Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Now don't get right me off too quickly. I don't belong to the "it's a giant iPod touch/iPhone" camp and I don't even agree with Boing Boing's article on why you shouldn't buy an iPad.

I have been thinking this through for a while over the past week and even though the flourish of iPad articles and excitement over the past few days has had me itching to be an early adopter, my own logic dictates that I should wait for the following reasons:

1. Lack of Camera: One key missing feature that's keeping me from buying the iPad is its lack of a front-facing camera. This is a must for me. I video chat often and when that I saw the overwhelming evidence in the SDK that video chat was indeed at some point planned to be in the iPad, I knew that I will be rewarded with this feature if I wait. It's coming and it was there at one time. It's not like I'm asking/wishing/hoping for Flash or a USB port. There is the potential for amazing new Apps that could take advantage of this missing feature. If on the other hand, had it had a front facing video camera, I would have pre-ordered one instantly.

2. It's only the beginning. The iPad market hasn't even started yet. Again, based on my past experience with Apple, they could very well lower the price in a year. I bought an iPhone after the $200 price drop. Who know's whats going to happen with iPad sales in the long run. Remember that the original iPhone had people lining up too, and many were sold at launch. I think more would have definitely been purchased had people has the option to pre-order it. However, the $500 price tag is not the defining reason for me deciding to hold off. Plus, there are so many possible features coming in the pipeline that could influence my decision for which model would be necessary. (ei. Lala acquisition = Music in cloud, iTunes Video subscription service, iPhone tethering to iPad?)

3. iBooks, Print Media, Video. Now that CBS, Netflix, and ABC have all jumped on getting there video up and running. It won't be long until the rest of the major networks follow suit. The iBookstore will only have about 10,000 books at launch and most print publications haven't been deployed to the device yet. As a college student, I see the iPad as potential huge money saver for textbooks. I believe that in about a year it will be economically feasible for me to get one and save money on books. But, right now I'm not ready to have a device that I paid half a grand for just sitting next me and knowing I could have all my text books on it in the future.

4. iPad App Price: We were all there before. Remember the initial prices of Apps for the iPhone? 99 cent apps were almost none-existant. Right now, it looks like iPad Apps will cost between $15-$40, but I believe over time that price range will drop significantly. I can't justify paying a lot for a app that has mass market appeal for a device that cost me $500.

I love the iPad. I see it as a game changer and I believe in its future. I'm just going to sit back, relax for a year, and watch the iPad ecosystem develop into something amazing. So that when I buy rev2 of the iPad, I can jump right in to the cost efficient and more mature iPad ecosystem. I have nothing to lose and that much more to gain from the iPad if I wait.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
And I'll have had the iPad for a year, seeing all the awesome stuff developers will have made for it.

Good luck!

I'm usually an early adopter. But this time, I don't want to be saying in a year's time "Dammmm if I only waited a year I would have had that feature I always wanted." I've said that to myself one too many a times. The iPad also isn't like the iPhone, where I can get another one every 2 years. I see the iPad as also a more long term product. Like in the 3-5 year range. (Assuming it doesn't break.)

I too will see all the awesome stuff knowing that someday I will be able to use it! :D

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
And I'll have had the iPad for a year, seeing all the awesome stuff developers will have made for it.

Good luck!

Ditto!! I dont mind using it and taking a slight hit and selling for a newer and better one down the line....However my dispossible income allows this where others may not

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I'm usually an early adopter. But this time, I don't want to be saying in a year's time "Dammmm if I only waited a year I would have had that feature I always wanted." I've said that to myself one too many a times. The iPad also isn't like the iPhone, where I can get another one every 2 years. I see the iPad as also a more long term product. Like in the 3-5 year range. (Assuming it doesn't break.)

I too will see all the awesome stuff knowing that someday I will be able to use it! :D

Why so long term? I could definitely see replacing the iPad with version 2.0 in a year from now and selling the version 1.0 on eBay. Sure there will be a hit...but that is to expected for using a product for a year, not like it would be free.

There really are no key missing issues for me aside from Flash and I don't see that coming on version 2.0 anyway. I know a lot of sites and such are finding solutions but I was just imagining surfing the web on the iPad...looking up reviews of the iPad (I love to research it) and most of the review videos are flash I believe. Its going to suck to have to pull out the old laptop to fully use the internet sometimes.

But the front facing camera? No use whatsoever. USB? Guess we'll see if the need come up often, or ever. It has never come up for my iPhone. Multitasking...again, we'll see. Hasn't been an issue on the iPhone for me.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I think a camera makes little sense on this device. Short of video conferencing there is no reason for it.

I am sure someday it will have a camera facing you that 95% of people will never use, but I really don't understand why someone would not buy one just because it does not have a camera.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
I'd just get the 16gb and resell it in a year. So you'll lose some cash, but you'll have had the fun of using it for a year.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm sure you'll find something about version 2 to make you say you'll wait for version 3.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Just like how some people predicted that the iPad would get the 5 megapixel cameras. Jeez, it's so obvious that cameras and only going to the iPhone and maybe, iPod touch line.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I see your point.

Wait and see what happend is a good approach.

But there are two things I don't agree with:

1. Camera: the reason why there isn't one, beside that take picture is definetly silly with that, and I know is not what you pointing at, I think is because Apple didn't see a good use of it.

