Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I knew who the OP was without having to look. I'm not even kidding. No offence, Hieveryone, but you need to get over your iPhone based insecurities. You've made threads asking people if you should get every iPhone since the 7, I think.

It's just a phone. Do whatever you want. No one cares.
Same.
I saw the thread title pop up on Spy and I knew to go get some popcorn…

@Hieveryone never disappoints. :)

@Hieveryone How much time do you spend looking at other people's phones?
Shoes? Shirts? Hairstyles? Partners? Cars?

Just live your life to the best of your abilities and work on the insecurities…

Seriously, take some advice from an old man: this type of **** does not matter at all.

Edit: Oh and BTW, I still use an iPhone SE :eek: Oh the humanity!
Imagine how insecure I must feel? I never ever leave the house… just because I will be judged by my small phone. *sigh*

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2014
Who cares it’s just a phone. The XR it’s a good iPhone, it has the same processor as the XS. I won’t be surprised if this phone outsells the XS and XS Max the colors are nice and that might be a reason for people to buy one.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are people like that. Maybe they’re insecure, maybe their friends are judegemental, maybe this, or maybe that.

You can also turn this thought process around and ask if there would be people who would feel embarrassed to be seen with the high end model because it would appear that they might be image obsessed, stupid with their money, or that it might appear as if they were trying to signal a level of status that everyone knows they don't have.

I'll be honest. I'm one of those people.

When I see people who always have the newest and most expensive gadget, I don't see a style icon. I tend to be more ready to judge that person to be a shallow idiot with more money than sense and likely not much of either.

This isn't a fair attitude either. Most people who bought into the latest hot gadget are probably not shallow idiots that I'd want to avoid for my own happiness. Once in a while that person is me even and while I know I came to my purchase decision in a sound way, there is a part of me that feels the insecurity you're talking about, but in reverse. I'm reluctant to bring my device out and let people see me with it while it's still considered a big deal.

The XR could quite frankly appeal to people for the very same inverse image reasons I brought up here. If I needed to get a new iPhone right now, I might very well be MORE drawn to an XR because to me it feels like it communicates that I'm not image obsessed and I'm probably more disciplined than the average cat because I paid $350 less for a phone that's probably going to do everything someone else wants to do with the iPhone XS.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Regardless of what phone you own, if you think it is a status symbol and that people admire you for it then you have a personality disorder of some sort. Fact.
Unfortunately, I think there’s a lot of people with that personality disorder in the world. But maybe even more for self-admiration then from others actually.
Not only when it comes to phones.

I don’t think there’s many people who cares or are impressed when looking at other people’s phones.
But it sounds to me more often then not, that it’s important to many what phone they have.

Personally I just need a phone, the Music app, notes, calendar, messages and a few more apps is good too.
But I could probably delete 80% of the apps on my SE, and everything will still be smooth and I would still stay happy.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Spending that amount of money on what the PTB deem a "budget" iPhone. :rolleyes: ah no. Last time I checked $749 was not cheap or budget.

People will buy what they want. It's not my business or problem.

Besides, Who cares about what other people think? :rolleyes:

Reactions: smirking

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Unfortunately, I think there’s a lot of people with that personality disorder in the world. But maybe even more for self-admiration then from others actually.
Not only when it comes to phones.
Which is why there is now so much focus on the front facing camera — all those selfies and portrait smoothing… all in aid of narcissistic vanity.
What do those people see when they look in a mirror I wonder? Not the selfie, that's for sure.

Modern life…

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
It wouldn’t be good for some people’s image if they bought the iPhone XR and rocked it in public bc people will think they don’t have the money to buy the best.

I think there are other issues you might want to focus on o_O

Anandc

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Bombay, India
Just buy what you like. Overall I feel iPhone XS is the best out of all 3.

I don't like the fact that iPhone XR doesn't support 1080p. It's 2018, we are living in 4K World.

Also, iPhone XS Max 100USD more for bigger size doesn't justify the price but then it's not so bad after all.

iPhone XS is performance advancement of iPhone X at the last year's price. 2017 price with 2018 specs, that's how I look at it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Actually, the SE shows that someone is bold IMO.

Most people probably get the best they can afford, whether it’s the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 8 or the iPhone X.

I’m assuming everybody can afford the SE especially with some deals or something.

But to CHOOSE the SE shows when you CAN get more especially like a used iPhone 7 or whatever shows that you got the SE bc you like it

And that’s cool

Again assuming this and that just because someone had this or that device. Just stop and focus on yourself instead of trying to apply status thinking to strangers.

Owning an SE reveals nothing of the owner. This used to be the only form factor available a few years ago.

Reactions: smirking and kazmac

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I don’t know that people would feel self conscious but there will definitely be people that will look at that as inferiority over having the other, more expensive phones. It always happens, look st the 5c era...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It wouldn’t be good for some people’s image if they bought the iPhone XR and rocked it in public bc people will think they don’t have the money to buy the best.

Anyone who wants to show out might be hesitant to buy XR for this reason.

—————————————————————-

EDIT:

iPhones are ABSOLUTELY a status symbol in other countries. So please don’t say it’s not. In America no, but yes for many places.

In fact, I had heard the gold color was aimed for Asia markets bc it’s considered good luck and symbol of wealth for many.

The best advice I ever got in my entire life was to live below your means. If you are worried what other people will think of you because you can afford $749 and not $999, then it seems you have bigger issues to worry about.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
I’m NOT saying it’s cheap. I’m saying it’s the “cheap” model meaning it isn’t the high end model.

And I’m not saying anyone SHOULD feel insecure at all.

What I’m saying is that there might be people out there who are like “I want the biggest and baddest out there, so I’ll just get the high end model.”

There are people like that. Maybe they’re insecure, maybe their friends are judegemental, maybe this, or maybe that.

But my point is still the same.

Creating different tiers creates “levels” for some people and those people might be forced to go high end even if they don’t want to or shouldn’t.
Lame attempt at back tracking !!! Your number is well and truly up on this site young fella..

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Lol, no. The difference between "cheap" and "expensive" is $250.

A XR is still an expensive phone, $50 more than the cheapest new iPhone last year. Did you judge people for having an iPhone 8 rather than a X? No, because you didn't notice.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Don't know but I'm sure a lot of people will only get the Xs Max because if they get the Xs people won't be able to tell the difference from the X. I can think of a lot of "tech youtubers" and "instagrammers" and other social media obsessed people...

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Actually, the SE shows that someone is bold IMO.

Most people probably get the best they can afford, whether it’s the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 8 or the iPhone X.

I’m assuming everybody can afford the SE especially with some deals or something.

But to CHOOSE the SE shows when you CAN get more especially like a used iPhone 7 or whatever shows that you got the SE bc you like it

And that’s cool
What a load of crap!

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
It’s actually more embarrassing to me to be seen with an expensive new model on or around release day. Makes me feel tacky.

Bag302

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009

Anyone who wants to show out might be hesitant to buy XR for this reason.

—————————————————————-

EDIT:

iPhones are ABSOLUTELY a status symbol in other countries. So please don’t say it’s not. In America no, but yes for many places.

In fact, I had heard the gold color was aimed for Asia markets bc it’s considered good luck and symbol of wealth for many.

LOL! You would not be allowed in my circle of friends with an iphone XR. LOL!

PEASANT!! LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.