Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Its been over a week since my last backup but I’ve had the phone plugged in, on Wi-Fi, and locked at least two dozen times in the week since it last was last backed up. Automatic backup is turned on. So why won’t my phone back up to iCloud like it’s supposed to? And no, I have plenty of free space so that’s not the issue.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Can you back up manually?

Have you updated to 12?

And have you cycled the backup toggle in the iCloud settings?

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yeah I can back up manually but it was nice not having to do that. I toggled it and still nothing. How long does the phone have to stay locked and plugged in before it starts backing up?
[doublepost=1537369236][/doublepost]As far as I’m concerned it should start backing up immediately once it’s locked, plugged in and on wi-fi. Another feature by Apple that doesn’t work right. I’ve tried everything. Just had it plugged in locked and on Wi-Fi for the last 30 minutes and it still shows my last back up was a week ago.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have that issue - not for a week but sometimes it does pretty much 24 hours after last and sometimes it is 2 days

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Phone was plugged in overnight, locked and on wifi and no back up. I’ve tried deleting old backup, logging in and out, restarting phone and nothing. It’s frustrating that this feature doesn’t work correctly. What’s the point of having it if it doesn’t work like it should?

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
there are a ton of icloud issues right now with people complaining about music sync issues and messages missing a ton of data/not syncing to other devices etc. I recommend reaching out to apple support on the phone

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
there are a ton of icloud issues right now with people complaining about music sync issues and messages missing a ton of data/not syncing to other devices etc. I recommend reaching out to apple support on the phone
Yeah no thanks I’ll get on the phone with them and they’ll suggest everything I’ve already tried. They won’t have any good answer.

Reactions: arkitect

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I’m not seeing anyone else on here or any other forum with this issue I’m having so I doubt they are going to escalate. You mentioned messages and music not syncing well nothing on my phone is backing up and I haven’t seen one person on here with the same issue. Anyone else having this problem? Just had my phone plugged in, on WiFi and locked for 8 hours and no backup.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
I’m not seeing anyone else on here or any other forum with this issue I’m having so I doubt they are going to escalate. You mentioned messages and music not syncing well nothing on my phone is backing up and I haven’t seen one person on here with the same issue. Anyone else having this problem? Just had my phone plugged in, on WiFi and locked for 8 hours and no backup.
I recommend trying to back it up on another WIFI network to see if you can isolate the issue to your WIFI

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
1) Are you sure there are no backups being completed? For example, my wife's phone hadn't backed up in 52 weeks according to the notification on the lock screen when it went kerput, yet we were able to restore a backup from two days before at like 3pm.

2) Have you got any apps that are constantly changing their content? I used to have a similar issue, that resolved itself once I isolated Wechat out of my backups.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
1) Are you sure there are no backups being completed? For example, my wife's phone hadn't backed up in 52 weeks according to the notification on the lock screen when it went kerput, yet we were able to restore a backup from two days before at like 3pm.

2) Have you got any apps that are constantly changing their content? I used to have a similar issue, that resolved itself once I isolated Wechat out of my backups.
There are no backups. Just had it plugged in, locked and on a different WiFi for the last hour and a half and still no backup. I could just do it manually but that’s not the point. You’d think Apple could figure out how to make this feature work better than it is.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Icloud backups are never immediate. I typically plug my phone in at 9pm and it won’t do an automatic backup until 1:30am.

Also, the device will not do an automatic backup if you have done a manual backup within 24 hours.

OP, you are complaining about an issue, but you are unwilling to contact Support so engineers can look at the issue. Multiple times on these forums I have been the only person experiencing an issue and I reach out and engineers troubleshoot my account directly, which allows them to see what’s happening. Every time they have been able to solve my cloud issues. What do you have to lose?

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Icloud backups are never immediate. I typically plug my phone in at 9pm and it won’t do an automatic backup until 1:30am.

Also, the device will not do an automatic backup if you have done a manual backup within 24 hours.

OP, you are complaining about an issue, but you are unwilling to contact Support so engineers can look at the issue. Multiple times on these forums I have been the only person experiencing an issue and I reach out and engineers troubleshoot my account directly, which allows them to see what’s happening. Every time they have been able to solve my cloud issues. What do you have to lose?
My phone was plugged in for over 8 hours and nothing. Haven’t done any manual backups. I’m about to contact support but I guarantee it won’t resolve the issue. They’ll repeat the same “fixes” I’ve tried multiple time.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My phone was plugged in for over 8 hours and nothing. Haven’t done any manual backups. I’m about to contact support but I guarantee it won’t resolve the issue. They’ll repeat the same “fixes” I’ve tried multiple time.
I have never once had support deny me after we completed the troubleshooting steps, they always submit a report to engineers and engineers themselves reach back out to me.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I have never once had support deny me after we completed the troubleshooting steps, they always submit a report to engineers and engineers themselves reach back out to me.
Support was worthless as I expected. Their best suggestion was to troubleshoot possible Wi-Fi interferences, of which I have none!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
There are no backups. Just had it plugged in, locked and on a different WiFi for the last hour and a half and still no backup. I could just do it manually but that’s not the point. You’d think Apple could figure out how to make this feature work better than it is.

You haven't addressed the 2nd point. Try starting small.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
No, I don’t have any apps that are constantly changing content.

Presumably by "not in over a week" you mean "not at all since installing ios 12"?

And how much data are you trying to back up from your phone? Do you have lots of photos but no icloud photo library enabled? The issue I referenced above, for example, was probably caused by my wife having in the region of a 180GB backup (huge camera roll, not using icloud photos). For reference, my backup is under 2GB.

Try disabling all the apps, make the backup as small as possible. You've not really got anything to lose, it's either "don't back up by choice" or "don't back up" for much of it. You might be able to narrow down the issue this way.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Presumably by "not in over a week" you mean "not at all since installing ios 12"?

And how much data are you trying to back up from your phone? Do you have lots of photos but no icloud photo library enabled? The issue I referenced above, for example, was probably caused by my wife having in the region of a 180GB backup (huge camera roll, not using icloud photos). For reference, my backup is under 2GB.

Try disabling all the apps, make the backup as small as possible. You've not really got anything to lose, it's either "don't back up by choice" or "don't back up" for much of it. You might be able to narrow down the issue this way.
I’ve already tried disabling several apps from back up. My backup is well less than a GB. iCloud photo is turned on. My phone has been locked, plugged in and on WiFi for almost 12 hours now and nothing. Not trying to sound like a whiner but this is unacceptable considering how much money I spent on this phone and then to have certain important features not work and Apple tell me it’s my WiFi connection. Nope, perfect strong connection here. Oh well, I’ll report back if it ever starts working.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
There’s not one person on this forum who is experiencing this? I’ve had it plugged in ALL DAY, locked and on a strong WiFi connection and it hasn’t done a thing. I’ve tried every possible “fix” and nothing works. Apple support offers no solution. What a joke. Yes i could simply tap the backup now button and do it manually but that’s not the point. I want it to backup automatically. This feature should work properly and there’s nothing on my end preventing that.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
There’s not one person on this forum who is experiencing this? I’ve had it plugged in ALL DAY, locked and on a strong WiFi connection and it hasn’t done a thing. I’ve tried every possible “fix” and nothing works. Apple support offers no solution. What a joke. Yes i could simply tap the backup now button and do it manually but that’s not the point. I want it to backup automatically. This feature should work properly and there’s nothing on my end preventing that.
there is a bug. Kick back and let them work on it and fix it

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The only issue I have is now that I have a 512GB phone, I need to update my iCloud storage plan. It's complaining it can't do a backup because there's not enough space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.