Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I have an iMac that I sometimes use when I want to learn some web dev, export camera pics to iPhoto,... but for stuff like viewing facebook, news, netflix, I was using my laptop, it was a thinkpad laptop that last night died after 4 years of doing an excellent job :( now to replcate it what do you think I should get? a MacBook Air? a new iPad? a MacBook Pro?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
To me that sounds like potentially a perfect scenario for the iPad, especially the new iPad with that glorious retina display.

It can easily handle some browsing, Facebook and Netflix with no problem at all, and it'll be cheaper than a new MacBook Air/Pro.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
To me that sounds like potentially a perfect scenario for the iPad, especially the new iPad with that glorious retina display.

It can easily handle some browsing, Facebook and Netflix with no problem at all, and it'll be cheaper than a new MacBook Air/Pro.

Yep this exactly. You don't need a laptop if you're not doing anything intensive when you're mobile.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Honestly I'd go with either an Air or a Pro; the iPad is great but it can't do everything a laptop can do.

If you're looking to do exactly what you stated, an iPad will do it; however down the road when you want to take an actual laptop somewhere to do something of importance or on a trip, you won't have one.

Laptop\Desktop then iPad.
At least a laptop before iPad IMO.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Honestly I'd go with either an Air or a Pro; the iPad is great but it can't do everything a laptop can do.

He's already got a desktop PC, why would he need to replicate functionality if he doesn't want/need to?

If you're looking to do exactly what you stated, an iPad will do it; however down the road when you want to take an actual laptop somewhere to do something of importance or on a trip, you won't have one.

The iPad is an amazingly versatile device. The problem is that it doesn't scream "I can be used for this, this and this" when you first look at it. The iPad is more of a "buy now, find a use for it later" kind of device.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
He's already got a desktop PC, why would he need to replicate functionality if he doesn't want/need to?

That's exactly why i said later down the road when he needs to; are you reading my posts correctly?

The iPad is an amazingly versatile device. The problem is that it doesn't scream "I can be used for this, this and this" when you first look at it. The iPad is more of a "buy now, find a use for it later" kind of device.

These two sentences don't make any sense at all. What are you trying to say? Don't just start hammering at your keyboard because I'm disagreeing with you.

I already stated that I think the iPad is great; I ha one, but logically if you don't have a laptop I wouldn't get one. Wait util he has to do real work on the road. What about a vacation and he wants to save pictures he took with a digital camera? Would you go a week or two with an iPad or a laptop (Air/Pro?)

We don't know him personally so we can only sugges do much. However, you have to realize these things are expensive and you have to look at the future concerning what you buy.

A desktop stays home. Always. But when you leave the house to go anywhere where you'll need a real computer to do actual things like print, compose long or structured documents, REALLY edit photos (iPhoto is a joke to be honest), or actually get NEW music from say, a CD you bought for your family in the store, you can't, because you have a tablet with you.

This is just my opinion of course, but I would never get an iPad without owning a laptop first.

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
These two sentences don't make any sense at all. What are you trying to say? Don't just start hammering at your keyboard because I'm disagreeing with you.

I already stated that I think the iPad is great; I ha one, but logically if you don't have a laptop I wouldn't get one. Wait util he has to do real work on the road. What about a vacation and he wants to save pictures he took with a digital camera? Would you go a week or two with an iPad or a laptop (Air/Pro?)

We don't know him personally so we can only sugges do much. However, you have to realize these things are expensive and you have to look at the future concerning what you buy.

A desktop stays home. Always. But when you leave the house to go anywhere where you'll need a real computer to do actual things like print, compose long or structured documents, REALLY edit photos (iPhoto is a joke to be honest), or actually get NEW music from say, a CD you bought for your family in the store, you can't, because you have a tablet with you.

This is just my opinion of course, but I would never get an iPad without owning a laptop first.

That's also my opinion. The main reason I suggested the iPad is due to the usage he said the device would be getting, plus who doesn't like to save a bit of money.

Also, and I'm no way trying to be aggressive or anything like that, but just picking up on your examples of things that the iPad wouldn't be suited for: you can very easily print from an iPad, as well as compose long documents (albeit with a bluetooth keyboard), and you can obviously also easily get new music onto the device (iTunes store). Admittedly, it doesn't have an optical drive, but then nor does the MacBook Air. Also, editing using iPhoto on the iPad as opposed to a desktop version will soon be a matter of preference. From the tasks that he said he'd be using the device for I'd hazard a guess that iPhoto on the iPad might in fact be perfect.

Again, like you though, these are just my opinions and what really makes the decision is the usage that the device would be getting.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Unless you need the laptop for the keyboard/performance then just go ipad. Ipads are great for light web browsing.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
get a macbook air or pro

I have an iPad 2 and think it's awesome, but there are limitations. Just like another poster stated, it's not as capable as an actual computer and you will run into things that you can't do and have to wait. I recently got a MBP and have used my iPad less and less for other things. Plus, with Game center coming to the Mac in Mountain Lion, I would pick up a laptop.

Look on the Apple website and order a refurbished macbook air or pro. There is one on there right now that is the same price as the high-end iPad and it's more functional and versatile.

And with the refurb, you get a great quality product with a warranty from Apple and I think you can still purchase AppleCare for it. It might be an earlier generation product, but it will also be more advanced and powerful than the iPad. Good luck and have fun.

By the way, what exactly caused your laptop to die?

----------

And due to the fact that you only plan on using it for browsing and email, the energy use would be comparable and you'll have a bigger screen, twice the RAM, twice the storage space and the need for fewer accessories(smart cover, dock, camera connection kit). Ok, I'm done now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.