Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpovall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
Hello this is a question I'm sure has been asked 1000x before but I have a very specific question that needs a specific answer.

Ok so I have a MB Air 2013 (yes please don't tell me about the specs, I find it runs games fine).

My question is:

Currently I'm running only one game (my fave game haha) LotR: Battle for Middle Earth 2 in Crossover and although it is very playable, the CPU temperatures go very high (90 degrees+) and the fan is at 6500RPM pretty much throughout the game at high temperatures and around 5000 for middle-lower settings.

Simply: is this extra temperature and fan usage coming from using Crossover (it's a 9 year old game.....) and if so, would running it in Bootcamp instead drastically change this? Or would it be the same and therefore it wouldn't be worth doing a Bootcamp partition if I'd only be doing it for this one game. Idk if emulation is making it more complicated than it should be.

Bonus question: I'm running L4D2 in Mac native. I've heard stories of running it in Bootcamp instead being better. basically same question would CPU heat/fan usage be less if in bootcamp?

PS I don't mean to be pessimistic but please don't be rude about my laptop. I love my Air and think the performance is fantastic. I'm aware I didn't buy it to be hardcore gaming - I'm just asking this tech question and want a tech answer :)

Thank you!

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Hello this is a question I'm sure has been asked 1000x before but I have a very specific question that needs a specific answer.

Ok so I have a MB Air 2013 (yes please don't tell me about the specs, I find it runs games fine).

My question is:

Currently I'm running only one game (my fave game haha) LotR: Battle for Middle Earth 2 in Crossover and although it is very playable, the CPU temperatures go very high (90 degrees+) and the fan is at 6500RPM pretty much throughout the game at high temperatures and around 5000 for middle-lower settings.

Simply: is this extra temperature and fan usage coming from using Crossover (it's a 9 year old game.....) and if so, would running it in Bootcamp instead drastically change this? Or would it be the same and therefore it wouldn't be worth doing a Bootcamp partition if I'd only be doing it for this one game. Idk if emulation is making it more complicated than it should be.

Bonus question: I'm running L4D2 in Mac native. I've heard stories of running it in Bootcamp instead being better. basically same question would CPU heat/fan usage be less if in bootcamp?

PS I don't mean to be pessimistic but please don't be rude about my laptop. I love my Air and think the performance is fantastic. I'm aware I didn't buy it to be hardcore gaming - I'm just asking this tech question and want a tech answer :)

Thank you!

Unfortunately yes, I say that because there should be no reason for any of us to have to switch to windows to play the same game that's on a mac, but because Apple refuses to update most of its ancient graphic drivers (The Nvidia ones especially), we pay the price.

robertpovall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
Unfortunately yes, I say that because there should be no reason for any of us to have to switch to windows to play the same game that's on a mac, but because Apple refuses to update most of its ancient graphic drivers (The Nvidia ones especially), we pay the price.

Thank you for your speedy reply!

So you can confirm to me that running games in Bootcamp would have lower CPU temperatures...?

Also other people who want to reply, please do. I really want lots of different opinions/experiences.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
For what its worth, my Mac Pro actually runs warmer under Windows.

I suspect your Air will run almost as hot under Windows although the CPU load may not be as much.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
When I use Bootcamp my Mac Pro fans always ramp up, then again a bit more once I start playing games.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.