Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshty92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
cincy ohio
Been a long time iPhone person here, have everything Apple wants you to have, phone watch computer, tv ect. My thing is with Apple, its still the same thing every year. I am thinking about holding out and seeing what the Note 10 looks like, anyone else in the same boat as me? I want to keep my iPhone and what not, but its just loosing my interest in what possibilities you can do with a smartphone.

Reactions: Wide opeN

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Been a long time iPhone person here, have everything Apple wants you to have, phone watch computer, tv ect. My thing is with Apple, its still the same thing every year. I am thinking about holding out and seeing what the Note 10 looks like, anyone else in the same boat as me? I want to keep my iPhone and what not, but its just loosing my interest in what possibilities you can do with a smartphone.
No, not in the same boat as you…I moved on.

Every year, since 2014, I've waited for Apple to change the design of the iPhone. But every year, since 2014, Apple insisted on making the camera bump on the back of the phone larger and larger and larger.

If rumors about the iPhone 11 are true then the jokes I used to make about the iPhone being all camera and part phone don't seem to be jokes anymore.

The wife and I moved on to Pixel 3a XL's about two months ago. If Apple ever does another SE in the Plus form factor I may come back, but who knows.

Aside from that though, I own several 1999-2008 era Macs and a 6th Gen iPad (as well as my older iPhones, 6s+, 5, 4s and 4).

joshty92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
cincy ohio
No, not in the same boat as you…I moved on.

Every year, since 2014, I've waited for Apple to change the design of the iPhone. But every year, since 2014, Apple insisted on making the camera bump on the back of the phone larger and larger and larger.

If rumors about the iPhone 11 are true then the jokes I used to make about the iPhone being all camera and part phone don't seem to be jokes anymore.

The wife and I moved on to Pixel 3a XL's about two months ago. If Apple ever does another SE in the Plus form factor I may come back, but who knows.

Aside from that though, I own several 1999-2008 era Macs and a 6th Gen iPad (as well as my older iPhones, 6s+, 5, 4s and 4).
Thank you! I agree as well. Im hoping the Note 10 will look pretty good.

Reactions: eyoungren

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I recall the days where I would get so excited over the rumors, unveilings, etc. Those were fun and invigorating times for a tech geek but it's been a long time since I have felt that way. That said, no matter what hardware Samsung, Google, or any of the others put out, as long as they run android, I have no interest. For me personally, I never have liked the look of icons, the messiness of notifications across the top of the phone, or even the customizations. Granted, that is just me. 10+ years in with an iPhone, while slightly dabbling with android minimally along the way, I am not interested in learning a new platform to make it work as fluidly as efficiently as iOS does for me today (and I am not tied to an 'ecosystem' as my iPhone is the only apple product I use). That, and the newness would eventually wear off leaving me with just another phone, on a different OS, that doesn't have iMessage which matters most to me. Toss in other apps I use that are not offered on android and the alternatives are crap....nah, I'm good. That is the beauty in choice and competition. If you don't like one offering, you have others to go try.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I have iPhone / iPad / MacBook Pro, however I'm considering Android for my next phone.

I actually don't use much handoff/continuity features in the Apple ecosystem since my tablet & laptop are shared with my family. So introducing an Android phone into the mix won't throw things off.

The OnePlus 7 Pro is the first phone that's genuinely gotten me excited about an upgrade since my iPhone 6S. The value it brings for the offering price is crazy good. Can't see myself buying something like the XR instead!

Reactions: Wide opeN

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Your wants are pretty typical and we are all waiting on the "next big thing". Problem is they have not come up with a truly "next big thing". The Note 10 might peak your interest for a while but when you get down to the facts of what it can do in comparison to Apple's . . . . not a big difference.

Also I will take Apple any day when it come to security and privacy. With Android/Google you will have neither!

Do yourself a favor and do not sell your iPhone until you know for sure the Note 10 knocks your socks off!!!

Last edited:

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Nope. I've been lured by the new shiny Samsung toy a couple times only to end up back on iOS after a few months. Android definitely has its pros but I realized its just not for me. No matter how great the hardware it im at a point where I dont need alot of (half baked) bells and whistles. iPhone may not have all the features of Android phones, Samsungs especially but it has whats important to me which are a smooth fluid reliable OS, iMessage/FT, better privacy/security, longer support, good cameras, and higher quality apps.

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio

This is something wrestle with year after year after year with Apple. I don't think there is one Apple user who hasn't experienced this frustration with them and their lack of advancement with the device. At the end of the day for me Apple works. I love all the features of Android and I have wasted countless dollars going to Android only to comeback.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast

Strangely enough, I’m not considering a new phone at all. Verizon has been offering me all these special deals if only I would buy a new phone. I’m just not interested. My current phone does everything I need it to.

My first iPhone was the 4 and it was good. I switched from the Blackberry Storm II, which was a fine device and had a lot of cool features except for one problem: it sucked as a phone. I would be on hold with a government office for 30-45 minutes. Then a human would pick up and my Storm would decide right then and there to reboot. None of my iPhones ever did that.

The phone my work gave me is some Android piece of crap. Just picking it up tells me how flimsy it is. And whatever is passing for the home button keeps breaking. As opposed to iOS, the Android OS isn’t user-friendly at all. I assume that is the selling point. If you can figure out how to use the phone, you’re cool. I just want to use the damn thing and not have to be an electrical engineer or a computer programmer in order to use it.

