Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
What would it cost to replace the display on a 2012 (first gen) rMBP? The reason I ask is because I have the opportunity to buy a fully specced 2012 rMBP (2,7GHz i7 Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) but I've spotted some white spots and dead pixels in the display.

The computer is perfectly fine otherwise, no scratches, no dents, even the keyboard looks new as the original owner always used an external keyboard and mouse. But the display really bothers me.

The computer is coming on 3 years old so I'm out of initial warranty (no Apple Care). I'd have to pay the full price for the repair, but I may be able to talk that off the price of the unit.

What do you guys think? Is it worth changing the display on a 3 year old rMBP? I really, really, hate things in my screen :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple doesn't just replace the display panel on rMBPs because they're laminated to the top cover. The entire top assembly is going to be replaced and that can be pricey.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Where are you??

What would it cost to replace the display on a 2012 (first gen) rMBP? The reason I ask is because I have the opportunity to buy a fully specced 2012 rMBP (2,7GHz i7 Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) but I've spotted some white spots and dead pixels in the display.

The computer is perfectly fine otherwise, no scratches, no dents, even the keyboard looks new as the original owner always used an external keyboard and mouse. But the display really bothers me.

The computer is coming on 3 years old so I'm out of initial warranty (no Apple Care). I'd have to pay the full price for the repair, but I may be able to talk that off the price of the unit.

What do you guys think? Is it worth changing the display on a 3 year old rMBP? I really, really, hate things in my screen :p

If you are in the UK they have to fix it under consumer law for up to 5 years for an inbuilt defect.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I am in the Netherlands, as far as I know we have a mandatory 2 year warranty. Anything else is up to the goodwill of Apple.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yeah

I am in the Netherlands, as far as I know we have a mandatory 2 year warranty. Anything else is up to the goodwill of Apple.

Thats the general EU warranty. You are going to be looking at 400 to 500 euro at a guess from apple themselves. you may well be better off putting that money towards a new laptop...

In the uk we have a few mac repair places that'll do a replacement for around £200 it will be worth your while having a look if thats available where you are...

It is possible to do it yourself ifixit has a guide looks like a bit of a bitch though...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...ay+Mid+2012+Display+Assembly+Replacement/9708

Asher133

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2015

How good of a deal are they giving you for the laptop and also i would just call your local Apple store and get a price quote

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Just called some repair shops, it's going to cost me around 700 euros, so that's pretty steep. I should be able to get the computer down to 900 euros, but even so that would be 1600 euros just to be happy with a 3 year old computer.

I guess it's more economical to get a new one.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Generally 900 from what I know

vjobs

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2013
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm from the Netherlands as well. However, I will answer in English so everybody can understand.

The standard 2-year warranty is by EU law.
In the Netherlands, warranty is not 2 years, but at least 2 years and sometimes even longer depending on price and reasonable expectations of the product.

The MacBook Pro is an expensive notebook compared to similar spec notebooks.
Also, Apple is a luxury/quality brand, at least how they express themselves.

This is why, in all likelihood, you may expect the MacBook Pro to last at least 3 years without any problems.

There's a consumer website for Dutch consumers, which tells you everything about warranty/law. They also have an example letter how to ask for a free repair/replacement out of warranty but within reasonable expectations of the product. This example can be found here. (Dutch)

I think you should send such a letter to the shop where the MacBook Pro is bought (Apple, or an APR like Amac or iCentre). You're within your rights to ask a free repair/replacement, but they will likely try to let you pay for the repair. Only if you are aware of your rights, and send them a letter to let them know, they will repair for free.

If you need any further assistance, let me know. Good luck!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.