Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about 3D Touch?

• I've disabled it but miss it already. Having second thoughts.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I've disabled it and couldn't care less about it.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • I never used it anyway.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I never knew it even existed.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • It's the most useful feature Apple has ever created.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Apple will regret their decision to remove it.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Apple will remove it but will realize their mistake and bring it back.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I care more about James Charles than 3D Touch.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I use 3D Touch all the time and will not disable it on current or future iPhones.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I love 3D Touch so much that I will never upgrade my current iPhone or iOS.

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I've always found 3D Touch useless and annoying. 90% of the time, it never even worked for me due to finger's micro-slippage and not registering as a result.

I've disabled it to kill the habit early. How about you? Have you disabled it?

Cast your vote on how you feel about its removal.

This poll is a joke, right? I mean who would disable something they are currently using in preparation for a feature that is only rumoured to not exist in iOS 13?

To answer your ridiculous question, no I haven't disabled it. I rarely used it but I won't waste my time worrying about it right now.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I’d say the majority aren’t voting in your poll (At least based off percentages). Probably because they don’t agree with your assertions about 3D Touch in your opening post. Oh, and not to mention iOS 13 supports 3D Touch.
The poll’s flawed because it splits options for those who use it/don’t use it, thereby making the results misleading.

Reactions: nordique

drewdove

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
To address the OP will there be any iPhones with 3D Touch? Will they cut it like they cut the headphone plug? I’ll just use 3D phones and not sweat over it till those phones are as old as the iPhone 6 is now.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Rejoice 3D Touch users - Haptic touch on the XR is fine. Unless a) waiting an extra half second drives you crazy b) you really love peek and pop. Imho most people won’t even notice that 3D Touch has actually gone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To address the OP will there be any iPhones with 3D Touch? Will they cut it like they cut the headphone plug? I’ll just use 3D phones and not sweat over it till those phones are as old as the iPhone 6 is now.

The headphone jack and 3D Touch are not mutually exclusive. Apple removed the 3.5 mm Jack, because they wanted to make more internal space for a larger battery and other enhancements, not to mention, it was a gateway to introduce the AirPods. If Apple removes 3D Touch, it’s nothing more than a cost saving feature (And others have no idea what it does), which also they would introduce the simulated version that the XR uses.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Didn't even know about it and that it was on my 6s. Thanks, just turned it off.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
What happens to hyperlinks in Safari when you longpress it in iOS13?

And how does the homescreen work if you want to delete an app?

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
What happens to hyperlinks in Safari when you longpress it in iOS13?

And how does the homescreen work if you want to delete an app?

If you want to delete an app, you simply longpress it a little longer.

Here’s what happens when I longpress your username:

lVvUNFv.png

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I believe I use 3D touch everyday to respond to messages from locked screen. Not sure if that is currently possible when the 3D touch is off.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
From feedback on these forums it seems haptic Touch is not a perfect substitute for 3dt. Hope Apple doesn’t remove it, but we’ll see in 3 short months. Between June and September that’s the exciting time...

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Why would you disable it because of a rumor? That’s the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.
3D Touch is awesome. Haptic touch is way too slow.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
3D Touch + Shortcuts app on home screen = win.

Hugely underrated and underused is my impression.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why would you disable it because of a rumor? That’s the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.
3D Touch is awesome. Haptic touch is way too slow.

Bolded: Yup. That’s what I think a lot of iPhone users haven’t realized or don’t realize who don’t have experience with 3D Touch, which is much more responsive then haptic touch used on the XR. I gather they use similar functionality, but when you’re used to 3D Touch responding so quickly, Haptic touch doesn’t even compare.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Yup I’ve played around with an xr and it’s completely different. Feels like it lags because it has to in case of pressing too long on accident.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It was a useful feature at times but generally it was not the most useful feature

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It was a useful feature at times but generally it was not the most useful feature

For the majority who actually understood 3D Touch and its functionality from the beginning, were loyal users do utilizing all of its functionality, and for those who didn’t use 3D Touch or understand how to invoke action with it, never used it. It’s one or the other, It was never in between.

Reactions: Wide opeN

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
"An email coming from Apple Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi confirmed to Twitter user donbytyqi that 3D Touch isn’t missing in iOS 13. Federighi said that 3D Touch was missing from the first beta of iOS 13 due to a bug and that they are going to address this in the next beta update. For now, users won’t be able to access the 3D Touch feature, but the Haptic Touch will be able to cover for it for the time being."

The only time that I really notice I'm using 3D touch is when 3D touching a track in Apple Music to add to add or remove from a playlist. I like that it's instant as opposed to having to wait just a little longer in the case of haptic touch. It just feels intuitive. Of course, I've yet to try haptic touch out in iOS 13, and I;m sure I would adjust to the change fine if 3D Touch were removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.