Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
i don't know about you all, but my MBP wireless connection is horrible.

it loses connection very often, and it takes forever to pick up the connection again.

is there a fix for this yet? i updated to 10.6.2 but it didn't help one bit.

i have the new 13" MBP.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
My MBP 13" wireless is rock solid. Never drops connection. Full speed. Perfect. I use an Airport Extreme at home, and the generic Symbol wireless AP's at work.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
My MBP is solid also really fast and I dont remember ever dropping signal, I have a two story house and my router is upstairs, I walk around the house and use my laptop downstairs all the time and never any issues. My girlfriend has a 13" MBP and I have a 15" and none of us have any connection problems. I am using an Apple Time capsule as my router.

I would try a different router before blaming your computer since a router is much cheaper to replace. Try going to a place with public wi-fi or if you have a friend with an apple router try going there and connecting for a while see what happens.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Honestly, I've always had problems with Linksys routers. Also, another thing is that with the Airport Extreme and the Macbook Pro, it automatically uses 5ghz Wireless-N. Less interference. Not sure if that matters for you. I live in a building with like 20 wireless AP's next to me. So with my D-Link DGL-4500 I keep dropping signal as well. Once I switched to Airport Extreme at home, rock solid.

And I never had a problem at work.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wireless connectivity is greatly affected buy the conditions of your environment. Interference from other wireless signals in the area, as well as distance and barriers can have a great affect on the strength and consistency of your signal. It's not your MBP. If it were, everyone would have the same problems. It could also be your particular router.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
i live in an apt also, what pissing me off is that my gf can stay connected 24/7 with her lenovo.

so my option is to try out an apple router?

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I have a document called 'Airport Problems Diary' which I'm updating almost daily in an attempt to get Apple to sort out my issues - I'm always losing internet, my MBP drops wifi, my Apple TV loses connection, the MBP will see my network but won't connect etc. etc.

My 6-month old MBP has apparently been repaired by Apple, I have a three week old Airport Extreme and still no-one is able to sort it out.

I agree - Apple's attempt at wireless networking sucks.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Personally, I would check out an Airport Extreme. As a bonus, you can hook up an external hard drive and never have to worry about backing up again.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
You could try a different network, at friends house or elsewhere perhaps. This may a configuration issue, or simply interference.

Also, you may want to check that your Linksys wifi router has the latest firmware installed.

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
i don't know about you all, but my MBP wireless connection is horrible.

it loses connection very often, and it takes forever to pick up the connection again.

is there a fix for this yet? i updated to 10.6.2 but it didn't help one bit.

I'm having nothing but issues also. Our entire house had problems with a Linksys router. My roommate bought a 'high end' Netgear router last month to replace it and everyone is fine now except for me. My connection randomly drops, and at least once a day I have to physically restart the router to even get a valid IP address.

That last one is the real strange one. I work in IT for a school district and have never seen anything like that. Everyone is connected and able to use the internet via wireless. My Mac is showing as connected to the router, however the MacBook Pro self assigns an IP. I've tried everything from upgrading firmware to assigning my MAC address a static address. Nothing works except for power cycling the router (which ticks everyone in the house off; "Why did you restart the internet, it was working just fine for us")!

I'm getting the usual treatment too: "It must be your Mac".

My wireless works beautifully everywhere else. In fact, here at work I'm on it all day long using an AirPort Extreme. My conclusion is: either Apple decided to make computers which are incompatible with all other brands other than AirPorts OR more realistically Netgear and Linksys make CRAP routers.

To be fair we do in fact have a lot of wireless routers nearby. Even though we live in a two story house I'm able to pickup between 8-10 other wireless access points at any given time. I'm sure that isn't helping interference wise. But still, it doesn't explain why everyone else in the house never has any issues. All of us are about the same distance from the router.

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
This might sound silly, but it doesn't hurt to try it.

Goto network in system prefs, add another wireless connection (by pressing the little + button down left) and move it all the down the list (name it whatever).

That helped my connection to become super stable for some odd reason when I got my macbook 1 year ago. :confused:

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
I have a D-link DIR-825 router that I have problems from dropping all the time. All my windows devices have no problem connecting to it.

On my macbookpro I disabled ipV6 and that seemed to help. But yet I still drop and waking from a sleep it seems to take a while to connect back to this connection. I have full signal and its 802.11n. I am debating about calling because this is getting annoying. It's less than 30 days old.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Every few days my MBP 13 drops the connection and I just turn airport off and back on and it's fine. But I wish it would not do it.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
i am sure my router is working just fine. like i said, my gf's lenovo is connecting just fine. My previous Dell laptop connected just fine.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Do you still have these issues if you try connecting to other routers / WAPs? I think you should try to determine if it's an issue with your MBP specifically. If so, it's new and you can get it fixed.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Try changing the wireless channel in your router's settings. I had poor performance until I changed from the default channel, probably due to too many other nearby devices using that channel.

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
Try changing the wireless channel in your router's settings. I had poor performance until I changed from the default channel, probably due to too many other nearby devices using that channel.

Probably the best suggestion here. Grab a program like KisMAC to see what channels are being used around you and change your router's accordingly. Use 1, 6 or 11 if you can, then 4 or 7.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I've been having trouble with my Late 08 MBP. I thought it was just my Netgear WNDR3700 router, but now I'm home for the holidays, and having trouble keeping a connection to a Motorola modem with WiFi (SGB900) and a Dlink DIR=615. My laptop is about 4 feet away from both of them.

The Netgear leaves the connection totally gone.
The Motorola just gives no internet connection after a while, then it will disconnect.
The Dlink gives severe data packet loss.

The other laptop in the house does not exhibit any problems with the Motorola or Dlink router. It's a Dell Inspiron E1505.

I might add that there are no other networks around my home. I live in on a quiet 7 acre lot with one immediate neighbor that is about 500 feet away. We do have cordless 2.4Ghz telephones, but they are not near the modem or router. Channels are different on the modem and the router, so they should not be interference.

palane

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009
it would suck if i have pay almost 200 dollars for an apple router.

Airport Express runs $99 ($79 refurb). We went with one for printer sharing (USB port) and Time Machine. That and it's easier to configure from a Mac than the router/DSL modem that came from Verizon.

BB

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
apple products in general have a poor signal reception. my router is about 10 feet away from my computer, and i only get 60% signal. same with other apple hardware i tried elsewhere on other routers, and same for iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.