Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Untapped Potential

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
I want the XR but I realize that I use 3D Touch (peep and pop in photo gallery, on app icons to bring up options menu) a lot. Does haptic touch offer similar functionality, or is it similar to the outcome of toggling off the 3D function?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I want the XR but I realize that I use 3D Touch (peep and pop in photo gallery, on app icons to bring up options menu) a lot. Does haptic touch offer similar functionality, or is it similar to the outcome of toggling off the 3D function?

I use that ALOT for peeping into insta photos. That will go away!

Reactions: MyMacintosh

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
From what I’ve seen on YouTube, none of that works on Xr outside of launching the camera and flashlight from the lock screen.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
3D Touch is a layer within the screen that detects warpage of the screen as you hard click a portion of the screen. XR removes this layer and instead relies on long press like iPad and phones prior to iPhone 6S did.

iPhone XR still has the best feature that was introduced with iPhone 7, Taptic Engine. It gives fine grain feedback on the click and Apple has combined Taptic Engine with long press to simulate 3D Touch -- calling it Haptic Touch.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I suspect the reviews coming out next week will be covering this topic.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
None of those will work with haptic touch. It’s pretty much your current iPhone with 3D off plus some haptic sensation in control center and lock screen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I didn’t realize how much I used the peek and pop feature.

Awesome feature, isn’t it? Especially with checking messages, emails and photos, highly convenient to briefly blip open the attachment or text, without even to fully have to open it all together. One of the core reasons why I upgraded to the iPhone XS this year and not the XR, because 3D Touch is that important to me.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.