Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Still no iSight vid cam out there since its EOL. I know majority of macs now ship with isight built in but older hardware (G4/G5 products) dont have them built in or in recent times the ACD/Mac Pros

I was hoping someone would have asked for a status update during the Aug 7th event but that didnt happen.

Anyone think there'll be another iSight cam or will just be built into the ACDs?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think built-in iSight in everything except the Mini and Mac Pro + native support for USB webcams such as the XBox one = no more iSight ever....

Granted there is perhaps nothing quite so stylish as an option for ACD owners, the options are otherwise excellent, ranging from very cheap but functional cams to relatively feature-rich ones. :)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I think built-in iSight in everything except the Mini and Mac Pro + native support for USB webcams such as the XBox one = no more iSight ever....

Granted there is perhaps nothing quite so stylish as an option for ACD owners, the options are otherwise excellent, ranging from very cheap but functional cams to relatively feature-rich ones. :)

I see a video conferencing revolution around the corner. Alongside the release of the iPhone 2G (featuring 3G highspeed, iChat with video conferencing), will be the iSight 2G with iChat support for Mac+PC and a bundled remote for iTunes w/ bundled Front Row for Mac+PC. I think it's believable, I mean if they made iTunes and Safari for Windows, why not iChat?

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
I think video conferencing is just waiting on the industry, we have the components for decent video chat amongst a lot users but all the different networks are fragmented.

Msn - mac support non existant plus video is crap
ichat - awsome but doesnt chat to AIM clients anymore plus not used in europe.

We need one client for all, another subject though!

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Yeah I know It's not iChat we're talking about but...
I think iChat would be a HUGE success if you could chat AND video chat with MSN, Yahoo!, AIM and .Mac users all in ONE!! I mean HOW MANY MAC USERS USE iCHAT?? Huh?? How many?? A third??

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I mean HOW MANY MAC USERS USE iCHAT?? Huh?? How many?? A third??
All of the Mac users I know use it. Then again, they all live in the US and have AIM accounts. I still find it hard to believe that MSN Messenger is actually popular in Europe... :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I see a video conferencing revolution around the corner. Alongside the release of the iPhone 2G (featuring 3G highspeed, iChat with video conferencing), will be the iSight 2G with iChat support for Mac+PC and a bundled remote for iTunes w/ bundled Front Row for Mac+PC. I think it's believable, I mean if they made iTunes and Safari for Windows, why not iChat?

That's an intriguing idea... I see it as having pros and cons. One big issue is that iChat, unlike most of the other Apple apps, depends on OS X's ability to manage firewalls for low configuration (if you want to videoconference on a Mac, connected via AEBS, with iChat and an iSight, you have to do zero port configuration). iChat, when it works, is much better than Windows Live, but Windows Live works reasonably well, and I don't see people stampeding away from it for iChat. The iPhone, though, is clearly capable of videoconferencing with some tweaking (as demonstrated in the past few days), though, and videoconferencing is definitely one of those areas where the technology has existed for years, and yet no one uses it well. Rife for Apple intervention.

BTW, the latest beta of Mercury is pretty nice, and supports video on MSN :)

Unless I'm misreading their blog... their status on OS X is still webcam (video + text IM) and receive AV (video + audio), but not transmit AV, correct? It's been a while since I tried Mercury. It and aMSN are both very nice... I generally prefer aMSN when it works, but they're both very nice.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
the isight is currently going on ebay for more than it's rrp. Even obviously used models are making close to 100 pounds. I just wish I had bought one when we all kne that it was to be discontinued. I bet there are some stores out there with some just languisihing on the shelves, just wish i knew where to find them.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
All of the Mac users I know use it. Then again, they all live in the US and have AIM accounts. I still find it hard to believe that MSN Messenger is actually popular in Europe... :eek:

WOW is it popular!! (well at least in the UK, Spain and France:D) I have to use it to chat with my friends...:(
I use Adium because MSN messenger for Mac is a piece of ****!!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Everyone I know uses it. Everyone.

Haven't found anyone else using a different thing.

I wish iChat would support MSN Messenger fully.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah i dunno why Apple still won't support MSN/Yahoo i guess that leaves hope for Adium and the rest but AIM and .Mac just wont cut it

I also wished i had ponied up for an iSight before discontinuation. Oh well. I still think Apple would make money if they offered a 2MP standalone iSight cam that supported all chat client. Even windows folks would get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.