Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otakustay

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Just enter your loved keyword into google image and choose a custom size of 5120x2880

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
Any camera with 5k+ resolution will do. Even the one on iPhone (8MP or 12MP).

No. As a bare minimum you'd need 5120 horizontal pixels. But you don't want the bare minimum because a screen like that will show any quality issue with the photo/wallpaper. But a normal modern camera will be enough. It doesn't need to be a sharpness or pixel monster.
As for the megapixel count the 5K display is 14.7MP.

Reactions: Brookzy

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
True. My bad. Still, many of today's cameras are up to the task. Even smartphones. Especiallu in good light.
I guess it depends on your tolerance. 5K displays are like "pixel peeping" all the time. I've downloaded wallpapers taken with high-end cameras of sufficient resolution, but softness in the image was immediately apparent; my guess is that the lens wasn't up to the task. On the other hand, I have shots taken with my old 10 megapixel camera but incredibly sharp lenses, and those images still stand up nicely on the 5K display despite needing to be resized upward. Ideally you'd have both a high-resolution sensor and a nice lens, but if it's a question of lens or sensor, I'd go with lens.

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
That's true. If you want to use your own photos, you better have very high quality footage.
However, I doubt that anyone intending to use this screen for photo work is using low quality camera gear.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The magic word these days with those high-MP cameras is downsampling and sharpening the picture. If you are up to that, then of course more MP is better, as you have more to throw away :)

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
http://wallpaperswide.com looks pretty useful.
Apart form the annoying watermarking (I know why they think it's a good idea for the site, but not really for us end users, is it site owners!), it's good as you can select native resolution, and/or multi-screen images you can manually split to work across screens.

e.g. A Mountain Lake @ "Dual UHD" 16:9 - 10240 x 2880 [image split in half, then added for each screen].
http://wallpaperswide.com/panoramic_view_of_a_mountain_lake-wallpapers.html

File 07-02-2017, 22 45 40.jpg

(excuse the mess, as my desk space is 'ongoing' shall we say...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.