Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
From Pogue's article:

<<What Apple said privately

Apple reps offered individual briefings to some tech writers; there I learned a bunch of stuff that Apple didn’t say in its keynote.

For example, the Apple Watch is water resistant. Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it are fine. Take it off before you swim or get in the shower, though.>>

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-watch-update-more-details-and-hands-on-97091024129.html

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Not sure how cooking/washing your hands are any different than showering...

Hopefully Apple will be a lot more specific about water when the time comes.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Because you're wishing your hands, not your wrist. I assume it means splashes from washing your hands, not actually putting the watch under the tap.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

This has been discussed and debated in several other water proof/water resistant threads and we don't know what the IP or ATM rating will be.

However the difference is shower water is sprayed under pressure. Devices are far more susceptible to ingress of water when it is pressurized.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Because you're wishing your hands, not your wrist. I assume it means splashes from washing your hands, not actually putting the watch under the tap.

But I'm not sure how different sweating or rain is from showering, in terms of water exposure. I take 5-10 minute showers. I run for 1-3 hours. In the summer, a watch is going to be subjected to a lot of sweat. And summer runs in the rain can be quite pleasurable, and can differ very little from a 1-3 hour shower.

Truth is, we don't know what the water rating will be.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm going to be interested to see the in-store

Shower/Rain water detector that's going to scan water damage and be able to tell the water that got in is from a shower and not from the sky :D

Rain can be light or REALLY HEAVY

A shower could be a super hot powerful power shower, or a light fine shower with very little pressure.

I still have no idea how anything thinks Apple will have any idea how water got it.

I agree with many here, I hope Apple release/show/explain the exact official waterproof standard the Apple watch is made to.

For some reason, and I'm probably wrong. I think Apple are going to be all "We Know better than so call official standard people" and won't specify anything, won't say they comply with anything, and will just leave it vague so they can adjust the rules any time they see fit as they know better.

Happy to be proved wrong though, and look forward to seeing them announce the IP rating it's been independently tested to :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The problem on a shower is the temperature of the water no?

Could be a factor, but probably be cold by the time you get it to the Apple store asking for a replacement watch :D

I think we will be surprised and it will be more waterproof than Apple is letting on.
We'll see some Underwater tests on YouTube... You wait and see :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You sound like someone who is not a long distance runner. :p

Rain varies in pressure just as much as showers.

Rain is NOT under pressure. It falls by the force of gravity. Gravity is the only force acting on rain and rain can only fall. For instance rain can NOT go up but a shower head can spray water up because it is under pressure. Shower water is under pressure and rain IS NOT under pressure.

Also as to the question of my running, you be the judge.:D Here is my January workout calendar.:cool: Because of winter (no biking either) it is probably my 2ed lowest millage month of the year (Feb is usually a little lower).

ScreenShot2015-02-11at22144PM_zpsab56717e.jpg

Last edited:

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Water isn't "under pressure" once it leaves the shower head. It does have velocity, but so does rain. As fast as rain seems to fall, it's velocity does not match that of a shower, so running in the rain shouldn't be a problem while showering is. It's not about how long the water contact lasts, it's the velocity of the water.

But cyclists are another story. Even though I slow down in the rain somewhat, I can reasonably expect to hit 30mph or more. That's shower velocity and then some.

Hopefully Apple will release a water resistance rating other than "slash proof." All we know is what an Apple employee said during the demonstration in September, as the keynote only said it was water resistant without specifying a rating. Besides, at that point the production model wasn't finalized and there's no way to know one way or another.

Show me a more recent statement from Apple than the keynote and we can talk more.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Water isn't "under pressure" once it leaves the shower head. It does have velocity, but so does rain. As fast as rain seems to fall, it's velocity does not match that of a shower, so running in the rain shouldn't be a problem while showering is. It's not about how long the water contact lasts, it's the velocity of the water....

Yes, and I should have been more precise by saying "shower water is sprayed under pressure". Also rain's terminal velocity is about 10 meters per second (depending on drop size) but a shower's velocity can reach multiples of this.

Agian, as I have said in other water threads. I believe the :apple:Watch will be at least IPx6 or higher.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Can we just accept not all showers are created equal, and not all rain is the same.

Rain can vary in droplet size, you can have the wind BLASTING rain into you, even more so if you are moving against the wind and rain.

