Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
FcHXPYYagAEq-qy

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Apple is very good at using software to sell hardware. They did this well with 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s. It was the new hidden context menus, previews, and keyboard swipe that made this feature so incredible at launch. As we know, all of these were expanded to non-3D Touch devices. Turns out they could’ve been designed to also work with long-press on iPhone 6 and 5s all along, but fewer iPhone 6s would’ve been sold…

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Apple is very good at using software to sell hardware. They did this well with 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s. It was the new hidden context menus, previews, and keyboard swipe that made this feature so incredible at launch. As we know, all of these were expanded to non-3D Touch devices. Turns out they could’ve been designed to also work with long-press on iPhone 6 and 5s all along, but fewer iPhone 6s would’ve been sold…
Agreed. Phone improvements have reached diminishing returns. With most phones being good enough to keep for 3-4 years, it’s becoming more challenging for manufacturers to incentivise users to buy the flagships. On Facebook and instagram, can you tell who shot their photos with a $1000 13 Pro or 3 year old iPhone? No

The dynamic island is Apple‘s first big aesthetic feature in 5 years that makes an iPhone look new. Naturally they want to use it as a selling point for their ever more expensive Pro Line Up.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
You clearly can't do the same things with Force Touch as with 3D Touch. Alone the fact, that 3D Touch is (was) basically instantly.

jambon

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
London
I think the 'bubble' looks better, especially in the Music image, but still looks great and obviously very much doable if generating new Pro sales is not a consideration...

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Perhaps it has something to do with the smaller Face ID hardware and FaceTime camera and other components? I get tired of the "Apple is just pushing you around to other models" which is the same as "Apple could but they are withholding it from you because they are big greedy meanies." My understanding is that to accomplish Ultrafluid Atoll, several elements had to be reengineered, it wasn't just software. Perhaps to hit a price point the engineering couldn't accommodate it on the standard models. Or perhaps it required the new chip to run the new version of the front-facing camera array hardware.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

This is probably why. For some reason it does not make it feel like it is part of the system this way. It feels like it is a bigger notch. And you will lose other important information.

Just noticed that the Wifi and Mobile strength icons also disappear on the 14 Pro.... somehow this seems more important to me than a call time info and some fancy animation on the right...

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
This is probably why. For some reason it does not make it feel like it is part of the system this way. It feels like it is a bigger notch. And you will lose other important information.

Just noticed that the Wifi and Mobile strength icons also disappear on the 14 Pro.... somehow this seems more important to me than a call time info and some fancy animation on the right...
They only disappear when the Dynamic Island expands.

GoodGuy313

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
I agree that it has the same feel as when they did the 3D touch feature. At first glance, I think it might have more use. It will obviously go to the expensive Pro models just for having that enticing distinguishing new feature.

Reactions: Yr Blues

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
They only disappear when the Dynamic Island expands.

I know. But when it expands is when you gain functionality.
But in the example of the screenshot, you gain unimportant information about the call, but can't see cell reception anymore, which IMHO seems like a more important information during a call, than the useless animation on the right. ;)
So in this case it feels like you loose more than you gain, apart from a nice animation.

Reactions: testcard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.