Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iPad Pro, Apple introduced an overhauled version of the Magic Keyboard to add new features that make using an iPad Pro feel more like using a Mac. If you’re thinking about buying one of the new iPad Pro models and don’t know if you should get a keyboard, this article walks through all of the new features.

magic-keyboard-1.jpg

Design

Apple hasn’t changed the underlying look of the Magic Keyboard, and it continues to use the floating cantilever design introduced with the prior version.

magic-keyboard-2.jpg

A magnetic back connects to the iPad, allowing for multiple viewing angles by adjusting the amount of tilt. The iPad hovers over the keyboard and palm rest, which is now made from aluminum, much like the MacBook.

The keys are backlit and use a scissor mechanism with 1mm of travel, the same as the prior-generation model. The outer cover provides front and back protection to keep the iPad safe when traveling.

Function Keys

The updated Magic Keyboard has a dedicated row of function keys for increasing and lowering brightness, changing the volume, controlling media playback, locking the display, initiating a search, turning on Do Not Disturb, starting dictation, and more.

magic-keyboard-3.jpg

The function row is similar to the function row on the Mac.

Trackpad

Apple made the trackpad from glass and increased the size, making it easier to work with. The trackpad supports haptic feedback, allowing for multi-touch gestures and improving precision-based tasks like editing spreadsheets and selecting text.

Colors

The Magic Keyboard comes in black and white.

magic-keyboard-4.jpg

Passthrough Charging

While the Magic Keyboard uses the Smart Connector on the iPad to connect, there is an included USB-C port that can be used for passthrough charging.

Compatibility

The new Magic Keyboard is compatible with the M4 iPad Pro models, and it comes in 11-inch and 13-inch sizes. It does not work with other iPad models, and the prior version of the Magic Keyboard does not work with the M4 iPad Pro models.

Price

The 11-inch version of the Magic Keyboard is priced at $299, and the 13-inch model is $349.

Article Link: What’s New With the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard

Reactions: ascender

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
My biggest concern is the lack of side protection on this and the folio case. One slip and the corner is going to get dinged up. Has anyone that owned these type of cases in the past have any comments?

Oh and the price.
I haven't owned one, but played with the old one in store and it would come apart (from the iPad) pretty violently if not treated right. It's not a laptop replacement where you can hold the laptop any way and it won't come apart.

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
My biggest concern is the lack of side protection on this and the folio case.
I use the Moft Snap Case with iPad Pro 12.9” M1 devices and the Magic Keyboard. You might watch to see if they can create a similar case for this generation.

Adding: I understand Pitaka and SwitchEasy have similar cases. I used the SwitchEasy CoverBuddy for a while with an 11” iPad Pro, but it didn’t seem as durable as the Moft case I’ve been using more recently.

Reactions: lifereinspired

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a 12.9" M1 iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard, and while great, it weighs the same or more than a MacBook Air.

Between the new iPad and the new keyboard, if they brought the weight down significantly, I'd be tempted to upgrade. Just might have to make a trip to an Apple Store to play with one in person at some point soon.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
The hinge is oval now where it used to be round. This might make it easier to find the plug for charging, currently I have to lean over and look half the time. It could be me though.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
My biggest concern is the lack of side protection on this and the folio case. One slip and the corner is going to get dinged up. Has anyone that owned these type of cases in the past have any comments?

Oh and the price.
I’ve used the Apple Smart Folio on every iPad I’ve had (4 including the original iPad and 3 12.9” iPad Pros). I’ve used the Magic Keyboard with my 12.9” iPad Pro. Both of these are “side-exposed” cases. I’ve never had an issue or even a scare with side protection. It’s a non issue for me, but I’m habitually careful with my devices so your experience may differ.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere

Oh and the price.
I have never experienced that in my last four years of ownership of the iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard. The magnets are quite strong. It is pleasant to use in this format and better than a MacBook Air/Pro IMHO.

Grither88

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
is there a USB port on both sides of the hinge? I can only find photos taken from the left side showing the left port

iSteveo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023

Oh and the price.
I have the 11 inch M1 iPad Pro and the Magic keyboard. I like it. To me personally, it is easier for me to carry the iPad around the house with it. I have not dropped my iPad, so I cannot speak to how it will protect on the corners if dropped. But I have taken them out of town several times with no issues. However, when I do travel with them, I put them in a neoprene case. So far I have had no issues doing this.

incidentallycheckout

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2024
Nice, Apple is reinventing the laptop.
When you can detach the keyboard from your laptop and go into tablet mode, yes.

The same argument is made with devices like the Steam Deck. Someone will dock it and use a monitor, and people will reply saying "Nice job reinventing a gaming pc" and forget the fact it can be undocked and used as a handheld also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.