Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Exactly! People aren't understanding the point of this device. It isn't supposed to be a full blown computer computer running a desktop OS with touch. That concept has failed.

Steve Jobs echoes your point. From Walt:

Basically this a prequel to the iPhone, just released after the fact. This device will garner an entirely new take on how mobile applications should be developed and interact with users. They are making a device that we didn't know we needed.

you get it 100%. so few dont though. I think i get it too haha. but just wanted to point you out.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree with the OP, I can't recall seeing this kind of fundamental opposition to an Apple device, primarily because of its rather nebulous need. At least with iPhones and MacBooks, you have a defined need.

Because Jobs didn't blow everyone away, the device will sell well initially to those who don't mind carrying another 2-3 pounds of gear, mostly gearheads.

But these people will need to be absolutely blown away by their hands-on experience or this device is doomed. I don't see Joe Six Pack picking this up without our explicit recommendations.

BTW, this thread title is hilarious. :p

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I bet 50% of buyers don't realize the iPad does not come with a full browser that supports Flash or addons.

That didn't stop iPhone or iPod touch users. Ask any of the 75 million+ of them.

Why should Apple support a proprietary format from a company who still can't write a plugin for OS X that isn't s**t and doesn't mess up your browser. I prefer they support open standards such as HTML5. YouTube is starting to make the switch. I hope others will as well.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Well pretty much when every 8-9 post/review/youtube clip out of 10 is bashing, that´s how I figured the percentage.

So you arbitrarily make up statistics, without doing any surveying/polling, and tout them as fact?

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
That a concise summary of the internet right there :)

Oh, definitely. Did you know that although 90% of people hate the iPad, 80% are paid by Microsoft to bash it? And 70% of those people will be paid to destroy every iPad they can get their hands on.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
So you arbitrarily make up statistics, without doing any surveying/polling, and tout them as fact?

it's alright, you gotta forgive him, he was desperately looking for evidence to hate an unreleased product just because he wasn't able to try it out yesterday... :p but he'll bounce back, don't worry... he'll be camping outside one of them local apple stores in town just to get his hands on the iPad! ;)

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
anyone who has touched the device - loves it
everyone else - hates it

that speaks volume right there.

this is not going to be like the iphone, where people already had a phone and just simply replaced that need with an iphone.

this will be more like the ipod (which took years to really take off), and even that you can say people just replaced their CD players.

this is going to be a long battle gentlemen (& ladies).

I genuinely think this thing is gonna be out of stock for the first 9 months (3 months prior to Gen 2 hysteria right!), and despite all this crap-hate-talk goin on everyone is already itching to get their sweaty mits on one and they will rock out on the couch, in the park, in the office, in the car, and in the bed with it every day and night.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009

You still going on with that? :p You really believe I have real statistics? Hahaha, well I don´t and I didn´t state my numbers as facts. Just an impression I´ve got. Are you satisfied now? :)

By the way, Steve Jobs claimed it´s the best web browsing experience ever, but when he was demonstrating it, it had those empty white borders just like on iPhone while he was scrolling around the page, like it didn´t have enough RAM to load the full page fast enough. And of course there wasn´t flash. That was pretty lame. I would expect at least getting rid of those empty white unloaded borders.

So I would say browsing the web with my iMac or MacBook Pro is still miles better. At least I don´t get that kind of jamming.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
I genuinely think this thing is gonna be out of stock for the first 9 months (3 months prior to Gen 2 hysteria right!), and despite all this crap-hate-talk goin on everyone is already itching to get their sweaty mits on one and they will rock out on the couch, in the park, in the office, in the car, and in the bed with it every day and night.

apple will limit supply like crazy.

trust me...there will be waiting lines because each store will have so few.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Hmmm, do these posts sound familiar? Good thing the naysayers were right and the iPod failed.
:D

Edit:
You still going on with that? :p You really believe I have real statistics? Hahaha, well I don´t and I didn´t state my numbers as facts. Just an impression I´ve got. Are you satisfied now? :)

No, I knew you didn't have real statistics. I just find it ridiculous that it's become acceptable on the internet to create false statistics, and that no one questions sources.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about a big ipod touch? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

haha

- taken from 2001.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver

By the way, Steve Jobs claimed it´s the best web browsing experience ever, but when he was demonstrating it, it had those empty white borders just like on iPhone while he was scrolling around the page, like it didn´t have enough RAM to load the full page fast enough. And of course there wasn´t flash. That was pretty lame. I would expect at least getting rid of those empty white unloaded borders.

