Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Why has all the news about the ipad been so negtive from the media? I mean apple has always gave use good mobile products iphone, macbooks, ipod. So why are people so negtive about the ipad?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I'm guessing it's because snarky headlines gather more page clicks and more eyes on ads.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
I wouldn't say that people are negative about, overall it seems that this will be hugely popular.

Ofcourse some people are negative but thats life.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The iPod and iPhone were treated the same, so why should it be different now?

It's in the nature of human beings.

It has happened before and it will happen again.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
Why has all the news about the ipad been so negtive from the media? I mean apple has always gave use good mobile products iphone, macbooks, ipod. So why are people so negtive about the ipad?

they said the same thing about the iPod and iPhone,

The only technical journalist I pay any attention to is walt mossberg of the wall street journal

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Perhaps you're new to the media. Let me "enlighten" you.

People love to see big corporations fail. And people like to raise things to a level of worship and then enjoy tearing it apart. Don't believe me? Look at pop culture. The press loves to create "celebs" and then tear them down.

Look at actors, politicians, reality "stars" - now throw in corporations and products.

If people raise the iPad to "jesus" device level - there are going to be people to relish in tearing it down.

It's nothing new and has been around for decades in the media

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It reminds me of the Newton. Same thing

Expect more of the same.

It's just the form factor.

It's like "Where's the keyboard?. "I'm a journalist and need a keyboard"

"Anything that i don't need must be useless"....la-di-da.

Maybe they will succeed in ruining it's buzz. They ruin a lot of things.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Perhaps you're new to the media. Let me "enlighten" you.

People love to see big corporations fail. And people like to raise things to a level of worship and then enjoy tearing it apart. Don't believe me? Look at pop culture. The press loves to create "celebs" and then tear them down.

Look at actors, politicians, reality "stars" - now throw in corporations and products.

If people raise the iPad to "jesus" device level - there are going to be people to relish in tearing it down.

It's nothing new and has been around for decades in the media

I don't think the ipad has been hyped up by the media. If anything it has been called a let down and not worth buying. Now the hp slate has been hyped up. the ipad has not it being called a big ipod touch and they are not saying it like it is a good thing.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah that is true, this moronic negativity that's also showcased so much in this forum (threads like "what is a tablet even good for") is at best boring and at worst grating. I will also put it down to paid journalists by competitors, pc trolls, dim witted people, people perennially projecting their issues in forums, envious people.

Apple has obliged them to react this way because instead of the competitors vapourware devices (see the courier, not dhl, lol) they have a product coming out in a few days, with a great first in class ips screen, immense battery life that defies expectations, whole new productivity apps like pages, keynote and numbers completely overhauled for a touch interface and ready to go (no one was expecting that one either), an electronic bookstore, new overhauled apps for mail, contacts, calendar, in a slim super sexy device, and with the whole ecosystem of the app store and possibly the most robust and secure tablet/phone OS in the iphone OS.

And the kicker in this is that everyone was expecting prices to sky rocket, yet apple as they did with the 27" imac (currently a bargain priced all in one, not matched by anyone, that doubles up as a great screen) are leveraging their contacts and bulk purchases to offer the ipad in very, very cheap prices. Not just competitive prices but actually cheap in terms of what the ipad offers, ips displays, advanced batteries, aluminum casing, custom made silicone chip. So they've painted everyone in a corner because the competition just can't compete on built quality, service and software availability but they can't even compete in specs for an el cheapo ipad at the moment either, like they did with netbooks.

The wise president of ACER, said they would not be competing with apple and are not releasing a tablet. Guess why?

All that makes a lot of people furious and very, very envious. Well, too bad for them. :) The ipad is here to stay and revolutionise computing.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I don't think the ipad has been hyped up by the media. If anything it has been called a let down and not worth buying. Now the hp slate has been hyped up. the ipad has not it being called a big ipod touch and they are not saying it like it is a good thing.

I was just noticing today that various posters believe alternately that the iPad has been totally hyped by the 'liberal media' OR that it is being slagged by it. I guess people really do see what they want to see.

I think you have to pay attention to a few things, especially whether what you are reading is a blog. Bloggers survive by ads and page hits. They'll say anything to get eyes on their pages, so the more contentious the better.

I cannot really speak to the negativity as I am new to this 'fanboys vs haters' thing with Apple, and honestly the extremists on both sides leave me scratching my head.

Read the specs. Decide if it'll fit into your daily technology routine. If you can't picture realistic usage scenarios, don't buy it. If you're not sure until you have your hands on one, don't pre-order. But try to care less about what other people think about your decision. It's not that hard and it makes life much less stressful.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

I didn't say that was the only reason.

I swear the reading comprehension level on this board is horrendous.

Can you please re-read my post.

I gave several factors. And the first/biggest one I mentioned is that people like to see the giants fail/fall.

Wow.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I was just noticing today that various posters believe alternately that the iPad has been totally hyped by the 'liberal media' OR that it is being slagged by it. I guess people really do see what they want to see.

I think you have to pay attention to a few things, especially whether what you are reading is a blog. Bloggers survive by ads and page hits. They'll say anything to get eyes on their pages, so the more contentious the better.

I cannot really speak to the negativity as I am new to this 'fanboys vs haters' thing with Apple, and honestly the extremists on both sides leave me scratching my head.

Read the specs. Decide if it'll fit into your daily technology routine. If you can't picture realistic usage scenarios, don't buy it. If you're not sure until you have your hands on one, don't pre-order. But try to care less about what other people think about your decision. It's not that hard and it makes life much less stressful.

