Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
The struggle is real! Only the Persistent can make it through.

Show me photos of someone or something that just won’t give up - and keeps pushing and going. Obviously, open minded interpretations are very welcome, but you can also take it head on if you wish :)

Good luck!

Normal rules apply:
  • The photographs must be of your own creation.
  • Explore, get creative and have fun with it.
  • You may only submit one photo per weekly contest round.
  • Please do not comment on any photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW!
  • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as they possibly can.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Winners please update the Weekly Photo Contest Master thread

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Scratching my head a little and need clarification. Normally the contest is limited to a single photo except the rare before/after. For this contest, is it 1) limited to a single photo that infers persistence to accomplish, or 2) multi, two or more photos, sequence that documents or illustrates persistence, or 3) either approach?

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
Scratching my head a little and need clarification. Normally the contest is limited to a single photo except the rare before/after. For this contest, is it 1) limited to a single photo that infers persistence to accomplish, or 2) multi, two or more photos, sequence that documents or illustrates persistence, or 3) either approach?

I was aiming for a single photo, but a two photo approach fits as well.

I hope I did not pick a snoozer on this one :(

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have to admit that I, too, have had a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the concept and trying to see how I would translate it into a visual image of some sort or may have done in the past. Something such as showing a rock climber rappelling up a cliffside would probably do the trick, or an image depicting someone engaged in some other sort of sports activity, but many of us may not have access to or interest in shooting that kind of image. From what I have seen on here, many of the members who actively participate in the photography-related image-sharing threads such as the POTD one are more into shooting landscapes, animals and macros as opposed to people photos. Still mulling this topic over.....

Last edited:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
OK, a single photo for persistence - practice makes perfect.

Will post the other one in the daily photo tomorrow. It would be Photoshop persistence as restored my fathers military unit photo which required two scans and re-stitching to the original panoramic dimensions before beginning to work on restoration issues. Finished product wouldn't reflect that.
St Lukes April 2016 - 2500px-39.jpg

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
I have to admit that I, too, have had a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the concept and trying to see how I would translate it into a visual image of some sort or may have done in the past. Something such as showing a rock climber rappelling up a cliffside would probably do the trick, or an image depicting someone engaged in some other sort of sports activity, but many of us may not have access to or interest in shooting that kind of image. From what I have seen on here, many of the members who actively participate in this thread are more into shooting landscapes, animals and macros as opposed to people photos. Still mulling this topic over.....

Some of the landscape work I have seen in the past showed a lot of persistence and determination to execute. Weather does not always make it easy, and some places can sure be hard to get to. Just throwing it out there...

Animals can show that too sometimes.

I for one am not giving up on you all just yet!

Reactions: mollyc

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ah, but the trick is going to be to SHOW that persistence in a photo in a way that the message clearly gets across to the viewer. Sure, some seemingly simple, effortless looking images actually required quite a lot of work on the part of the photographer, but that is not often apparent in the finished product. Maybe I am too literal but this is the sticking-point for me when it comes to this particular topic. I could spend an hour or more setting up and working with a subject, shooting it from all angles and perspectives, tinkering with exposure and other values (actually, I often do just that), and in the end come up with and share an image which looks nice as people view it, but they have no idea of the persistence it might have taken me to have achieved the final image..... The image itself should tell the story, rather than there being a need to explain it in a caption or narrative.

malofx

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
First thing that came to mind was myself being persistent about riding a helicopter, and this Saturday I was able to get on it, not once, but twice. The reason being is that is so expensive, so this Saturday there was a special going on, so I jumped on it, and almost went on it a third time.

Here is one of the photos from Saturday on our way to go around downtown Los Angeles. All that smoke you see is from the fires around Los Angeles, it's sad and crazy.

Sunset-1-9.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
OK, here's one to make the numbers up - our Milly running on the beach, being chased by a French Bulldog friend. He was quite fast but would never be able to catch our greyhound cross. He didn't give up though, and with Milly slowing down just enough for him to get near they had a wonderful play together.

You can't catch me!
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
The contest is closed. I like the variety of angles you approached this from. Wish there were more shots, but really appreciate some awesome late entries.

Winners this week:

1. The Bad Guy
2. Oblomow
3. Joint malofx and Hughmac.

On to the next one!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Well done to all involved. I thought this was a clever theme and while I had a few ideas, I just didn't have the time and suitable conditions to capture them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.