Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
My iMacs wireless card isn't very good! It connected to my family's wireless network when I had it downstairs temporarily, but now, when it is in my room, IT WONT DAMN WeLL GET A GOOD SIGNAL!!!! I get a good signal with my Winblows laptop, BUT NOT MY IMAC! I usually only get the little dot of signal and when I only have that, I CAN"T SURF THE WEB OR PLAY LAN GAMES AND STUFF LIKE THAT!!!! Bother!!
HELP!!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Have you tried turning on the BLITHERING interference robustness? Tried a different FLIPPING channel?

Other than those few things I've got no clue eh? Can't get one of those cheap wireless access points? Rearrange your room so your iMac gets a better signal?

Man I don't know.

Anyone who doesn't get that I'm just taking the p*ss needs their sarcasm meter checked. Mod edit: yeah I think so...

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
without knowing the ins and outs of that model, is it possible the aerial has come loose from the card when you moved it. does it still have a signal even when it's ridiculously close to the base station?

Retired
May 16, 2006
What were you hoping to gain from this thread? Advice?

If so, tell us some details: what router type, distance to rooter, does it work better with doors open?, etc

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
it is a d-link DI-524. Nothing happens if i open doors. It worked when I had it downstairs and my acer laptop gets excellent reception when it is in my room!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Just to rule out the possibility that something broke, does it still work if you drag the Mac back down the stairs and try to connect from there?

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
WinterMute said:
FFS! Stop F***ing swearing in threads, you s****** b*******!!!!

:D :D
'Stupid' has 6 letters ;)

Is it just me, or does this 'abridged' thread now read like Chinese subtitles?

Hockeypuck said:
Where's the BASE STATION??!??!

:p
And has 'base station' now become a profanity?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't bother with Interference Robustness because that'll only work properly with an AirPort base station. I reckon you should just get a range extender from D-Link like this. You can call her Maude and introduce her to your friends. Take it slowly at first because otherwise you might scare away your friends. Maybe just hint at the fact you have a new girlfriend or something. If you tell them all the details straight up, they might flip out. To be honest, it's a bit weird to give a name to a network extender and pretend she's a friend, but whatever floats your boat...

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
mad jew said:
Don't bother with Interference Robustness because that'll only work properly with an AirPort base station. I reckon you should just get a range extender from D-Link like this. You can call her Maude and introduce her to your friends. Take it slowly at first because otherwise you might scare away your friends. Maybe just hint at the fact you have a new girlfriend or something. If you tell them all the details straight up, they might flip out. To be honest, it's a bit weird to give a name to a network extender and pretend she's a friend, but whatever floats your boat...

.......o......k.....

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's the router.Windows machines naturally work better with windows designed equipment.Apple computers work better with Apple designed equipment..

I'd recommend either getting a newer D-Link router or an Airport Airtunes and plug it in your room.

Either that or send me your Mac so you won't feel so bad anymore. ;)..Oh

Try changing the channel of your router to a number either side of the scale away from any portable phone or other equipment that can interfere.Maybe even check to see if your Mac is using the same channel as the router.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Peace said:
It's the router.Windows machines naturally work better with windows designed equipment.Apple computers work better with Apple designed equipment.

Although sort of correct, 802.11G is meant to be a pretty well adhered-to standard. Different machines have different antennas and different reception abilities, irrespective of their operating system. :)

tominated

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
frankblundt said:
without knowing the ins and outs of that model, is it possible the aerial has come loose from the card when you moved it. does it still have a signal even when it's ridiculously close to the base station?
We only just got a new router because that happened, so i don't see how it would happen this fast.

Peace said:
I'd recommend either getting a newer D-Link router or an Airport Airtunes and plug it in your room
I would get one if i had the money.. :'(

BTW: when the downstairs computer is connected to the network thats when these symtoms are occuring, my brother was atsomething today instead or playing runescape so the pc wasn't on and I got full signal!

P.S. The downstairs pc it right next to the router. should i try having it plugged in instead of wirelessly conected?

RobTuck

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
UK
BTW: when the downstairs computer is connected to the network thats when these symtoms are occuring, my brother was atsomething today instead or playing runescape so the pc wasn't on and I got full signal!

Is the downstairs computer connecting using B (11Mbps) or G (54Mbps)?

If one piece of equipment connects using B, then all other equipment will only be able to connect at B.

Also, how close to the router is your downstairs computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.