Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's main iPhone assembler in India is scouting for additional land in Bangalore to expand its existing facilities, according to a new report today by Bloomberg.

Wistron executives reportedly toured the city last week and have shortlisted plots covering around 100 acres, including one plot close to the airport. The Taiwanese manufacturer may use the planned facilities to supply other brands, too, but Wistron has so far kept shtum on the matter.

indian_flag.jpg

Wistron began making the iPhone SE in India in May of this year. Since that time, Apple has been seeking exemptions from the country's government that will allow it to set up more units to assemble iPhones. The company has asked state officials for a range of tax and policy changes to help build out its iPhone assembly infrastructure in India, and today's report suggests that it may have gotten its way.

India recently ousted the U.S. to become the world's second-largest smartphone market after China, according to market research conducted by industry analyst Canalys. However, Apple has so far struggled to make a significant dent, mainly because its smartphones are so much more expensive than rivals such as Oppo and Xiaomi. But also because the government levies tariffs on devices manufactured outside the country, hence Apple's eagerness to assemble more iPhones there.

During Apple's earnings call last week, CEO Tim Cook said the company has "great momentum in India, where revenue doubled year over year". But he also said that to gain ground, Apple would have to work on many fronts.

"It's building stores. It's building channels. It's building markets. It's building the developer ecosystem," said Cook. "It's having the right product lineup for the market. And I feel like we're making good progress there and are gaining understanding of the market, but we still have a long way to go."

Article Link: Apple Supplier Looks Set to Expand iPhone Assembly Facilities in India

Last edited:
Reactions: Avieshek

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
I hope the salaries and work environment isn’t as bad as stories that come from China.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I hope the salaries and work environment isn’t as bad as stories that come from China.

Factory work ain't pretty in most places. :(

But as bad as the conditions are in China... and with hundreds of people literally begging for work daily...

...there must not be many (or any) alternatives, right?

I mean... if you weren't working at Foxconn... what would you be doing?

It sounds like there's not much else.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Good for us at several levels. Iphone SE is at amazing price levels for us currently. there is increasing proliferation of iPhones over the years. So apple stands to gain as much here

Reactions: rawCpoppa

Madhava

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2017
If only Apple can get their stores, apple care and the monthly payment plans...
May be I am dreaming too much.

nayanbhalotia

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this happens soon. The iPhone X costs about 1400$ in India. Seeing how the prices of iPhone SE went down drastically, i hope the prices of other devices also drop after this.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Tariffs on imports eh? Seems like it drives up domestic manufacturing, and it seems like manufacturing, not service jobs seem to impact the economy...

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Factory work ain't pretty in most places. :(

But as bad as the conditions are in China... and with hundreds of people literally begging for work daily...

I don’t know much about China except for the horror factory stories. Yes factory workers will continue to get exploited and it isn’t pretty in India either. We are a little more democratic and have unions in most factories, not that those union help the regular factory worker. I just don’t want fellow Indians to be exploited the same way. We have a lot of our workers in the Middle East where they go looking for a dream but end up getting abused. Lookup Qatar World Cup human rights issues. We cannot control the abuse there but hopefully we make sure the conditions are better here.
[doublepost=1510058578][/doublepost]
Tariffs on imports eh? Seems like it drives up domestic manufacturing, and it seems like manufacturing, not service jobs seem to impact the economy...

This. India has usually been a restricted economy purely for these reasons. Lot of western countries have stopped producing (except for firearms) so lot of those economies are just consumers.

We have a lot of communists catalysts that usually stop the country from growth but also serve some useful purpose when it comes to such foreign investments.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Producing SE will not work in this age of Samsung, Vivo, Oppo, Xiaomi in India. They are just letting the same mistake happen as in China and with the same companies to assure this mistake clearly can happen.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Apparently there's plenty of work available.

According to several reports, the main reason Foxconn and other China factories had to sharply increase wages a few years back was not from any external Apple or Dell pressure, but because they were having trouble attracting enough good labor !

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...s-foxconn-to-double-wages-again/#1d3fb91f5d16

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Aniruddh

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2017
However, Apple has so far struggled to make a significant dent, mainly because its smartphones are so much more expensive than rivals such as Oppo and Xiaomi. But also because the government levies tariffs on devices manufactured outside the country, hence Apple's eagerness to assemble more iPhones there.

Forget Oppo and Xiaomi, they are dirt cheap. Apple is behind because it is wayyy expensive than Samsung.

Samsung Galaxy S8 costs ₹57,800 (~$890) and iPhone X costs 89,900 (~$1400). That's a difference of ₹32,100 (almost $510). You can get an S8 plus a decent smartphone if you ditch iPhone X.

I have recently got S8 for my father and young brother for the same reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.