So I would say browsing the web with my iMac or MacBook Pro is still miles better. At least I don´t get that kind of jamming.

you're comparing the ipad to a computer...they're not the same thing! It did make browsing experience better...it's a bigger screen, crisper, fast scrolling, fast loading of webpages...(not rendering two totally different things)...sites render slowly on the iPhone too...and the iPod touch, and any hand held internet capable device.

You're grasping for air...stop it...

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I'll toss out a stat: Hulu.com is up to 53 million users a month and over 950 million streams. That's 53 million people who won't be buying an iPad for web browsing :p

I bet one reason Apple isn't allowing Flash support is due to ATTs inability to increase their wireless data to support that many people using Flash and streaming video. I have an iPhone and I can tell when the data transfer is slow.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hmmm, do these posts sound familiar? Good thing the naysayers were right and the iPod failed.
:D

Edit:

No, I knew you didn't have real statistics. I just find it ridiculous that it's become acceptable on the internet to create false statistics, and that no one questions sources.

Well check for yourself, I´m not far off.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile

it really IS becoming painful to deal with you... this is NOT a desktop computer! GOD, you're so damn stubborn!
you have two simple solutions:
1. Accept it & get along with it
2. Frickin forget about it and go bash on something else!! :mad:

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I'll toss out a stat: Hulu.com is up to 53 million users a month and over 950 million streams. That's 53 million people who won't be buying an iPad for web browsing :p

What? That is an awful stat...so one site will make it or break it? Really? Please reiterate on this.

Thanks.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
you're comparing the ipad to a computer...they're not the same thing! It did make browsing experience better...it's a bigger screen, crisper, fast scrolling, fast loading of webpages...(not rendering two totally different things)...sites render slowly on the iPhone too...and the iPod touch, and any hand held internet capable device.

You're grasping for air...stop it...

How does the iPad make web browsing "better"? It doesn't support Flash or addons??? If I can do more with my computer browser how does an iPad browser give me a "better" experience?

Really? I think you're grasping for air.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile

I bet one reason Apple isn't allowing Flash support is due to ATTs inability to increase their wireless data to support that many people using Flash and streaming video. I have an iPhone and I can tell when the data transfer is slow.

and you really think that those 53 million people browse the internet JUST for Hulu!?

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

So Hulu stopped people from buying iPhones and iPod touches?

No, Apple doesn't support flash because it is a crap plugin that is resource intensive and makes the browser unstable.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
How does the iPad make web browsing "better"? It doesn't support Flash or addons??? If I can do more with my computer browser how does an iPad browser give me a "better" experience?

The iPad is not meant to replace a computer. It's not meant to be a heavy duty browsing machine, capable of playing every flash game out there that requires multiple keyboard keys. It's a personal entertainment device. That's why it has the 'i' prefix. Apple's computers start with Mac. Apple's entertainment devices start with i.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Well only time will tell folks, it's time to take bets. Who wants to bet that the iPad will be a huge hit that outsells every other product made by Apple this year? ;)

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
What? That is an awful stat...so one site will make it or break it? Really? Please reiterate on this.

Thanks.

Not just one site. Like I have said.

I think this ain´t gonna sell well. People already have iPhones and MacBooks that will do so much more than this device. So there is no need for a large iPod Touch and pretty much everyone is saying the same thing everywhere and that they aren´t interested in buying it for that reason.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

You answered yourself.

doesn't support Flash = a better experience.

No crashes = good.

Well only time will tell folks, it's time to take bets. Who wants to bet that the iPad will be a huge hit that outsells every other product made by Apple this year? ;)

Piper Jaffray at least thinks it will sell 4 million units this year and 8 million in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.