Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nate32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
Hi,

I heard that Warcraft 3 was running on 10.6 or 10.5 I don't quite remember.
My question is that if I install it on a 10.6 and than I just upgrade the OS will it work? What are any other possibilities that I can try?
I don't want to play DOTA or online. I just wanna play against the computer.

Thanks,

Nathan

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Your suggestion should work fine. It did for me. Also, installing on a pre-10.6 machine and moving the game folder over seems to work fine too, for now.

Just remember to keep a backup.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Due to the removal of Open Transport on 10.9, you can't play any network games, local or internet, on that version or later. If that isn't an issue for you, go on ahead.

davecom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
Is there a way to install on a 10.9 machine? Is the installer PPC or something?

obiwahn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Is there a torrent with the already installed warcraft 3 folder?

So I dont have to downgrade to 10.6 to install.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Yea it definitely works on Mavericks. Battle.net however does NOT work after 10.8 I believe.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Don't suppose anyone has figured out any kind of work around for the OpenTransport issue?

cozysexycooll

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Yes you can play warcraft 3 on OS X Mavericks....I run it very well...You can use wineskin winery to play it...
I thinks theres on youtube the easy tutorial to install warcraft 3 on Mavericks....try search on youtube with keywords "Install Warcraft 3 on Mac OS X with Wineskin Winery"

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I struggled with this great game as well as Starcraft after Apple gimped their fantastic OS with Lion.

Give up on gaming Blizzard classics on OS X, just install the windows versions in a wine skin or parallels or boot camp. Everything will work great.

kratoz29

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
I struggled with this great game as well as Starcraft after Apple gimped their fantastic OS with Lion.

Give up on gaming Blizzard classics on OS X, just install the windows versions in a wine skin or parallels or boot camp. Everything will work great.

Did you used wine skin? what do you mean with work great? I mean, I've tried that with wine and the videos/cinematic doesn't works... even the game crashes..

Do you have this issue too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.