I think the ipad has got more hate then anything. I mean how many people do you see talking about iwork on the ipad? But you see people talking about it not having flash.

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
It's human nature ... people complain when reality does not meet expectations. It doesn't matter how outrageous or unreasonable the expectations are, if the product or service does not measure up then it is a flop, failure, mistake, etc, etc.

One thing I have observed about Apple is that they seldom play to or buckle under customer expectations. They do a very good job of researching how people actually use technology, where the tech trends are going, and they usually strike a good balance between feature set, cost, and usability.

They avoid the "put in every feature including the kitchen sink" mentality that often makes for very feature rich devices but the integration with software tends to be unpolished. Apple has banked on the notion that a few less features balanced against a rock solid user experience is a better winning combination. Then you add additional features when you can properly incorporate it into the device without detracting from the user experience.

Most of the criticism is more about taste/personal preference than it is about a thorough examination of what will or won't make a device successful. That is why there is more than one automobile manufacturer. Don't like Ford's? You can waste your time complaining about what they don't have or do have that you think is stupid or you can go buy another brand that has what you want and enjoy it. Most seem to choose the complaining option as you can tell.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think the ipad has got more hate then anything. I mean how many people do you see talking about iwork on the ipad? But you see people talking about it not having flash.

Well let me put it out there for you. Why do you care? Do you like the iPad and did you order one or are you going to? If so - enjoy it. Who cares if other people love it or hate it. If you enjoy it - enjoy it. Why worry about how others feel?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Typical M.O. of the MSM is to try and knock successful people/companies off their pedestal. It's nothing but white noise.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Well let me put it out there for you. Why do you care? Do you like the iPad and did you order one or are you going to? If so - enjoy it. Who cares if other people love it or hate it. If you enjoy it - enjoy it. Why worry about how others feel?

I don't care but i am sick of seeing so much negativity. I mean lets compare it to the hp slate how many negvtive thing have you seen about the slate?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't care but i am sick of seeing so much negativity. I mean lets compare it to the hp slate how many negvtive thing have you seen about the slate?

then stop reading/clicking threads, articles, etc that you know will upset you.

You can't have the good articles without the bad. That's not how life works. And in the end - if you are happy with your decision, it shouldn't matter what else you read.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas

I think it goes with the territory. Apple gets a lot of press, so they will get a lot of negativity too.

HP would kill for the publicity Apple gets. Every news channel and local station will have a segment showing the iPad lines on April 3rd. There will be none for the HP Slate, no matter how good or bad it ends up.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
these people are jealous of the iPad:

1) netbook owners who feel slighted by Steve's remarks about the netbook being "junk" and "crappy" .

2) Kindle owners

3) Google, Amazon, Acer, HP, Dell, Adobe, MS, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, etc. employees.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010

Most people in this world always find something to complain about. No matter what you give them, they can always find some way to criticize. When you're on the top, everyone wants to take you down. Unfortunately, thats jut how the world works. :(

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
these people are jealous of the iPad:

1) netbook owners who feel slighted by Steve's remarks about the netbook being "junk" and "crappy" .

2) Kindle owners

3) Google, Amazon, Acer, HP, Dell, Adobe, MS, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, etc. employees.

Yes. That's it. It's clearly people that are jealous. How old are you? Do you have ANY business acumen whatsoever?

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Since Apple won't send them one, they have nothing of substance to write about. So, they pontificate, and when people do that they tend to be negative because it makes them feel and look smart.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

Human nature always wants to see the underdog win. I guess "the rest of the market" would be considered the underdog in the mobile space. People hate seeing successful companies continue to "win" over and over. Jealousy, envy etc... they more passionate they are to bash or hate on the product/company just shows their true colors. The fact they put all the energy and time into talking about a company they "claim" to hate is pretty funny in itself. As the MR members that make it point to post in every iPad thread even though they hate it.

Apple has continued to grow at a record pace thru some of the worst economic times in history. People hate to see that when/if they personally are struggling or other companies they admire are struggling.

Just as in sports, the number 1 ranked team will always catch 10x more crap than a number 2 or 3. IMO many people simply can't be happy for other succesful people, all those basic human emotions surface and the jealousy and envy drive them to become very negative and outspoken.

No need to take any of it personally, they are just opinions, which everyone has. :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Since Apple won't send them one, they have nothing of substance to write about. So, they pontificate, and when people do that they tend to be negative because it makes them feel and look smart.

And that's different than what happens here, how exactly?

And conversely - those that don't have one in hand but claim its a jesus device - does that make them feel and look smart (in the snarky way it seems you're implying)?

Since the iPad is a subject of conversation - there's going to be a plethora of articles, editorials, posts, etc - positive, negative, neutral, etc. That's the way it is. If you want shiny happy news - don't click on stories/read threads/etc that are negative. Or if you're worried you might click on one by accident - then don't read at all. When I don't want anything spoiled for me in regards to a movie - I avoid threads/stories about the movie. This is no different.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Yes. That's it. It's clearly people that are jealous. How old are you? Do you have ANY business acumen whatsoever?

If the poster is talking about PEOPLE vs. the MEDIA (which one we are discussing seems to drift back and forth in this thread), then yes, jealousy is a legit human motivation for negativity. It may 'seem' immature to call it out, but pretending it isn't a factor isn't particularly productive either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.