Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today reminded users that Wunderlist will be shut down on May 6, meaning that to-dos will no longer sync. Wunderlist users will still be able to transfer their tasks and lists over to the Microsoft To Do app until June 30.

wunderlist-microsoft-to-do.jpg

How to migrate from Wunderlist to Microsoft To Do:
1. Download the Microsoft To Do app.
2. Sign in with your Microsoft account. If you don't have one, you can create one using an existing email address (like Gmail).
3. Click on the pop-up in Microsoft To Do, or head to Settings and select Import. It'll direct you to the Wunderlist importer.
Microsoft acquired Wunderlist in 2015 and launched its own To Do app with many of the same features a few years later, including folders, subtasks, file attachments, list sharing, notes, reminders and due dates, and a dark mode.

Microsoft To Do is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Wunderlist Users Have Until June 30 to Transfer Tasks to Microsoft's To Do App

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
MS To Do isn't that much different from my experience, especially now that you can configure new items to go to the top instead of bottom. Only complaint is it seems to crash a lot.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
I would love to see tighter integration between To Do and MS Planner. I get a lot of tasks assigned to my via Planner. It would be great if these migrated to my To Do list. OneNote and enhanced Outlook integration would be great too.

This exists in my M365 instance. I have, in To Do on the sidebar, a "Planner" List and those tasks show up in the "Planned" list as well and I can add them to "Important" to "Today" as well.

Do you see this or is there further integration you want?

Reactions: kyleh22

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
I would love to see tighter integration between To Do and MS Planner. I get a lot of tasks assigned to my via Planner. It would be great if these migrated to my To Do list. OneNote and enhanced Outlook integration would be great too.
There is some integration between To Do and Planner if you use Office/Microsoft 365

Reactions: 69Mustang

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
In These Uncertain Times, it's heartwarming to see Microsoft is still buying out smaller competitors, shutting them down, and adding their technological distinctiveness to its own products.

Makes me feel like it's still 1994 and I don't have a care in the world beyond saving up for the next version.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
And then in year or so Microsoft will get bored of this to do app and reinvent it with a new product.

Reactions: macguru212

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
In These Uncertain Times, it's heartwarming to see Microsoft is still buying out smaller competitors, shutting them down, and adding their technological distinctiveness to its own products.

Makes me feel like it's still 1994 and I don't have a care in the world beyond saving up for the next version.
There is a big difference between now and 1994. In 1994 Microsoft was alone, now Apple has joined Microsoft in doing it and as far as mobile apps are concerned, Apple is probably doing more of it than Microsoft.

Reactions: 4487549

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
I used it mostly as a shared shopping list with my wife. Now we just use a shared Apple Reminders sheet. Just as good for us. Still its a shame to see it go, and I really don't want a MS Todo list.

• Disagree
Reactions: 4487549 and costeta

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

While I'm sad to see Wunderlist go ... I used to use that a LOT back in the day before it was Microsoft, in all fairness Microsoft kept Wunderlist around for a very long time.

I've migrated to using ToDoIst over the last 3+ years. Just love being able to add stuff via keyboard and do everything without having to click 40 times to set dates, etc.

Microsoft To Do isn't bad but... I've been spoiled with todoist (every three days, every thursday, next thursday, next month) -- just typing that and it's automatically scheduled.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
I might be too stupid to use the to-do app. When I launch the app, it asks for login. I enter my Live email, then it says I can’t use a private account...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
This is why I don't stick to 3rd party app where they tend to go out of business in couple of years... I stick to Apple Notes.

Apple notes for reminders?

I get your point of course, it’s just that not every third party goes to sell out to a bigger company or dies out.

And there’s the other example where Apple apps get shut down, let’s take Aperture as an example. At the end of the day you should always have a plan B just on case you need to switch to an alternative.

Last edited:

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I use Things since pre-1.0, with a gap somewhere during the 2.x timeline because my MBP15 was becoming underpowered while waiting for a MBP I'd buy, now back on that.

The first time I saw MS Todo was during a screen share not long ago and I was confused as it at quick glance looked like Things 2.x.
I tried it as Things and Omnifocus are both (AFAIK on the latter) Mac only.
While Things not having a working Outlook integration via hotkey (send link to mail message into Things task) is silly beyond end, MS To Do was like the kindergartner equivalent. I don't get it - no worthwhile hot keys, think it was also lacking drag and drop to link to docs, etc. Just no thanks. Considering how long Wunderlist has been around, I can only assume it's much more advanced than what I looked at a few months back with 'MS Todo' :(

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

It's no different to what other companies like Apple do with apps like Dark Sky!

At least MS are giving people some sort of alternative on their platform of choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.