Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
so i bought it from ebay for US$ 48.99, came from HK, free international shipping as usual.
but it was only after ordering it i came to know there are fakes out there so when i received it today i googled and youtube the differences for fake vs real lifeproofs and unbelieveably, it matches every single criteria for being a real case! not a single characteristic exists on this which may suggest it is fake, in fact it perfectly matches with the genuine ones! it even has THREE serial numbers like the real one, one on the box, one on the back piece and one on the front piece!
it is perfectly waterproof too.
there is no way this can be real because, its almost 45% cheaper than original!

ive now applied for warranty extension on lifeproof.con lets see what comes out :)

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
i think bc they are actually made in china the fakes would be just as good as the real ones (as opposed to fake elements that are made in usa ans copied in china) haha thats funny though

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
oh my god i cant believe its happening...

got an email saying

Congratulations! You are now a part of the LifeProof 360 (+5) club and have successfully activated your extended warranty for your LifeProof iPhone 4S/4 Case.

Should you have any problems or simply wish to send us your feedback, please visit our support page at http://support.lifeproof.com.

Kind Regards,The LifeProof Team

they just approved the serial numbers?!!

but wait..it says iphone 4/4s and mine is 5 :D there you go its a fake but still it got approved.

i forgot to mention in my original post that after buying i even wrote to seller(who was prompt to reply previously) that is it a genuine lifeproof fre case like at lifeproof.com, and i never received a reply for it.

what a miserable fact, chinese make cheap fakes and lifeproof covers it's warranty :( poor them

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
but the extended warranty wont be covered surely , as when you ask to replace it they will replace it with a iphone 4/4s case so useless . Hope you didnt pay for the extended warranty.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Or when you send it in and they see it's not real they'll deny a replacement. I also hope you didn't pay for the extended warranty.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Can you post some pictures showing the insides?
I just noticed today that eBay is loaded with fake Lifeproof cases including the color ones which Lifeproof themselves won't even have out for another month or so.

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
na extended warranty is free

----------

Can you post some pictures showing the insides?
I just noticed today that eBay is loaded with fake Lifeproof cases including the color ones which Lifeproof themselves won't even have out for another month or so.

sure ill do it today

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
so i bought it from ebay for US$ 48.99, came from HK, free international shipping as usual.
but it was only after ordering it i came to know there are fakes out there so when i received it today i googled and youtube the differences for fake vs real lifeproofs and unbelieveably, it matches every single criteria for being a real case! not a single characteristic exists on this which may suggest it is fake, in fact it perfectly matches with the genuine ones! it even has THREE serial numbers like the real one, one on the box, one on the back piece and one on the front piece!
it is perfectly waterproof too.
there is no way this can be real because, its almost 45% cheaper than original!

ive now applied for warranty extension on lifeproof.con lets see what comes out :)

I like how you hit the nail on the head when you said lifeproof.con

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Lol, for something like this, it's like buying fake insurance hoping to be able to make a claim when something goes wrong. The case's most important purpose is to keep the phone safe, are you sure that's something you would bet on a fake case? I could understand buying replica designer cases but for a case like Lifeproof, I doubt it would give the same protection.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
probally made in the same factory, but at night when the genuine life proof run ends...lol...and that does happen!!!

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
probally made in the same factory, but at night when the genuine life proof run ends...lol...and that does happen!!!

Just like the Kingston memory cards.

But one can never be sure, and I definitely won't risk my phone getting wet in a fake Fre case.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Possible, "real fakes" are apparently more common than one would think. Personally, I'd have no problem buying thinks like Nike shoes from a shady Chinese reseller who clearly are selling to lower-than-normal prices. But when it comes to something like a LifeProof case... I don't know. Maybe if it wasn't supposed to be waterproof, since I know I'll be a lot more careless with a waterproof case on.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
Possible, "real fakes" are apparently more common than one would think. Personally, I'd have no problem buying thinks like Nike shoes from a shady Chinese reseller who clearly are selling to lower-than-normal prices. But when it comes to something like a LifeProof case... I don't know. Maybe if it wasn't supposed to be waterproof, since I know I'll be a lot more careless with a waterproof case on.

Yep things like trainers etc are ok.....but when your trying to protect a £700 bit of electronic equipment, buy the real thing!!!, doesnt really cost that much more, and could end up costing you a fortune!!!

Mind you i bought a copy IWC Big Pilot watch last year from Turkey, hasnt let me down at all!!..still keeps perfect time and almost impossible to tell the difference from the real thing!!, even i struggle to spot the difference, and i do know my watches very well as i own a Pam 88 and a Blancpain 50 fathoms....so some things that are copied are very very good....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.