Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Has anybody used an external wifi hd like the Lacie Fuel to backup photos straight from an IOS device? Never really cared about backing up photos until I had kids, and now my wife and I find that we use our iPhones to take 95% of our pictures and videos. We need a secure place to backup all of these files and I'd like not to use a computer as my MacBook is from 2009 and barely gets any use. Online reviews are hit and miss for the Lacie and the Seagate. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I'd like to be able to offload the photos from the phone, so I think I'd have to use iCloud drive for that. 1 TB of storage is 20/mo or I can just buy a drive for 200.. Just thought this might be easier.

Grizzz

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
I'm looking for the best option for me, as well, about storage. I keep a large music collection, plus photos, as well as videos. I've got enough that my MacBook, also 2009 has been overwhelmed, and I needed to get an external drive long ago. Personally, I'd need at least 1 TB, and probably 2 should be minimum for me. I keep an iPod classic on hand, as well as an iPhone, and often an iPad. I would like to use a network drive, something wireless to access from all of the devices. From the sound of it, the LaCie FUEL should, right? It wouldn't even need the network, as it has its own wifi signal being emitted to link directly, if I understood correctly.

Personally, I am curious if the LaCie FUEL is worth getting more than the Apple Time Machine.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I've been using a small RAID system and also maintaining one of the cartridges off site for an added safety measure. For giant files and long term storage, I prefer to own, rather than rent, which all cloud-based storage for pay is.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
I'm looking for the best option for me, as well, about storage. I keep a large music collection, plus photos, as well as videos. I've got enough that my MacBook, also 2009 has been overwhelmed, and I needed to get an external drive long ago. Personally, I'd need at least 1 TB, and probably 2 should be minimum for me. I keep an iPod classic on hand, as well as an iPhone, and often an iPad. I would like to use a network drive, something wireless to access from all of the devices. From the sound of it, the LaCie FUEL should, right? It wouldn't even need the network, as it has its own wifi signal being emitted to link directly, if I understood correctly.

Personally, I am curious if the LaCie FUEL is worth getting more than the Apple Time Machine.

Did you try out the Lacie FUEL?

It's all about the quality of the app. The verbatim Media Share is perfect hardware and dumb software. So I had to return it.

I'd prefer a solution that let's me use my own or multiple hard drives. So the Verbatim is more attractive than the Lacie.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
You might want to check out the WD My Cloud line as well. It has a photo backup app that works pretty well, and for the same price as the LaCie, you can connect to a 4tb single-drive solution or a 4TB mirrored-raid solution for $330 on Amazon (2 2TB drives, so an effective 2TB, but if one hard drive fails, you still have another to restore the backup from - goes up to 12TB, so pretty scalable).

The big benefit to this approach is that you could backup to the drive from anywhere using the WD Photos app or access your storage from anywhere using the WD My Cloud App and just leave the drive at home. I've been using the EX2 8TB drive (effective 4TB since I have it mirrored) for almost a year now, and its automatic updates, etc have made it a really easy NAS (Network Attached Storage) to manage. You could also use it to back up your mac since it has the ability to mimic a Time Machine drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.