Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
This new update sucks really bad. It use to auto select the type of keyboard depending on the format of the cell... now it always selects the keyboard and I have to go change it to the number pad (witch is even more complicated to do now). I can't even finger out how to bring up the date keyboard. I found an option to set today's date... but that's not what I want.

Is there a way to get the old version back? I don't like this at all.

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
That was a brutally bad change.. My workflow went to hell when using it now. I can't see any angle where this is an improvement. Cell formatted for currency.. here's the text keyboard, now you're just 3 taps away from the old calculator style one, and I used to be able to type 100, then hit the '-' and switch to negative.. Now it just ends up putting '100-' as text in the cell. wha???

Reactions: arkitect

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
This new update sucks really bad. It use to auto select the type of keyboard depending on the format of the cell... now it always selects the keyboard and I have to go change it to the number pad (witch is even more complicated to do now). I can't even finger out how to bring up the date keyboard. I found an option to set today's date... but that's not what I want.

Is there a way to get the old version back? I don't like this at all.
Ack!! I just opened a Numbers sheet I use every day and discovered this same thing with the update. I have several columns formatted as either numbers or dates/times and used to be able to quickly enter data using the numeric or date keyboards that would automatically pop up. Where did those go?

So much for the "powerful new editing experience" and making "entering data and formulas fast and easy"

bob122989

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks. I did just that. The wrong keyboard popping up is unacceptable. I need to be able to edit numbers quickly. Having to keep selecting something that previously was automatic blows!

I'm not a Numbers user but I would suggest you guys to send feedback to Apple via this Numbers feedback form about this.

Planky

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
Yes this is a stupid update.
No easy way to put in dates or times.
On iPhone the number keyboard is available but requires several taps to select, on the iPad I cannot find the number entry keyboard at all.

On the iPad every time you hit enter after entering a number it moves on to the next cell and reverts to the text input keyboard so you have to reselect the numbers before you can input the next number - insane!

Reactions: George Dawes

ayetta

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
My issue isn't even directed at the Numbers App. Had letters in for my Airplay password, which I had to input on my phone to get access to my Apple TV....was locked on the number pad. Just thought about copy/pasting, but other than that....there's apparently no alternative to resetting that airplay password on your Apple TV, except a full reset. Garbage.

Reactions: George Dawes

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I recall the good old days of claris then appleworks

This new pack of crap is just that - crap

i gave up even attempting anything approaching real work on my itoys , they're a joke

if apple really do dump the mac and go all icrap , count me out

Reactions: sracer

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
I've become used to the changes in the app (using that new formatting panel instead of double-tapping a cell for Copy, Fill etc options) except the keyboard. A very odd choice.

DoctorDoctor

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
I recall the good old days of claris then appleworks

This new pack of crap is just that - crap

i gave up even attempting anything approaching real work on my itoys , they're a joke

if apple really do dump the mac and go all icrap , count me out

Well lets hope they go all icrap as fast as they can then.

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
That's what I did. I first copy the old version to another folder as a backup as well, just in case I accidentally update the iTunes copy. You can always roll back that way.

Then I deleted numbers from my phone and reinstalled with iTunes.
Is the 3.0.5 the only version prior to this update that is being complained? Or did they release any other?

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Is the 3.0.5 the only version prior to this update that is being complained? Or did they release any other?

According to the App Store version history, it was the most recent version prior to 3.1.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
This absolutely sucks. I make hundreds of number entries in spreadsheets. I have to that damn button every time. I wish I had not updated this.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
The fact that this iWork bundle manages to go backward on every update surely shows the degree of attention that Apple is willing to pay to the practical use of their system for real life users. Close to None, I'd say.

Planky

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
And now I have just found out that the version of Numbers I have on my MacBook Pro cannot open my spreadsheets anymore due to this "upgrade". I need to update to the latest version of Numbers for Mac, but that requires 10.12 and my MacBook Pro cannot run 10.12.

Why was I not warned of this!
This has completely f'd up my spreadsheets.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I'm not a Numbers user but I would suggest you guys to send feedback to Apple via this Numbers feedback form about this.
I did just that shortly after I posted my earlier comment to this thread. I encourage others to do so too - let Apple know they made Numbers harder to use!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.