Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I usually get 5 hours Usage with a day of standby. This usage consists mainly of text, web, and light 2d gaming.

What do you typically get?

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Ive gotten as much as 6 1/2 hours before.

But on a typical day before i plug it in at night its usually at around 4 1/2 hours, but that's just how much i use it on a typical day and it still has about 30% battery life left.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Sounds about right.

I didn't charge on nightstand last night, have 5hr20min usage, 1d2hr standby and 37%batt to go.

No gaming, just rss feeds, email, txting, safari.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
sorry -- I didn't realize that you started your own thread. I replied to you in that other thread. Here's my reply:

This is not fake for sure, and you likely don't need to exchange your phone. I have been getting good battery life out of my phone but what some people don't seem to consider is that "usage" is a pretty broad category. Many different "uses" can cover a large span of actual battery use. I would venture an educated guess based on my weeklong experience that most people who have extremely high useage are listening to a lot of music.

Think about it this way: I could fully charge my phone and unplug it and start listening to music. This will start my usage timer. During this time, my phone is black and I'm just listening to a few locally installed tunes.

Let's say at the exact same time you unplug your fully charged phone but start browsing the internet and sending a few texts. This is a) constantly lighting the screen and b) constantly sending and receiving data.

At the end of 10 minutes, who do you think is going to have more battery life left? The one who listened to local content (i.e. music on the phone that requires no data be transmitted) with a turned-off screen -or- the person who is browsing the web/sending texts both having the screen fully lit and transmitting data? In both scenarios, the "usage" is going to show 10 minutes but the less straining usage is going to show far less drain on the battery.

If you want high usage, listen to music for hours on-end and you too can achieve 10+ hours of usage!

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
This is not fake for sure, and you likely don't need to exchange your phone.
If you want high usage, listen to music for hours on-end and you too can achieve 10+ hours of usage!

But I feel like other users are getting much better usage than me. I have never exceeded 5.5 hours, regardless of what I am doing. I drain 1-2% per hour on standby. I have let it die down until the phone shutoff several times. I have had the phone for 2 weeks now and when I got it, it was pre-loaded with 5.0.1.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I just calculated (roughly) and I get about 13-15 minutes of music play per 1% of battery charge. That means if I dedicate 50% of my battery to JUST music, I can get anywhere from 650-750 minutes of music play which equates to ~10h 50min to 12h 30min of "usage".

Try it out for yourself. I bet you can do the same.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Try it out for yourself. I bet you can do the same.

I'm really just trying to figure out if my battery/phone is defective based on my usage. I believe you that with the screen off the battery life is much battery. I just thought that someone with a similar usage pattern could report that they had better/similar/worse experience than me.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I'm really just trying to figure out if my battery/phone is defective based on my usage. I believe you that with the screen off the battery life is much battery. I just thought that someone with a similar usage pattern could report that they had better/similar/worse experience than me.

I see.

Well, based on what you've mentioned, does it help to provide the following:

(this was with my first 4s that I sent back for a replacement)

11/29
useage: 5h 52m
standby: 22h 7m
plugged in @: 3%

11/30
useage: 4h 12m
standby: 13h 37m
plugged in @: 51%

12/1
useage: 7h 2m
standby: 21h 50m
plugged in @: 31%

So far with my new one, I've only completed 1 full cycle and here were my stats:

useage: 8h 21m
Standby: 1day 13hours
plugged in @: 1%

Sorry I don't have screenshots of them all but those are honest numbers.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I see.

Well, based on what you've mentioned, does it help to provide the following:

(this was with my first 4s that I sent back for a replacement)

11/29
useage: 5h 52m
standby: 22h 7m
plugged in @: 3%

11/30
useage: 4h 12m
standby: 13h 37m
plugged in @: 51%

12/1
useage: 7h 2m
standby: 21h 50m
plugged in @: 31%

So far with my new one, I've only completed 1 full cycle and here were my stats:

useage: 8h 21m
Standby: 1day 13hours
plugged in @: 1%

Sorry I don't have screenshots of them all but those are honest numbers.

Thanks! this is what I was looking for. It seems that yourr 11/29 is about the best I've ever gotten. Why did you send the first one back? due to the battery?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I get around 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 hours of usage per full charge on my iP4. Thats with all sorts of app use, music, streaming, phone calls, texts, emails, etc....it's been this way since i first got my iP4 last June

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks! this is what I was looking for. It seems that yourr 11/29 is about the best I've ever gotten. Why did you send the first one back? due to the battery?

No, every time I set it down it sounded like I was losing my marbles (glass clanking). It was the camera lens and it's somewhat normal but it was VERY loud. I can't say if there was definately an issue with it but my new one does not make the sound NEARLY as bad. I'd say perhaps it was within "spec" but at the loud end of the spectrum. Both Apple and Verizon said it was NOT normal (apparently they don't read the forums) and replaced it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.