Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Wayfair today became one of the first major retailers to announce forthcoming support for Apple Pay on the web for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. On iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, customers will be able to purchase items from the e-commerce website's catalog of more than 7 million furniture and home décor products by tapping or clicking the Apple Pay button and authenticating with Touch ID.

Wayfair-Apple-Pay.jpg
MacRumors mockup of Apple Pay checkout option on Wayfair's mobile website

Apple Pay support in Safari will eliminate the need to directly enter and store credit card and payment information in the browser when making online purchases. It will also eliminate the need for customers to download a store's app to make a payment with Apple Pay. At WWDC 2016 in June, Apple said that many merchants have already agreed to support the mobile payments service on the web at launch.

Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Switzerland, Hong Kong, France, and Singapore, and Apple lists web support as "coming this fall" in all of those regions except the U.K. on its website. Earlier this year, Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey said Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional countries in Asia and Europe.

Article Link: Wayfair Will Support Apple Pay in Safari on iPhone, iPad, and Mac at Launch

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
"Wayfair has just what I need" (sorry couldn't get that jingle out of my head from the commercial)

Reactions: ksnell

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm looking forward to seeing Apple Pay on the web getting more widespread as it will certainly make purchases easier. Though, most of my online shopping is done at Amazon where I don't really need Apple Pay, but I could use it at my online coffee roasters websites. :cool:

Reactions: MonkeySee....

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Can't wait for this. Will ApplePay on the web work with TouchID or do you need the device itself to support ApplePay??

e.g. Will I be able to use my 5S to authenticate the transaction seeing as no NFC is required.

Reactions: peterh988

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
The fewer websites and physical places I have to autofill my card data the better. As it is, the only two places that have card details stored anymore are Skype (needed to replenish funds for long distance calls out to traditional phones and Apple.)

No merchant really has need of storing your card details or losing them any more.

Reactions: 1041958

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
I don't think people realize how big of a deal this is. Now I can buy something from that small store I never heard of without fear of having to use my credit card or that horrible PayPal.

iOS already accounts for around 80% of mobile online shopping (trouncing Android). This is going to make that gap even wider.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
PayPal is pretty painless, though having Touch ID will be even a lazier way to shop. I'm looking forward to it, though it's going to take years to become as ubiquitous as PayPal. It seems that PayPal has finally become a common payment option on many websites. How long did that take? Ten, fifteen years?

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Can't wait for this. Will ApplePay on the web work with TouchID or do you need the device itself to support ApplePay??

e.g. Will I be able to use my 5S to authenticate the transaction seeing as no NFC is required.

I'm thinking not. It's for the same reason that the older devices don't support Apple Pay in-app which is due to the lack of the Secure Element, which comes with the NFC chip only.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'm thinking not. It's for the same reason that the older devices don't support Apple Pay in-app which is due to the lack of the Secure Element, which comes with the NFC chip only.

oh ok. Seems I will need to authenticate with my watch then. Thats a pian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.