Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisStunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
I Copy and pasted a list from an email. The format was like this:

hello
hello

hello
hello

hello
hello

okay so as you can see there is a space between every two lines. When I coppied this lits into notes and try to edit the note, it only double spaces when I add to the list. I can no long do this:

hello
hello

hello
hello

Instead, it shows up like this

hello

hello

hello

hello

For some reason, it double spaces. I can't get two lines to be single spaced. Anyone have a fix for this problem?

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Not sure how to fix it but I've seen this outside of iOS too when forwarding/replying to emails. I think it's grabbing the email formating and it's not playing nice with the note format.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Weird, doesn't happen to me. Maybe it's an iOS issue and they fixed it in 8.1, since I'm running 8.1.

a9enyqeq.jpg

ze8a3ure.jpg

ChrisStunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Can you test this? Send an email to yourself with that line spacing:

Test
Test

Test
Test

Test
Test

Now open the email and copy it into notes and try to add on to the note. See if it lets you single space

fxbeta

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Happens to me all the time (since before iPhone 6 / iOS 8) when creating or editing notes on both the phone and my Mac (sync'd via iCloud). The default behavior of the paste action is to carry over formatting from the source that was copied. In many cases, I can't see any special formatting in the source, but pasting it into notes shows weirdness like the double spacing. The solution on the Mac is to use "Paste and Match Style" instead of regular pasting.

Reactions: Jodiuh

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Happens to me all the time (since before iPhone 6 / iOS 8) when creating or editing notes on both the phone and my Mac (sync'd via iCloud). The default behavior of the paste action is to carry over formatting from the source that was copied. In many cases, I can't see any special formatting in the source, but pasting it into notes shows weirdness like the double spacing. The solution on the Mac is to use "Paste and Match Style" instead of regular pasting.
Thank you for that!

so it's copy from here, control+command+v into notes (which for some reason does not actually paste), then I have to command+v to actually paste, then command+control+copy, then I can paste it.

This seems really dumb. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.