walmart doesn't even support Apple Pay in their stores... Why would Apple WANT to work with them, unless Walmart is finally going to change their mind about supporting Apple Pay...?

Apple sees Walmart as a great American success story and will do whatever it takes to prop that up in the media and consumer areas.

Every [Canadian] community that a Walmart moves into suffers noticeably, but that doesn't stop customers from flocking to them anyway. Yes, even I shop there occasionally because they carry certain products that are hard to find or overpriced elsewhere, such as nylon dog bones that our sweetheart Retriever absolutely loves!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Odd partnership for Apple that's trying to market itself as a premium brand. Whole foods is already affiliated with Amazon but there's Trader Joe's.

Reactions: MacClueless

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
I think this is great if Apple positions Siri as a open platform to be utilized by many companies. It has to work, but it would still be awesome.
“Apple” and “open platform” go together like oil and water.

Reactions: xnu

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I regularly order products via Amazon using Alexa. It’s very convenient.
Siri and Walmart isn’t the least bit attractive.

Reactions: MacClueless
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.