Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
WTH? that is seriously the most ridiculous thing i have heard of.. i dont know ANY women that need an application to tell them when their period is!! stupid.. when are people going to make USEFUL apps?

sorry, i just had to express that. there arent MANY woman on this forum, and it just irked me.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Maybe it is a visual reminder that you should stop being cranky and be nice to us guys when you see it on your iPhone...

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
oh yea.. i'm supposed to be SUPER happy that, in 3 days, i am going to start bleeding., bloating and cramping.. yea, thats a GREAT way.. Who the hell wants to count that down anyways? i like to live in innocent bliss.

caitlin

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Um, to know if you are -late-.

You can tell a lot about what is going on with your body by whether you are on time or not.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
umm. i dont need a calender to tell me if i am late. and really, if i am worried about being "late" than i think i have other worse things to worry about.

I dunno just seems USELESS

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Why do people always complain about how many similar apps there are?

I come from one thread complaining that Apple turned down an app that was too similar to iTunes, and I come here and someone else is complaining that there are too many that do similar things. :rolleyes: God, get a grip. Who cares if they're similar? I see apps that are similar to what I want, but not quite what I'm looking for, and then I get excited when I see the one that does it exactly how I want.

Firstly, they're not all the same, just like the others. Yes, the basics may be the same, but the developers decided that their take was different enough. Who cares? Don't get one.

Secondly, not every woman is regular or regular enough to know down to the day when she'll start. Also, some of them aren't just about the period, some extrapolate the info to give ovulation info, or other cycle info. Some women also need the precise info for medical reasons, and if they do, why not keep it in a dedicated app if they want? What do you want them to do, use a notebook? ;)

Thirdly, some people are just generally clueless about their bodies. I'm all for anything that will help them pay attention.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i wasnt really complaiing that there were too many.. it just seems ridiculous to even have ONE of them.. HOW are they useful?

personally, if you can not figure out when your period os going to be, an iphone app is not going to be able to tell you. I guess ovulation and such makes sense.. but really, there are ones that just tell you when you are going to have your period.. WHY

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
i wasnt really complaiing that there were too many.. it just seems ridiculous to even have ONE of them.. HOW are they useful?

personally, if you can not figure out when your period os going to be, an iphone app is not going to be able to tell you. I guess ovulation and such makes sense.. but really, there are ones that just tell you when you are going to have your period.. WHY
Ever heard of planning?

My BFF was planning her wedding. You don't want to have your period on your honeymoon. We had to count ahead over a year and a half to try to find a weekend that worked for a variety of factors, including her cycle.

That's just one example.

Basically, not every woman keeps track. If she can just launch an app and know, why not?

And there are apps in the store that tell you when Christmas is. :rolleyes:

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
because you can not plan your period a year in advance with a computer app.. she was SUPER lucky if it worked out, but even you said they arent that regular.. and if you REALLY wanted, all you would need is a weekly calculator. they have those apps on the app store now..

really, if you are THAT worried about having your period on a certain day a year and a half from the now, then go on the depot shot and you wont have it. PERIOD.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Okay, Lindsay, you win. There shouldn't be period apps in the app store.

:rolleyes:

You may not agree with other people's reasons, but that doesn't make them invalid. Go to Tucows or Handango sometime, and you'll see that period/cycle/ovulation calendars are abundant for all platforms. So all the women who get them must be idiots.

No, I don't have one, but I wouldn't presume to tell other women that they're stupid for getting one.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
DID I SAY THAT?! omg.. ok you really need to either NOT read posts that have topics that annoy you or just not take things so seriously. christ

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
You asked for it. I was done with this thread.

DID I SAY THAT?! omg.. ok you really need to either NOT read posts that have topics that annoy you or just not take things so seriously. christ

YES. YOU DID. (since you like yelling so much)

I've been calm, and was just pointing out another viewpoint. You're the one who is yelling throughout this thread.

On to my point. Or rather, your point:

Your title said there shouldn't be so many.
Why are there sooo many Period apps
Then, you backed down on that and said that you weren't complaining about the number, but about their very existence.
i wasnt really complaiing that there were too many.. it just seems ridiculous to even have ONE of them..
And all through it, you expressed how USELESS and STUPID the apps are, and by extension, the women that use them.
WTH? that is seriously the most ridiculous thing i have heard of.. i dont know ANY women that need an application to tell them when their period is!! stupid
HOW are they useful?

umm. i dont need a calender to tell me if i am late. and really, if i am worried about being "late" than i think i have other worse things to worry about.

I dunno just seems USELESS

Seemed pretty clear to me.

I have to say that I have noticed that you're prone to hyperbole, so maybe I should have taken all of your "USELESS" and "STUPID" comments with a grain of salt. ;)

Have a good night.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Is there any Period app for the Annuale pill?

It would be cool to have it sitting there for 11 months and then have it go "HOLD ON TO YOUR F***ING HATS!"

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I have to say that I have noticed that you're prone to hyperbole, so maybe I should have taken all of your "USELESS" and "STUPID" comments with a grain of salt. ;)
Good job at maintaining your cool. :)

As I mentioned before, there must be a market for these types of apps otherwise developers would not dedicate the resources to create such apps.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
you probably should have taken the whole thread with a grain of salt because it was just a mindless rant. You need a chill pill 100%

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Sounds to me like the period reminders on your iPhones must be going crazy right now (BEEP BEEP BEEP ... BEEP BEEP BEEP).

Sorry ... couldn't resist ;)

L

Lau

mindless rant

Well, you got that bit right.

I fail to see the problem here – some apps are useful to you, some aren't. Coincidentally, some apps are useful to others, some aren't. Guess what, these might not be the same thing... Crazy times.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Well, you got that bit right.

I fail to see the problem here – some apps are useful to you, some aren't. Coincidentally, some apps are useful to others, some aren't. Guess what, these might not be the same thing... Crazy times.
Agree.

Calmly wondering or questioning the utility of an app makes sense.

To rail against an app in an open forum ... crazy times as you say. :)

tweaks

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
WTH? that is seriously the most ridiculous thing i have heard of.. i dont know ANY women that need an application to tell them when their period is!! stupid.. when are people going to make USEFUL apps?

sorry, i just had to express that. there arent MANY woman on this forum, and it just irked me.

You wouldn't by chance ...........happen to be on your period now are ya?

Relax.....it's all good ;)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles

I'm not on the pill but I'm on once-monthly Nuvaring, and I skip periods. I need some way of keeping track of when I insert and remove rings. If I don't, then I don't know when I will be protected and I will start bleeding. Yucky, but it's the truth.

In fact, I did write an app for myself (http://janeylicious.com/ringthing/), but have yet to release it for various reasons.

Just because you don't need it because it doesn't meet your needs doesn't mean that other women can't possibly want some sort of app that does this for them. Pretty freaking selfish, if you ask me.

edit: Oh yeah, when I wasn't on Nuvaring, I was on Seasonale which was 3 months at a time. Before Seasonale, my gyno and my doc told me to keep track of when I had my periods since they were so very bizarre and irregular. Sorry my body is not hormonally balanced enough for you!

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Also, you ever consider they might not be targeted at women? Boyfriends also need to keep track of periods and lets be honest, we aren't exactly good at it on our own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.