Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

About one year ago smart lock company August Home was acquired by Swedish lock manufacturer Assa Abloy, which also owns Yale and a few other lock brands. Today, Yale and August announced that they are teaming up for a new line of Keypad Smart Locks that combine Yale's secure lock hardware with August's app and cloud-based connected software.

The "Assure Locks - Connected by August" will let customers unlock their doors manually with August's app or an entry code, as well as automatically thanks to the Auto Unlock feature, which grants access as the user approaches with their smartphone. Existing Yale customers will be able to replace older deadbolt lock and keys with the smart keypads.

yale-august-locks.jpg
Thanks to August's integration, the Yale keypads also support Siri and HomeKit, so users can ask Siri to open the door or set automations that lock and unlock the door at certain times of the day. The keypads also work with Alexa and Google Assistant.

Additionally, customers can use the August app itself to control the new keypads, share virtual keys, see status updates of who comes and goes from their home, and ensure that the door is closed and locked. August CEO Jason Johnson says the new products are just the beginning of the Yale and August partnership.
"Yale and August share a deep commitment to making our customers' doors smarter and more secure," said Jason Johnson, CEO and co-founder of August. "This new Yale Connected by August lineup is simply the beginning of what we will accomplish together when it comes to innovating the lock industry."

"When August became part of the ASSA ABLOY family, it made perfect sense for the two companies to combine one another's expertise to build new and exciting products for our customers," said Jason Williams, President of Yale's Residential Group. "We've brought together our respective teams of engineers and designers to create products that seamlessly integrate our most trusted hardware with our smartest software."
The Connected by August kit includes an August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge and DoorSense, enabling remote access of the keypad lock when not at home. There are two models: the Assure Lock SL with an edge-to-edge touchscreen keypad at $299 and the Assure Lock Touchscreen with a numeric touchscreen as well as traditional key access at $279. Existing Assure Locks can be upgraded by purchasing the Connected by August kit separately for $129.

You can purchase both new models on ShopYaleHome.com today, and the locks will launch on August.com, Amazon, Lowes, and Best Buy in mid October.

Article Link: Yale and August Launch New HomeKit-Compatible Smart Keypads

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
There should be a free upgrade or steeply discounted upgrade price for existing users. $129 to be able to use the August app and Door sense.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Why are these things always ugly!? I don’t want to see the brand name on the device. This isn’t acceptable on regular handlesets so why is it on a smart lock?

Because that's how they spread brand awareness. If you have a Yale smartlock, most people coming to your house probably think its a cool product and might consider getting one but won't ask you what brand it is - so they put their brand on it front and center.

Cellphones and smartphones were the same way for a very very long time - and in many ways still are. Notice the giant Apple on the back of your phone? Apple also broke that mold sort of, but not really. They just changed the brand to be the whole device. Through mountains of advertising across all media, they taught everyone to know that a rectangle with rounded corners and a circle at the bottom means iPhone. Thus, the whole front of the device was their brand.

latest

ScottHarrison89

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Love the idea of a smart lock and everything controlled from the Home app. Just a little concerned someone could shout "Hey Siri, unlock the front door" through the letterbox, and my HomePod picks it up.

c1phers

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Mid October... don't hold your breath folks, Yale is NOTORIOUS for missing delivery dates. They took over 2-3 years to come out with the Yale Linus, even when it did come out you couldn't get it for so long. The Assure SL was heavily delayed as well from their announcement date. This company must have grains of salt for days.

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Love the idea of a smart lock and everything controlled from the Home app. Just a little concerned someone could shout "Hey Siri, unlock the front door" through the letterbox, and my HomePod picks it up.

HomePods (and Apple TV) cannot unlock secure accessories. They can only lock them.

Reactions: Stryder541

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Still no double-cylinder deadbolt smartlocks on the market...

Seems a little dangerous to me to use double-cylinder deadbolts. Personally I think single cylinder deadbolts are a better solution.

As for smart locks like this, I'm always concerned about their security, how do I know they will remain secure and updated 5 years from now?

For me sometimes just keeping things like locks simple is the better solution. Just use some Grade 1 single cylinder deadbolts for all exterior doors.

h00pak

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Does "Existing Yale customers will be able to replace older deadbolt lock and keys with the smart keypads," mean, "existing Yale customers can buy a new lock?"

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Why are these things always ugly!? I don’t want to see the brand name on the device. This isn’t acceptable on regular handlesets so why is it on a smart lock?

