Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conanthewarrior

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Hi everyone, just a quick question.

I have a new (to me) MacBook Pro, that had a clean install- I had to set it up like a brand new Mac.

I was looking for some files related to logic, and in application support there is a WhatsApp folder. I do not use WhatsApp, and have not downloaded it.

Is this a part of Mac OS now? It isn't in my applications folder, so I am a bit baffled as to why this folder is there.

Thanks, Conan.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
It is not in any of my "Application Support" folder.
Could you provide us with more details on the path?

Is it in Mac...HD -> Library -> application support
Mac...HD ->User -> Name -> Library -> application support
Or something 3rd?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Do you have the browser Opera installed? That has a Whatsapp component but I'm not sure if it shows in Application Support.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone, just a quick question.

I have a new (to me) MacBook Pro, that had a clean install- I had to set it up like a brand new Mac.

I was looking for some files related to logic, and in application support there is a WhatsApp folder. I do not use WhatsApp, and have not downloaded it.

Is this a part of Mac OS now? It isn't in my applications folder, so I am a bit baffled as to why this folder is there.

Thanks, Conan.
If you did not reformat and fully reinstall macOS from scratch, there's probably more than just WhatsApp left over from the previous owner. It's possible to delete all user accounts without reinstalling the operating system. If you didn't do the reformat and reinstall of macOS, you should do it.

conanthewarrior

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
It is not in any of my "Application Support" folder.
Could you provide us with more details on the path?

Is it in Mac...HD -> Library -> application support
Mac...HD ->User -> Name -> Library -> application support
Or something 3rd?
I click on finder, then hold Alt, click go, library, application support, and it is there. It's not there if I go the Mac hd>library way.

How do I do the reinstall of Mac OS from scratch? I've already done a fair bit of work in logic, and have recorded a lot of vocals and produced a couple of tracks. I really don't want to lose these, or everything I have set up.

If it is just a random WhatsApp folder left over, I'm not too bothered- I can just delete it. It's if there is anything nefarious I would be worried, but I trust who I purchased the Mac from.

The apps I have installed are Logic, pro tools, reaper, Chrome, IPVanish VPN, LMMS, Macs fan control, Escribe ( a app for programming DNA boards), Malwarebytes, Keka, and one racing game to test. Is it possible the folder come with one of the apps? I don't actually have WhatsApp as an application.

EDIT: Here are my folders, it seems only WhatsApp is left over, this is going both ways to get to the application support folder-
u9VF0sf.png

67dIRZl.png

Last edited:

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Personally I would not use a computer as my personal device if I had not reinstalled it myself (bought 2nd hand). It should be fairly easy to make a backup of your work, just copy associated file onto a usb, external drive or into the cloud.

the path you use to get into library is to get into the user library. be aware that a Mac has 3 libraries, one located in Mac HD, another located in system, and then a library for each users.

it should not be a problem if you deleted the WhatsApp folder. I would in that case also go trough "Application Scripts", "Caches", "Containers", "LaunchAgents", "saved Application Stats" to see if there is any remnant of WhatsApp there and then delete it

If you consider doing a reinstall here is a guide on how to make a complet reinstall removing anything on the drive https://www.imore.com/how-do-clean-install-macos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.