Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Just wondering how exactly Airport Express works. I would like to play my itunes library from speakers around the house, and control everything from my iPhone. I see AE should do exactly what I want. Problem is, now im reading I need a PC with wireless capability for this.

I have a wifi network setup, but the PC that runs itunes is a desktop with no wireless connection. Will this be an issue? I was hoping to simply plug in the AE to the outlet and then to speakers and thats it. If this is not possible, can I just connect a LAN cable from my router to the AE and still get Airtunes out of it?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
So long as your computer is connected to your network (either wired or wireless) and the Express is a part of your network, it should work.

You say you have a wireless network already, so if you get your Express to join the network, any devices connected to that network can see and use the Express to stream music using iTunes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1515

Question: I have a third-party 802.11b/g/n wireless access point. I want to put AirPort Express next to my home theater and stream iTunes to it. Can AirPort Express join the third-party network?

Answer: Yes. AirPort Express can join a third-party network in client mode, or if it is connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the non-Apple wireless access point.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Thank you. So im assuming I simply connect the AE to my router, configure it with my wired PC. Then im free to move the AE around wirelessly, as long as its in range of my wifi network.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I think that's correct. Your computer should detect it when it's connected to your router. If it doesn't, you can also try connecting it directly to your computer using Ethernet and setting it up.

Also, and forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but you'll need to install AirPort Utility either by downloading it from Apple or by using the install disc that comes with the Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.