Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noclu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Hi!

I have a membership to Dreamspark.
They offer a download of Windows 7 Embedded Standard (FREE).
Will the embedded version easily install on an iMac, 20-inch, 2.66, late 2009?
I have the option of downloading:
Runtime 32 bit and/or the Toolkit 32 bit.
Would I need to download both or which one?
I'm not an experienced computer person so if it's tricky, I might just opt for finding a regular license even though not free.

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hmm. I suggest you download both of them, since they are needed and need to be installed.

If you just want to use Windows 7 Embedded, you can try to download the largest file. That file includes an install image. No product key will be asked during install. But if you are asked for product key, you can refer Dreamspark site for more information.

Note: Unlike conventional Windows 7, components and features required MUST be configured during install. Once this is done, unless reinstalling system, user will not be able to either add or remove ANY feature from a Windows 7 Embedded install.

noclu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Hi Shirasaki!

Thanks for the reply. When you say that the components need to be configured, will it walk me through this process?
I will be using Bootcamp. I'm a newby at this stuff so would rather just buy a the regular Windows 7 than take a week trying to figure out how to install the embedded version.
I appreaciate the help.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hi Shirasaki!

Thanks for the reply. When you say that the components need to be configured, will it walk me through this process?
I will be using Bootcamp. I'm a newby at this stuff so would rather just buy a the regular Windows 7 than take a week trying to figure out how to install the embedded version.
I appreaciate the help.
Yes. System will provide a page to help you choose how you install your Windows 7 embedded. You can either choose a template, or customise it yourself.

Since you say you are not so familiar with it, and Windows 7 embedded is more designed for corporate use, I suggest you consider conventional Windows 7. But Windows 7 embedded don't need to worry about activation, which is somewhat an advantage. And you can choose to permanently remove components you would never use, to save spaces.

noclu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Yes. System will provide a page to help you choose how you install your Windows 7 embedded. You can either choose a template, or customise it yourself.

Since you say you are not so familiar with it, and Windows 7 embedded is more designed for corporate use, I suggest you consider conventional Windows 7. But Windows 7 embedded don't need to worry about activation, which is somewhat an advantage. And you can choose to permanently remove components you would never use, to save spaces.

Thanks Shirasaki! I really appreciate the help!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks Shirasaki! I really appreciate the help!
No worries. Glad to see this can help. :)

By the way, there is another similar system called Windows Thin PC, based on Windows 7, also designed for corporate use. If you have time you can check this out. ;) And Windows 8.1 Industrial is another similar product. Unlike Windows 7 embedded, this system does not need user to choose components needed during install, and you may use it like a conventional Windows 8.1.

noclu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
No worries. Glad to see this can help. :)

By the way, there is another similar system called Windows Thin PC, based on Windows 7, also designed for corporate use. If you have time you can check this out. ;) And Windows 8.1 Industrial is another similar product. Unlike Windows 7 embedded, this system does not need user to choose components needed during install, and you may use it like a conventional Windows 8.1.

That's all great to know. Will check it out.

Thanks Again!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.