Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I just ordered a C2D MBP and have been looking for a way to sell my PB and even got an offer for it BUT i have an unhealthy attraction for this thing. This isn't the first time i've tried to sell it and i always end up holding on to it. A faster machine would be ideal and whilst the PB is no slouch its a tad slow for me.

So whats my problem, this is the first mac i've had doubts about giving away. In fact i've considered getting it Laser etched this week but that'll mean i have to keep it till its death. Its also a shame i can't keep both...well technically. I can keep it and my parents would buy me a new Laptop in 4-5 months time or take matters into my own hands and swap the PB for a MBP now. The latter will make me more productive now whilst the former will make me suffer in productivity for 4-5 months...nothing major though.

What do i do?

Edit: Its the last rev PB

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
depends what size/age it is.

this powerbook is starting to show the bad speed bus when using Capture One/Photoshop. Takes FAR too long to do pictures in bulk.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Its the last rev PB, 15" and its barely just touching 6 months old.

jkdsteve

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
I have exactly the same addiction...finding it hard to let go of the perfect 'last' PPC machine I have.

I felt the same way about by TiBook...but eventually let that go.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
sell it man. if you still have it five years down the road, you will probably end up giving it to goodwill or something. heck it might actually be classified as an antique judging by how fast technology is emerging these days! ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would keep it if you don't need the cash to finance your other machine. I intend to keep my PowerBook even after I buy the mac pro in the next year.

Kamikaze

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Denver, Colorado
If you think that is bad. I'm new to Mac (this Year) and after the GF's Intel iMac and my Macbook, I went hunting for an iBook for her and the kids. Most kids stuff is still not universal. My problem now is I can't keep the 12" ibook out of my hands. The PPC chip is pretty nice.:D

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you think that is bad. I'm new to Mac (this Year) and after the GF's Intel iMac and my Macbook, I went hunting for an iBook for her and the kids. Most kids stuff is still not universal. My problem now is I can't keep the 12" ibook out of my hands. The PPC chip is pretty nice.:D

The PPC is still a viable processor. I doubt I'll need to change to an Intel Mac for a good four more years...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
The PPC is still a viable processor. I doubt I'll need to change to an Intel Mac for a good four more years...

FOUR YEARS! whoa nelly, well i can see where you're coming from. If i had a Quad G5 or even a 2.1GHz G5 iMac i'd be happy. But the G4.............

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
If I were in your position I would give the PowerBook to a family member. That way it remains close, yet you can move on to your newer, faster MacBook Pro.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
If I were in your position I would give the PowerBook to a family member. That way it remains close, yet you can move on to your newer, faster MacBook Pro.

I would but most of my family are already in intel macs. My sis has a MBP, bro has a MacBook. All others swear by HP.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So annoying, gut feeling tells me to sell/return the MBP and keep the PB for a while longer and that somehow it'll be worth it. Santa Rosa keeps ringing in my head.

But all logic dictates i should sell it now and that i'm even lucky im still getting offers for a G4 machine thats not a 12" model BUT it's the last ever G4......

Argghh!

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
FOUR YEARS! whoa nelly, well i can see where you're coming from. If i had a Quad G5 or even a 2.1GHz G5 iMac i'd be happy. But the G4.............

4 years is a long time, but what do you need all that power for? The vast majority of users' demands can be met with the G4. I have a G4 Powerbook (1.5ghz and 1.5gb ram) that handles everything I need to do quite well, including multitrack recording and raw editing in photoshop. There are only a few areas where users truly need a lot of extra horsepower, the rest is just "snappiness."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.