Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

whatsapp.jpg
The latest update to WhatsApp Messenger rolled out on iOS on Sunday and adds a couple of notable new features, one of which is the ability to share files of any type within conversations.

Version 2.17.40 of WhatsApp is the first to allow any file type to be sent using the Document option in the Share menu. Previously files were limited to PDF documents, but now the only limitation is file size, which is officially 100MB.

It's also now possible to pin chats to the top of the chat list to quickly find important conversation threads. To pin a chat, swipe right on the chat and tap the pin icon. Additionally, users can now tap and hold on groups of multiple photos they've received to quickly forward or delete them.

Version 2.17.40 also includes a couple of new hidden features that still appear to be in testing, suggesting they'll soon become public in a forthcoming update. According to WABetaInfo, they include in-line YouTube video playback with Picture-in-Picture support and an emoji search function.

Finally, a new Recall feature is expected to be enabled in 2.17.40+ that allows users to delete texts, images, videos, GIFs, documents, quoted messages, and even Status replies after they have been sent, as long as the Recall feature is used within a five-minute window.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Latest WhatsApp Update Brings Pinned Chat and Multi-Format File Sharing Features

Reactions: Sunny1990

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Most of my friends use iMessage, but a few use whatsapp. I love the feature set. My girlfriend will soon get her first smartphone (I know! She's had the same BB Bold for years and years!) and I'm inclined for us to go Whatsapp rather than iMessage.

EDIT: I am a fully grown adult! My girlfriend is not getting a phone for her 15th birthday!

Reactions: jef82 and twinlight

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
You can share files on iMessage? *looks aroud*

Sure can, but it wasn't obvious. First try from iCloud Drive resulted in the app closing unexpectedly. Next try brought up the iMessage with file attached. A Files iMessage app should really be added yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.