Likewise you can have a very gentle shower at home, just of a low pressure water tank under gravity with only just a little more over gravity pressure.

I appreciate some people may have grown up used to power showers, or showers with a nice water force behind them.

But saying Yes to rain and no to shower is vastly over simplifying things.

Some people are never wrong, so I'd not waist my breath attempting to get some here to accept any balanced view.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Next time I'm out in heavy rain, I will be sure to not describe it as a "showering out there" or my apple watch warranty might be void!

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Also as to the question of my running, you be the judge.:D Here is my January workout calendar.:cool: Because of winter (no biking either) it is probably my 2ed lowest millage month of the year (Feb is usually a little lower).
Well, you should definitely be running more if you want to maximize performance. :p

(*My* LA Fitness membership is largely going to waste right now...but I've run for 309 straight days. I joined for access to the pool, but I haven't been successful in becoming a swimmer.)

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014

As someone else stated, when you wash your hands, your wrists probably won't get very wet. And the difference in a shower is the constant water pressure against it, more similar to that of being under water. I would assume like most "water resistant" devices, it can get wet, but if there is overwhelming pressure it will break through the seals.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Would you all agree.

From what we know so far, and looking at this:

http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/fire_tech/ip_explained.htm

I think we should be expecting Apple to state quite clearly at the pre-launch show that it's going to be rated to IP64 at least.

6 = Dust Tight
4 = Protection from Splashed Water.

You think that's reasonable?

IP 67 is of course what many people would prefer.

6 = Dust tight
7 = Protection against Immersion.

:)

Some of the current Android Wear watches out there now at IP67, so there is no reason to think Apple should not be able to match what other brands are managing to offer customers.

The Moto 360 and the LG G Watch R, amongst others are supposed to be IP67 rated.

As a Sony review says: (which goes as far as IP68, but comments on IP67 in red below)

"That said, it's clear that Sony isn’t courting the same traditional time piece-loving market that Motorola and LG are swinging for with the Moto 360 and G Watch R. Sony’s new wearable isn’t trying to hide in the guise of a traditional watch – it’s more of a life-logging fitness product than a jewelry piece. The inclusion of an accelerometer, compass, gyro and GPS speaks to this, as does the device’s IP68 dust and waterproofing (nearly every other recent smartwatch has been rated IP67)."

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Well, you should definitely be running more if you want to maximize performance. :p

(*My* LA Fitness membership is largely going to waste right now...but I've run for 309 straight days. I joined for access to the pool, but I haven't been successful in becoming a swimmer.)

I mostly weight train but was running 5 to 6 times a week and then about 3 years ago came down with planter fasciitis. Since then I try to limit running to 3 days a week.

As someone else stated, when you wash your hands, your wrists probably won't get very wet. And the difference in a shower is the constant water pressure against it, more similar to that of being under water. I would assume like most "water resistant" devices, it can get wet, but if there is overwhelming pressure it will break through the seals.

I believe this is all a tempest in a teapot. The watch will likely be well sealed and the weakest link will be the armature (speaker/mic). The :apple:Watch will likely be far more water resistant/proof that expected. Also because of scale Apple will be conservative by saying no showering. However I would bet that well over 99.9% of the people who swim or shower will not have a problem. Because of the probable LARGE numbers sold even 0.1% water problems is a BIG number of people effected, but your chance of having water damage is extremely low.

If the :apple:Watch was going to be sensitive to water they would never show this.:eek:

ScreenShot2014-10-24at114540AM_zps52428622.jpg

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
I don't get it, why would anyone want to get their nice brand new gadget soaking wet?

I wouldn't want to wear my watch in a shower or swimming pool for that matter so I don't see water resistance being an issue. Nearly every swimming pool has a HUGE visible clock outside of the pool anyway.

I understand professional swimmers maybe needing this, but then there are devices already in the market for that, just like water resistant phones.

Get a taste of reality the Apple Watch cannot be ALL things to ALL people. #dealwithit

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't get it, why would anyone want to get their nice brand new gadget soaking wet?...

• When out for a run it starts raining
  • Forgetting to remove :apple:Watch before a water activity
  • Proper hand washing requires you to get you wrists wet and it should be done many times a day
  • Many people have jobs (like firefighter) that involve water

The list could be near endless.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.