Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hi. Many weeks ago (in April), I downloaded XtraFinder version 0.28. This is intended to suit OSX High Sierra. However, although High Sierra is installed on a separate partition on my iMac, usually, I use Sierra, occasionally making forays into High Sierra to try out various things. I shall move into High Sierra when I feel ready to do so.

Anyway, I found that this new (and latest) version of XtraFinder did not work properly in Sierra (in some ways, it's OK but not in others), so I deleted it and re-installed the previous version, which is less problematic. Also, just to be sure, I installed XtrF. v. 0.28 on my High Sierra partition, but it was still faulty, even with the OS that it had been tailored to suit.

I informed its creator (Trakyam) of XtraFinder of the faults, but, as usual, there was no response. Nor, since April, have there been any corrections to this useful little utility.

With this background (and to come to the point), does anyone else have any problems with XtraFinder 0.28? I have been wondering whether it is something about my computer that may be causing the malfunctioning, and not the app itself. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, for any helpful replies.
C.H.

ADDED TWO DAYS LATER: OK then — perhaps no one does have any problems using XtraFinder 0.28. So, let me rephrase my question. Is there anyone using version 0.28, on either Sierra or High Sierra, that finds no malfunctions, in any way, with this little app? I should like to know whether the fault is mine, or that of the app.

Last edited:

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
Hello,
I have also issues with Sierra (not High Sierra) but xtrafinder is compatible for the most of the time. For example the main issues are the following: loses focus on tabs on finder. For example if I will go to a folder in hard disk from another program, eg. utorrent, it opens it in a new tab BUT it doesn't focus and shows it immediately. You have to click on the last right tab to view the folder. It's somehow annoying. Another one is that when you have left open / use xtrafinder for a long time if you try to drag n drop a file to another tab, folder, etc, it freezes and you need to relaunch xtrafinder so that it will be ok. And the last one is if you have xtrafinder open for a long time again (perhaps memory issues) and you close it with X, if you click on the dock to the icon of xtrafinder, it just doesn't open. Either you have to relaunch it or you have to press right click on the icon and select "New Finder Window" to somehow force it to open a new window.

Today, with Mojave despite the fact that I really want to install it, I will not do it because this version of xtrafinder is uncompatible and I prefer to rather work with an almost working xtrafinder than without it at all..
[doublepost=1537880758][/doublepost]Ah by the way, I am using v.0.27 because I found a way to bypass the beta expired window but the issues that I have were also in 0.28.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hello,

Ah by the way, I am using v.0.27 because I found a way to bypass the beta expired window but the issues that I have were also in 0.28.

I also am using v. 27, and am still using Sierra for my regular OS. As I said earlier, it isn't working perfectly, but it is extremely useful, and, like you, I should not like to be without it. I don't have any need to work around an expired beta window. I don't know what you mean by that. If I restart or log out and in again, a window does appear, saying that the beta has expired. It also advises me that there is another version available. I just click on "Remind me later", and it goes away. X.F. then works as before.
C.H.

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
I also am using v. 27, and am still using Sierra for my regular OS. As I said earlier, it isn't working perfectly, but it is extremely useful, and, like you, I should not like to be without it. I don't have any need to work around an expired beta window. I don't know what you mean by that. If I restart or log out and in again, a window does appear, saying that the beta has expired. It also advises me that there is another version available. I just click on "Remind me later", and it goes away. X.F. then works as before.
C.H.

I mean that you can force xf to never show this annoying message ever again. I am sending you some instructions. You can download this file and read the steps.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/f1z0ztevq13ak5l/Xtrafinder_Hacked_v.0.27.zip/file

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hello,

Today, with Mojave despite the fact that I really want to install it, I will not do it because this version of xtrafinder is uncompatible and I prefer to rather work with an almost working xtrafinder than without it at all..

Today (28 Sept. 2018), I downloaded XtraFinder v. 1 (it cost just over five US dollars, though I paid for mine in sterling. It worked fine for about an hour. Then, I thought I would change one of the preferences. The preferences window would not open, so I clicked on restart XtraFinder (or something like that). It did quit, but after that, nothing. It would not even open with a double-click on its icon in the Applications folder. Is it me, or is it the app? I kept SIP disabled, because that suits another app that cannot work with it. However, that ought not to prevent XtraFinder from working.
A.W.

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
Hello!

Thank you for your post. I read it too that xtrafinder has a new version (!) but I have read in facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/XtraFinder/
that a lot of people still have problem using it. I don't mind paying only 5 euros / dollars but at least to be working. I might try it too but I haven't installed Mojave yet and I don't know if I will install it. I have Sierra though.

Any other user? Anyone can write here ...

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hello!

Thank you for your post. I read it too that xtrafinder has a new version (!) but I have read in facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/XtraFinder/
that a lot of people still have problem using it. I don't mind paying only 5 euros / dollars but at least to be working. I might try it too but I haven't installed Mojave yet and I don't know if I will install it. I have Sierra though.

Any other user? Anyone can write here ...

