Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I'm still on iOS as my main phone. I've been looking for a reason to ditch them for a long time, but nothing better has come out. But I see Microsoft making some very smart moves today, this may just finally sway me over.

Windows apps are universal now, dev only has to write one app, very nice.
No license fee for Windows for any device 9" and under, very nice.
Cortana looks pretty amazing, very nice.
Lumia 930 looks stunning. Yeah they copied the iphone, that's a plus.
Touch native Office in action, very nice.
WP 8.1 brings WP up to date, Cortana, notifications, etc.
Win 8.1 melds metro and desktop together better
Dev tools to take existing legacy/desktop apps, keep underlying code and apply a new UI, VERY nice, WOW

Looks like getting Balmer out of there was key to finally thinking the right way. This is going to be an exciting year for sure with Microsoft now truly entering the arena. This is only day one, who knows what will be announced tomorrow...

Last edited:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I was thinking last year when the Dell Venue Pro came out that in a couple more years and the advances in tech with the drop in price, MS may just own the tablet market or a huge chunk of it. Todays new certain goes towards that imo

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Balmer was the Forstall of Microsoft :D

Seriously though, I am VERY impressed with Microsoft. I've been looking down on them ever since the move to Metro (Windows Phone 7) and Windows 8/WP8/Xbox One really sent me in the wrong direction, but the build session so far has REALLY begun to change my attitude.

I'm not getting a Windows Phone, or swapping my iPad for a Windows tablet, or trading in my PS4 for an Xbox One, but I will say all this info has gotten my attention. Microsoft might once again be an opponent to Apple.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Looks like getting Balmer out of there was key to finally thinking the right way. This is going to be an exciting year for sure with Microsoft now truly entering the arena. This is only day one, who knows what will be announced tomorrow...

Everything that happened yesterday was definitely under Balmer. Nadella hasn't been around long enough to do so much.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been getting tempted by WP myself. 8.1 certainly helps with that justification

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
In only wish they added stuff that made Symbian so great to WP too:

- call recording
- HDMI output
- hackability like accessing the full 41 Mpixel sensor of the 808

Before it's done, I'm sticking with my JB'n iPhone 5. (And, if I, for some reason, lose JB, my trusty Nokia 808.)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Ahh the obligatory anti-Microsoft noncontributing statement, I was wondering why it took so long.

Glad I could oblige ;)

I have a severe bias against Microsoft because of the damage they did during the 1990's with their completely illegal business practices, substandard software and their general lack of morality. Yes, I STILL haven't gotten over it. :mad:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Glad I could oblige ;)

I have a severe bias against Microsoft because of the damage they did during the 1990's with their completely illegal business practices, substandard software and their general lack of morality. Yes, I STILL haven't gotten over it. :mad:

You should really probably get over it by now. That was around 20 years ago, and there's a new bully in the room by the name of Google.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
You should really probably get over it by now. That was around 20 years ago, and there's a new bully in the room by the name of Google.

Funny, I dont at all see Google as a bully - I tend to think Apple has taken over that role. Apple are the one pretty much constantly trying to put companies out of business in the courts, not Google. Do you have any examples of what you think makes Google a bully?

And I don't really need to get over it. My money is made from Linux and BSD and for fun I use OS X, iOS and Android. I have zero requirements for MS products and haven't for at least a decade.

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
One cool thing they're doing with 8.1 is universal apps. Dev makes an app, it'll be able to run on phones, tablets, PC's, and Xbox.

Far as convergence is concerned, MS is ahead of the game

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
One cool thing they're doing with 8.1 is universal apps. Dev makes an app, it'll be able to run on phones, tablets, PC's, and Xbox.

Far as convergence is concerned, MS is ahead of the game

Definitely very interesting....

As long as the same developers don't expect me to pay for the app 3 times on my Surface 2 Pro, my Windows Phone and my XBO ....

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Funny, I dont at all see Google as a bully - I tend to think Apple has taken over that role. Apple are the one pretty much constantly trying to put companies out of business in the courts, not Google. Do you have any examples of what you think makes Google a bully?

And I don't really need to get over it. My money is made from Linux and BSD and for fun I use OS X, iOS and Android. I have zero requirements for MS products and haven't for at least a decade.

yup, Apple is the biggest law firm in the world. However, Google needs to have someone keep them in check; they have everything on everyone.

For me, Windows phone have a ways to go, but they are really making improvements.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Definitely very interesting....

As long as the same developers don't expect me to pay for the app 3 times on my Surface 2 Pro, my Windows Phone and my XBO ....

A universal app is buy once run on all of the devices. However, making an app universal is a choice. Developers can still make separate apps for each device if they prefer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.