Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
This feature went away in iOS 8 and it really annoys me. Below is a screen shot of Safari after long pressing on a photo. After it is the same screen shot in Atomic Web browser. As you can see in the second screen shot when you tap copy it copies the URL. In Safari your only choice is to save to camera roll or copy/paste into email/iMessage. Anyone know why Apple took this away? I wish they'd bring it back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 236

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Works for me in iOS 8.3. Copy on a image then paste url in address field will yield the picture.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
OP doesn't understand how "copy" works. I think he assumes that directly copies the picture.
No, I get it. But notice the difference in the two screen shots below? The first one copies the image URL the second one doesn't. Why are the actions different? More often than not when you long press an image in Safari you get the second menu not the first.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 164

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
IT DOES!!
The two-action popover you have there DOES indeed yield the image url you've been craving. And for everything else, the "Save Image" button will most likely help.

Wait a minute.
You're not talking about the url the image refers to, I hope?
You are talking about the IMAGE URL, which is the path to the actual jpg file, right?
If not, then you've trolled us REALLY well.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Are you saying you want the dialog menu to display the url? Haven't really noticed it before but perhaps they did away with it maybe because there's a character limit so if the url is too long it'll get chopped off so not really useful. What's the reasoning for wanting to see the url, for detecting spoofed url?

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Are you saying you want the dialog menu to display the url? Haven't really noticed it before but perhaps they did away with it maybe because there's a character limit so if the url is too long it'll get chopped off so not really useful. What's the reasoning for wanting to see the url, for detecting spoofed url?
It does, that's the thing. What he's asking for (hopefully) can be done in both menus but you can only, for an undisclosed reason every logically structured intelligent human should understand, copy the link url in the first picture.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
IT DOES!!
The two-action popover you have there DOES indeed yield the image url you've been craving. And for everything else, the "Save Image" button will most likely help.

Wait a minute.
You're not talking about the url the image refers to, I hope?
You are talking about the IMAGE URL, which is the path to the actual jpg file, right?
If not, then you've trolled us REALLY well.
Yes I'm talking about the image URL, not the image itself. You can see in my first screen shot it actually shows the URL, the second screen shot shows the title of the article and has fewer actions. With the first one when you tap on copy it copies the URL. The second one does not. Why the difference?

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Yes I'm talking about the image URL, not the image itself. You can see in my first screen shot it actually shows the URL, the second screen shot shows the title of the article and has fewer actions. With the first one when you tap on copy it copies the URL. The second one does not. Why the difference?
Because the first one has a hyperlink to the image. The second one does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.