Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veygo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Hi, Im being a bit stupid and cant figure out which cable to use to connect two DVI equipped Dell U2711 monitors to my 2010 mac pro - is it the ridiculously overpriced mini display port to dual link DVI I require (as in using two 30" ACD's) or do I have to buy another graphics card and use like the 24" ACD's. Please help, I have searched everywhere and cant quite figure this out. Thanks. grahics card is nvidia geforce gt120 512 mb. Dell has dual dvi ports on each monitor.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Since the U2711 has a Displayport connector, you should buy a mini-Displayport to Displayport cable or adapter if your graphics card has mini-Displayport outputs. I use this one with my Dell 3008WFP and it works great and cost much less than the flaky dual link DVI adapter from Apple.

veygo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Cheers kasakka. The card has 1 md port and 1 dual link dvi port. But do you know how to have "2" u2711 monitors running at the same time. Is it possible with this one card as it is with 30" adc. Cheers.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
If it only has 1 mini-Displayport, buy the mini-DP to Displayport cable for it and just use a regular dual link DVI cable (probably comes with the display) for the other one.

veygo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks kasakka. So I take it the mdp to dual link dvi has no relavence in this setup at all. Does the cable setup you suggested allow me to run both monitors at the full resolution of 2560 x 1140?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks kasakka. So I take it the mdp to dual link dvi has no relavence in this setup at all. Does the cable setup you suggested allow me to run both monitors at the full resolution of 2560 x 1140?

Yes. No mini-DP -> Dual Link DVI adapter needed.

One display is connected via the mini-DP -> Displayport cable and the other with a regular dual link DVI cable. Both should work at full resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.