I don't think our Kwikset Premis lock is ugly, the branding on it blends in with the lock. Ours is in the garage, the rest of the house has traditional locks.

Attachments

• Kwikset.jpg
    Kwikset.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 4,430
Reactions: QuarterSwede

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Does "Existing Yale customers will be able to replace older deadbolt lock and keys with the smart keypads," mean, "existing Yale customers can buy a new lock?"
If you have existing Yale smart door lock, they offer an upgrade kit for $129 that includes:
  • August smart module that replaces existing HomeKit module
  • August Connect Wi-Fi bridge (normally sells separately for $79)
  • DoorSense sensor that senses whether the door is opened or closed
I think $129 is a bit on the high side also. $99 introductory pricing would've been a nicer gesture. But I am glad they are offering an upgrade kit. Upgradable modular design was one of the reasons why I picked Yale's smart lock in the first place.
[doublepost=1537893071][/doublepost]
Just a little concerned someone could shout "Hey Siri, unlock the front door" through the letterbox, and my HomePod picks it up.
Siri does NOT let you unlock the door. It does let you lock the door, however.

Last edited:

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Seems a little dangerous to me to use double-cylinder deadbolts. Personally I think single cylinder deadbolts are a better solution.

As for smart locks like this, I'm always concerned about their security, how do I know they will remain secure and updated 5 years from now?

For me sometimes just keeping things like locks simple is the better solution. Just use some Grade 1 single cylinder deadbolts for all exterior doors.

I don’t lock the keyed inside deadbolt when home. If some breaks in through a window when I’m not at home they can’t leave through a door.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think it's pretty tasteful looking as far as door locks are concerned. I have it and it's not bad in person.

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Siri does NOT let you unlock the door. It does let you lock the door, however.

To be clear, Siri does lock doors on any devices.
But Siri does unlock doors on watches, IOS devices and on MacOS Mojave, that is, any device that requires to be unlocked prior to use.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
But Siri does unlock doors on watches, IOS devices and on MacOS Mojave, that is, any device that requires to be unlocked prior to use.
You can use the Home app to unlock doors. But Siri does not.

JBEXgno.jpg

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have the Yale SL with Z-Wave module and the keypad is very nice and easy to use. To only complaint is that if I have the door ajar/open and brush up against it then it sometimes locks the deadbolt - this is because to lock the door you cover entire area with hand.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Because that's how they spread brand awareness. If you have a Yale smartlock, most people coming to your house probably think its a cool product and might consider getting one but won't ask you what brand it is - so they put their brand on it front and center.

Cellphones and smartphones were the same way for a very very long time - and in many ways still are. Notice the giant Apple on the back of your phone? Apple also broke that mold sort of, but not really. They just changed the brand to be the whole device. Through mountains of advertising across all media, they taught everyone to know that a rectangle with rounded corners and a circle at the bottom means iPhone. Thus, the whole front of the device was their brand.

latest
And in the process they’ll lose customers who refuse to go that route. Drop the branding and then I’m interested.

However, I think a better argument would’ve been faucet manufacturers have stylish branding on their products. These smartlock companies just need more elegant branding.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And in the process they’ll lose customers who refuse to go that route. Drop the branding and then I’m interested.

However, I think a better argument would’ve been faucet manufacturers have stylish branding on their products. These smartlock companies just need more elegant branding.

I somewhat agree - I prefer a clean brand-free look very much.

But none if the new. Even outside of tech: Every car I have ever bought came with a sticker or decal on the back with the dealership's name - which I remove with GooGone as soon as I get home. I just got a fence for my yard, and the installer riveted on a small (2"x3") plate with his brand and phone number on the corner post. I'm going to leave that on so I remember who to call if it needs repair later, but it's clearly there so neighbors and others walking by know who installed the fence if they like it. Most of my homegoods have a logo on them: blender, tea kettle, toaster, etc.

Why would Yale drop their branding when brands are all over everywhere?

Reactions: 69Mustang

Stryder541

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
You can use the Home app to unlock doors. But Siri does not.

JBEXgno.jpg

I use my Apple Watch and iPhone to unlock my front door and open the garage door daily. I’m guessing you haven’t set a passcode on your phone or it’s older, without a T chip for security.

c1phers

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
I use my Apple Watch and iPhone to unlock my front door and open the garage door daily. I’m guessing you haven’t set a passcode on your phone or it’s older, without a T chip for security.

Yup, I can unlock my front door with my watch AND my phone via Siri, IF I have unlocked the phone with Touch ID or Face ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.