Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
In Panther I was able to open iMovie files with quicktime and Tiger won't let me open my iMovie without exporting it was a self-contained file. I have a powerbook g4 with 40GB so I am hurting for room and I don't want to create a new file with the movie.

I open quicktime and try to open the iMovie. The "choose" button lights up but it then tell me "quicktime cannot open this file".

I have quicktime pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
hmm, how about you get a macbook? iBooks still sell for quite a nice price, so go and take your chance.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
cbetta said:
hmm, how about you get a macbook? iBooks still sell for quite a nice price, so go and take your chance.

You must be a liberal: throwing money at a problem when all you need is a little tweaking

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Bali Cockfight said:
You must be a liberal: throwing money at a problem when all you need is a little tweaking
I agree that the rather silly response was worthy of mockery, but your random political insult makes me a lot less inclined to try and help.

However...

You didn't say what version of iMovie you're using; it makes a big difference. For example, in the latest two or three versions, the entire project file is contained in an .iMovieProject package. To get at the video without duplicating anything, you can do the following: In iMovie, select Export, and tell it to export to iDVD. It will open iDVD, but you can just chuck the project that gets created. If you then find the .iMovieProject file, control-click on it to bring up the contextual menu, and select "Show Package Contents", you will see several files and folders that differ a bit depending on the version of iMovie. In the "Shared Movies" folder, you should find an "iDVD" folder, and in there, a reference movie that should open just fine in the latest version of Quicktime.

At the very least, this works just fine for me with iMovie '06 or '05 and QT Pro 7.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
Makosuke said:
I agree that the rather silly response was worthy of mockery, but your random political insult makes me a lot less inclined to try and help.

However...

You didn't say what version of iMovie you're using; it makes a big difference. For example, in the latest two or three versions, the entire project file is contained in an .iMovieProject package. To get at the video without duplicating anything, you can do the following: In iMovie, select Export, and tell it to export to iDVD. It will open iDVD, but you can just chuck the project that gets created. If you then find the .iMovieProject file, control-click on it to bring up the contextual menu, and select "Show Package Contents", you will see several files and folders that differ a bit depending on the version of iMovie. In the "Shared Movies" folder, you should find an "iDVD" folder, and in there, a reference movie that should open just fine in the latest version of Quicktime.

At the very least, this works just fine for me with iMovie '06 or '05 and QT Pro 7.

Thanks for helping me despite my lack of political tact. I have iMovie 2.1.2 but I have quicktime pro 7.1.3

I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. I exported it to iDVD but it didnt open iDVD. It created a .mov in the "movies" folder but it's huge (over 400MB). I simply want to play the movie with the existing clips that are already in iMovie. I used to be able to do this with Panther, but Tiger is denying me, rejecting me, making me feel inferior as if I am not worthy of using what was once a right, but now a privilege. I stand humbled. I stand in awe of her. I hate her for making me jump through hoops to prove my love.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.