So good luck and tell Google that their messaging app really sucks.

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Nope. I have too much Google in my life already. I don't want an ad company running my phone's OS as well. Also, everyone I regularly talk/text has an iPhone and having iMessage/FaceTime/etc makes things easier, especially when it comes to communicating with my very tech illiterate parents/inlaws.

The fact that iPhones in general are boring and stagnant these days is a good thing to me. Gives me less of a reason to spend money on a new one.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I am perfectly happy with Iphone. If my 2 1/2 year old 6s hadn't gotten goofy with the battery all of a sudden, I would still be using it. Wife and I got new Iphone 8's, and this is our third Iphone each and have no plans to jump ship to an Android phone. I don't get upset about Apple not introducing new features that I don't even know now that I need. I guess we are just boring, happy, Iphone users.:)

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
I am perfectly happy with Iphone. If my 2 1/2 year old 6s hadn't gotten goofy with the battery all of a sudden, I would still be using it. Wife and I got new Iphone 8's, and this is our third Iphone each and have no plans to jump ship to an Android phone. I don't get upset about Apple not introducing new features that I don't even know now that I need. I guess we are just boring, happy, Iphone users.:)

Nothing wrong with boring!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
No plans to switch here. I prefer iOS to Android and I love how my iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad Pro, MacBook, and Apple TV 4K all work perfectly together. I will be sticking with Apple for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Blueline29

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
Depends on what you're looking for. Sticking with Apple you know what you'll get year on year. Going elsewhere opens the door to surprises, both good and bad, and many many things. I moved on from Apple in the phone and tablet department last year and this year respectively. If anything this change has offered me choice. I'm not longer choosing to only accept what Apple gives me, rather, I'm choosing what suits me best in the moment I make.

FWIW, I doubt I'll ever buy another iPhone. On the tablet front I may return to an iPad. Don't get me wrong, the Samsung S5e is significantly superior to what Apple can offer me at the same price point for what I'm wanting it for... media consumption. But it wouldn't take much of a change in needs for me to go back to an iPad. It's clear that both Samsung and Google didn't put a lot of effort in the tablet experience that the rough edges show. Some days I care, some I don't... for the moment most I don't.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My thing is with Apple, its still the same thing every year.
To be honest, that's actually one of the draws for me. How I can easily switch iPhones and just get back to what I was doing previously with practically no downtime. Whenever I upgrade, I actually just restore from an iTunes backup that originated from the iPhone 2G (circa 2007).

I do buy Android devices (Moto or AOSP) to tinker with. However, the iPhone's my old reliable. Strictly speaking though, iPad is my primary with the iPhone being used primarily for Continuity with iPad (iMessage + SMS forwarding, WiFi calling/call forwarding, FaceTime, etc).

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I haven’t used Android since 2011, and have no plans to return. I’m happy and content with my iPhone XS Max, which I’ll be holding onto until 2020. If I want to customize, I’ll just wait for a jailbreak to come along.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Android still has a compromise problem.

The obvious step for an iPhone user to an Android phone is the Pixel (in this case, the 3/3xl). The first thing you notice in that phone is how you take the hardware on iPhone for granted. The auto brightness is super distracting, the call quality is bad, and the design is good not great.

In contrast, Samsung devices do a number of things together. Samsung is the only phone maker on market who matches or exceeds iPhone in hardware quality. Problem? The software is a compromise. Samsung surrenders more control to the carriers when you buy the device through them and their are apps you're allowed to "disable" but not remove. Those things are mostly fine, though. What kills you with a Samsung device is the sketchy software update schedule. The updates from Google announced at I/O are about 9-12 months away if you have the latest Samsung device.

I think the big problem on Android right now is there just isn't an "Android iPhone". There are a ton of devices that come close in a number of ways, but none of them quite hit all the spots. The OnePlus 7 Pro might be close but I'm not 100% on them, either.
[doublepost=1563329864][/doublepost]
I haven’t used Android since 2011, and have no plans to return. I’m happy and content with my iPhone XS Max, which I’ll be holding onto until 2020. If I want to customize, I’ll just wait for a jailbreak to come along.
Stop me if you've heard this before: I'm with Stacey

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I want to keep my iPhone and what not, but its just loosing my interest in what possibilities you can do with a smartphone.

I find it strange when others like yourself say they ‘lose interest in a smart phone’. I mean, what do you expect a smart phone to do for you today that it couldn’t do 10 years ago? They’re literally multi tools that we use every day Way-more than just for a means of communication. If you’re ‘losing interest in what possibilities you can do with a smart phone’, then your expectations probably aren’t realistic.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I find it strange when others like yourself say they ‘lose interest in a smart phone’. I mean, what do you expect a smart phone to do for you today that it couldn’t do 10 years ago? They’re literally multi tools that we use every day Way-more than just for a means of communication. If you’re ‘losing interest in what possibilities you can do with a smart phone’, then your expectations probably aren’t realistic.
This. I have to take a step back at times and remind myself smart phones are becoming almost utilities at this point bordering on an appliance.

The age of phone discovery is almost over and at least for me the last 4 years of phone ownership has been looking for the next big exciting thing. And yet, while I do find iPhone a little less interesting than some of the Android offerings, iPhone is still the best option for me all around.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
To me, that’s actually a positive, so I don’t have to relearn things just so I can use my new phone or computer. It’s a waste of time and productivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.