Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Okay. I really liked the idea that I could just serve to the outside world from my sites folder... but I just can't get it to work...

the thing is, it keeps on sharing to my Local IP, and I can't get it to share to the Universal IP.. so I can't serve to anyone but me. This really sucks... has anyone go this thing to work?

I'd appreciate ANY help.

Thanks. :)

irmongoose

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Do you mean that you're behind a router or Airport or something that is handing out fake IPs to your local network? If so, you just need to configure your router to forward HTTP requests (port 80) to your machine. The best way to do this is to manually assign your machine an IP out of the range of the ones given out by DHCP. That way you'll have a "static" fake IP, and you just have to tell the router to always forward requests on port 80 to your machine.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
I think I did do that, but then I couldn't connect to the internet! :mad: :mad:

Okay, so let me clear things up a bit...

I know my Local IP, and I also know my Universal IP. When I Web Share, it shares to my local IP if I let it go automatically. I try to manually change the IP if serves to, but the only place I can do that is in the Network settings. So, when I change the IP in the Network settings to my Universal IP, it no longer connects to the internet.

Woah I hope you'll understand that..

HELP!

irmongoose

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Doesn't sound good, and I'm not sure what the problem could be, however you do have another option. Have you looked into creating an iDisk? Apple will let you place 20 megs of files and stuff on their website, its not good for everything, but it might work for you.

Good luck.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
hmm.. .it seems as if no one has had this problem..... looks like its a problem with my provider and them not giving me access to my Universal IP...

aw well, I'll call them then...

By the way... I have looked into using my iDisk Homepage before.. but it's just too little space for me... I'm unhappy with my 100 meg service now... so 20 meg is not an option. Thats more or less why I thought of the Web Sharing thing... no ads, no space limit... I just wished it worked!

Thanks for the help!

irmongoose

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
I am trying to get Web Sharing on a school computer but something funny is happening to disallow guest, registered users to log on within the network and when I try accessing it from an external computer it won't recognise the computer.

This just assures you that you are not alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.