I also am using Sierra as my usual OS (I'm rather lazy — or busy, perhaps), so have not moved all my stuff over to my High Sierra partition. Anyway, v. 1 of XtraFinder covers about three degrees of Mac OSX (from Sierra to Mojave), so it's not as if the fault lies in my using Sierra. I reported the fault (it still won't open) to Trakyaman. It astonished me that he replied almost immediately, asking to send some crash reports. With luck, he will do a quick mend of this useful little utility.
C.H.

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
I also am using Sierra as my usual OS (I'm rather lazy — or busy, perhaps), so have not moved all my stuff over to my High Sierra partition. Anyway, v. 1 of XtraFinder covers about three degrees of Mac OSX (from Sierra to Mojave), so it's not as if the fault lies in my using Sierra. I reported the fault (it still won't open) to Trakyaman. It astonished me that he replied almost immediately, asking to send some crash reports. With luck, he will do a quick mend of this useful little utility.
C.H.

Unbelievable! He answered to your reply and he answered to facebook! Now that he has a price to his software, he is more professional :);) !!
So, we will wait and see !

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Unbelievable! He answered to your reply and he answered to facebook! Now that he has a price to his software, he is more professional :);) !!

I told Mr Tran Ky Nam about the problem, and he advised me to re-install. It may be that, in uninstalling the old version, I deleted some of the files of the new version, because after re-installing, it seems to work just fine. I shall monitor it now, to make sure it keeps behaving well, but I am very optimistic.
C.H.

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
I uninstalled my 0.26 version and then I installed 1.0. Oh well, the same as before. The same issue with the tabs again. I wrote an email to the developer and I sent my settings and he replied to me that he will see it.
I believe that the uninstaller does not do a correct job because the settings with the 1.0 version were exactly the same, for example I have inserted F6 to have it as a keyboard shortcut as rename and it is the same over and over again. I don't need to re-assign to xtrafinder regardless the version that I am installing, so if an error exists, with the uninstaller maybe is not away and it appears all the time.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
I uninstalled my 0.26 version and then I installed 1.0. Oh well, the same as before. The same issue with the tabs again. I wrote an email to the developer and I sent my settings and he replied to me that he will see it.

I thought that when I re-installed it (v.1), it would be OK. However, after leaving the Mac on sleep mode for three hours, I went doing something elsewhere (off the computer). When I woke up the Mac afterwards, I tried XF by clicking on its Preferences command, to open the window. It did not open, and I had to re-install again. (Also, this time, it was necessary for me to register again, also.)

Following that, it worked OK (except that the Pinnable window does not appear, when commanded). Anyway, I left it again on sleep mode for a few hours. This time, it seems OK (ish, because of the Pinnable window not appearing). There may be other faults that I have not yet found. It's all been reported to Mr Tran Ky Nam, so I shall just have to wait and see.
C.H.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015

He has tried to find out the problems by sending me a copy (of v. 1) that is supposed to show a pop-up telling what is wrong, when it malfunctions or won't open. However, I could not get this to work, though I tried several times. I re-installed v. 1 (the ordinary kind) after this. Surprisingly, it now seems to be working fine in Sierra. When I installed Mojave on a separate partition, though, and installed it there, the column-width setting did not work. I tried re-setting that preference many times, but the columns showed very narrow and needed to be dragged out manually. I reported all this to Mr Tran Ky Nam. I suppose he will get there in the end, and things do look promising.
C.H.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015

What follows is just a revision of my earlier reply. I installed version 1.1 several weeks ago, and it seemed to be OK. However, when I installed it in another partition on my Mac, which partition runs Mojave, it did not work properly (the column-width minimum and maximum settings did not work). My regular partition, running Sierra, worked OK in all respects, as far as I could tell. However, when using Sierra, later on, I noticed that the column-width setting was now not working (it seems to have changed all by itself, and has not caused by anything that I had done).

Then, a few days ago, I noticed that the Control click (contextual) menu did not include DELETE PERMANENTLY, which, previously, it had done. Yesterday, I logged into another partition on my Mac, which partition has High Sierra installed on it. When I had done what I needed to do in High Sierra, I re-booted into my regular OS (Sierra), and discovered that the contextual menu now DOES include the command: DELETE PERMANENTLY.

It seems that XtraFinder is still buggy and not totally reliable. I have informed its creator of these discrepancies, so I hope that, in time, these faults will be ironed out.
C.H.

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
Many bugs in the latest version.. I have read also in Mojave that it doesn't not support tabs at all. Is this correct? I always use tabs!

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Many bugs in the latest version.. I have read also in Mojave that it doesn't not support tabs at all. Is this correct? I always use tabs!

Sorry, I don't remember anything about using tabs in Mojave. (Mojave was just an experiment — I just wanted to see whether it could be installed, by unofficial means, on my old iMac.) My particular needs with XtraFinder are column-width settings, delete permanently and dual windows.
C.H.

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
Ok, no problem.
Just an hour ago, v.1.2.2 released (it mentioned also in its facebook page). It fixes some bugs but it doesn't say anything about tabs... At least, the developer is supporting it and it works without disabling SIP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.