To explain my self better, is that the iPad it's suppose to be a mobile device and I don't think anyone would be using video-conference anywhere but home.
I don't see someone video conferencing at Starbucks or on the bus with it, but at home, yes, you probably would, still you have a computer at home, I assume, and you can do it with that. Still, I wouldn't mind use an iPad instead, but I don't see that as a MUST feature.

OR

Keep it aside for a 2nd Gen.

2. If you want to wait, I guess you will wait for 1 year and you know that.
Are you sure that you will not feel the itch and going to buy one before a 2nd Gen will come along? :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
...my own logic dictates that I should wait for the following reasons:

1. Lack of Camera:

Not an issue for me....

2. It's only the beginning. The iPad market hasn't even started yet. Again, based on my past experience with Apple, they could very well lower the price in a year. I bought an iPhone after the $200 price drop. Who know's whats going to happen with iPad sales in the long run. <SNIP> (ei. Lala acquisition = Music in cloud, iTunes Video subscription service, iPhone tethering to iPad?)

Not sure if we will see prices drops on the iPad - if it sells as well as expected - just more features to keep the price up IMHO. It is the iPhone tethering that would make me jump for it tomorrow. But unlikely that AT&T would allow for that without a lets say a $15 a month surcharge.

3. iBooks, Print Media, Video. Now that CBS, Netflix, and ABC have all jumped on getting there video up and running. It won't be long until the rest of the major networks follow suit. The iBookstore will only have about 10,000 books at launch and most print publications haven't been deployed to the device yet.

4. iPad App Price: We were all there before. Remember the initial prices of Apps for the iPhone? 99 cent apps were almost none-existant.[/quote]

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

But perhaps not. Perhaps his decision is based on pros and cons. Maybe he has weighed benefits vs cost vs other factors.

Maybe he's 60/40 on getting one and the things he mentions NOW aren't tipping the scale in his favor. Maybe when v2 comes out (or os 4.0) and addresses some concerns, the scale will be tipped the other way. Or by waiting alone, the scales will tip on their own.

In either event - it's a personal decision. Some don't understand why people wouldn't want the iPad. Some don't understand why people do want that iPad. Different strokes for different folks. People should respect other people's decisions without the need to try and "fix" them or change their mind. I equate it to religion. Whatever you believe in - if it works for you - great. But you don't have to "recruit"

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I still have a Commodore 64. I'm waiting for a computer that doubles as a spaceship to come out before I upgrade..

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
What is the big deal with the iPad not having a camera? I'm not picking on you, Christall109; I've seen lots of people post that in various fora. Why is that such a big deal for people? There are disposable cameras, point and click digitals, DSLRs, cell phone cameras and a camera on the various iterations of Mac, not to mention 8 bazillion plug in computer cameras. You can't walk 10 feet without tripping over another camera, so why is the iPad not having yet another camera such a big deal? I'm not trying to be a crank, I honestly don't get it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What is the big deal with the iPad not having a camera? I'm not picking on you, Christall109; I've seen lots of people post that in various fora. Why is that such a big deal for people? There are disposable cameras, point and click digitals, DSLRs, cell phone cameras and a camera on the various iterations of Mac, not to mention 8 bazillion plug in computer cameras. You can't walk 10 feet without tripping over another camera, so why is the iPad not having yet another camera such a big deal? I'm not trying to be a crank, I honestly don't get it.

some people like to be able to skype video chat (for example). Some people have relatives across the country or in another country all together. As hard as it might be for you to understand what the big deal is about not having one - the same could be said for some who have a hard time why someone would argue against having one. Would you argue against more storage? A faster processor? GPS in the WIFI version or other features whether or not you'd use them?

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Agreed. I already have too many devices with cameras. Every time I plug something in it has to upload photos that I forgot I had ever taken.

bigm978

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
The next rev is always going to be better. You might as well get it now because when next year rolls around you might end up saying the same thing.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
I'm not usually an early adopter, but I am this time, and here's why:
1) Why should I spend a year or more reading about/watching other people adapt to the iPad and all the content out there that is aimed at its users, all because things aren't at their Revision-B-or-C best yet? I want to be there from Day One, to experience all the excitement and disappointment and drama of the very first iPad.

and

2) The iPad doesn't cost that much, really. By this time next year, I'll have another tax refund with which to finance my next purchase. If I want the newer iPad then, I can get it then. And yes, it is obviously a longer term device -- but I think that is more an eventual reality than a present one, if you know what I mean.

Only a few more hours! :apple:

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
blah blah blah.

When v2 comes out I'll give this one to the wife/kids and upgrade.
What a long post just to say nothing but you wish to 'Relax for a year'. OK fine, why post?

I can never imagine holding up something so large to take a picture (rear cam) and front would shoot straight up your nose.
I really don't understand the lack of cam argument.

Rasczak

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
Oahu
I agree with most of the reasons. I see it mainly as a luxury type thing so no need to rush and waiting may net me a reduced price or additional features or both.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Why is it that people have to start threads justifying why they're NOT buying an iPad? Who cares?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why is it that people have to start threads justifying why they're NOT buying an iPad? Who cares?

Why do people start threads justifying why they ARE buying an iPad. To quote you - Who Cares. Buy it. Don't buy it. Or are you suggesting that the threads started about why people are buying it are ok?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.