Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Reports are already surfacing of a classic annual tradition in iPhone land - the dumping of yellow tinted reject screens on unsuspecting consumers.

This happens literally every year, since the iPhone 3G. Every. Year. without fail. Same tint. Same excuses from Apple apologists.

The fact is, not all iPhone 12 screens will be the same tint. Some will be more yellow/worse than others.

Weather or not you believe, as I do, that Apple intentionally relaxes tolerances to maximize yield for launch, here is what you can do:

The Test

The test is to open the Settings screen, with True Tone off, and dark mode off, 75% brightness. Compare to another phone on exact same settings. Which one is more yellow?

What to compare to

It probably already looks different than your old phone, which is why you are here. Something seems "off" about the new display. Compare to old phone. Yellow? Proceed to next step.

Compare to an Apple Display Phone

Use the same test criteria to compare to an Apple display phone. It either matches or it doesn't. If it doesn't, RETURN THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY.

Even the most blind Apple fanboi can admit - if it doesn't match the display phone, it must be defective.

Only you can stop Apple from dumping low grade panels on the masses.

Thank you.

EDIT TO ADD:

Examples of good, non tinted screens have been showing up in the thread. Here is one that was recently posted:
1606241495068.png

All of these are iPhone 12's, and one of them has a screen that is displaying content as it should. This is not an intentional warming, a move to 6500k white point, glue, or any other myth. This is a physical yellow, green, or pink tint layer that distorts all colors, washes out text, reduces contrast, and looks terrible.

Also, don't post the color filters hack, it doesn't actually work. It puts a layer of color between you and the screen, reducing brightness, and distorting other colors. You shouldn't have to solve for a yellow tint, so just take the phone back - reject it.

Finally, Apple isn't calibrating these screens, the suppliers are. Apple tells the suppliers the tolerance range it will accept. Those seem to be extra loose this year. So send a message that you want good QC by sending your phone back.

Last edited:

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Reports are already surfacing of a classic annual tradition in iPhone land - the dumping of yellow tinted reject screens on unsuspecting consumers.

This happens literally every year, since the iPhone 3G. Every. Year. without fail. Same tint. Same excuses from Apple apologists.

The fact is, not all iPhone 12 screens will be the same tint. Some will be more yellow/worse than others.

Weather or not you believe, as I do, that Apple intentionally relaxes tolerances to maximize yield for launch, here is what you can do:

The Test

The test is to open the Settings screen, with True Tone off, and dark mode off, 75% brightness. Compare to another phone on exact same settings. Which one is more yellow?

What to compare to

It probably already looks different than your old phone, which is why you are here. Something seems "off" about the new display. Compare to old phone. Yellow? Proceed to next step.

Use the same test criteria to compare to an Apple display phone. It either matches or it doesn't. If it doesn't, RETURN THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY.

Even the most blind Apple fanboi can admit - if it doesn't match the display phone, it must be defective.

The Kicker

On Launch day, some if not all Display phones will also be yellow. Invariably, within 4 days of launch, they will all be swapped for pristine, 100% non yellow phones. Swear to god as my witness. 100% chance they will be swapped.

If your yellow phone matches a display phone on day 1, wait a week. Then compare. Doesn't match? RETURN THE PHONE.

Thank you.

You know all of this as fact or it’s based on your own hype ?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Tinfoil hats on, lads.
Except if it did happen every year, with every year's screens being warmer than the last, what colour do you think they'd be by now after 12 iterations of this?
Weather or not you believe, as I do, that Apple intentionally relaxes tolerances to maximize yield for launch
What would be the point? They have a 14d no-questions-asked return window. People bothered by the display quality would just return the phones for an exchange, it would generate bad press, hassle for them taking all the returns, customer dissatisfaction etc. There is no upside for them if they do this.

BradWI

Suspended
Aug 29, 2011

On Launch day, some if not all Display phones will also be yellow.

So compare it to the display phones, even though you say some if not all of those display phones will also be yellow? LOL. Your vendetta against Apple is kind of disturbing, kiddo.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I am surprised how the screens are not a solid yellow by now given how every year the new phone has a warmer profile compared to the previous phone.

Before someone says I am an apologist, I have seen the yellower tint myself on my new iPhones, didn't get a replacement, next year comes, new iPhone is yellower compared to the current iPhone I had that was yellower in tint when new too......

Sure there are going to be defects, but "yellowgate" is overblown.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Seems to be getting some traction on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/jgkhid
edit: lol I’m half asleep someone already put link a few posts above

as long as colors pop and doesn’t look like someone peed on it , I’m sure I’ll deal

getting too old to play the swap game over and over again. And definitely not gonna put a $1100 hold on my card repeatedly to get a replacement in the mail

fingers crossed

also getting a subsidized one through the att trade in deal

Last edited:

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Seems to be getting some traction on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/jgkhid
as long as colors pop and doesn’t look like someone peed on it , I’m sure I’ll deal

getting too old to play the swap game over and over again. And definitely not gonna put a $1100 hold on my card repeatedly to get a replacement in the mail

fingers crossed

also getting a subsidized one through the att trade in deal

So you'd rather just spend $1100 on a sub par device instead?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So you'd rather just spend $1100 on a sub par device instead?

no as mentioned I’m getting mine subsidized

I’d prefer a pristine display but it’s probably gonna be a matter of a limit to my cycles

if it’s god awful I’ll probably have to swap but if it’s just kinda warm like most probably will be it’ll be ok most likely

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
[QUOTE="alFR, post: 29096403, member: 79850

Except if it did happen every year, with every year's screens being warmer than the last, what colour do you think they'd be by now after 12 iterations of this?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. If it was intentional, or if all phones had this, it’s be dark yellow by now.
This point is, some will have it and some won’t. So if it’s yellow take it back.

Reactions: motulist

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
If you ask me, the 12 screen looks much closer to D65 than the 11. Thus the 12 screen is much better.
Lol here we go.
Maybe the actual 12 screen temp is closer maybe you’re right. The thing is that some phones will be more like 5000 or 4500 K that’s not right is it? You see not every phone is the same temperature that’s the point. So compare to Apple display phones and if it’s not the same return it

Reactions: Jovijoker

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
So compare it to the display phones, even though you say some if not all of those display phones will also be yellow? LOL. Your vendetta against Apple is kind of disturbing, kiddo.

On launch day yes some of the display phones will also be yellow. But they will be swapped almost instantly. And the point is that Apple will not have one of these defective phones on display very long. What does that tell you.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017

The Test

What to compare to

The Kicker

On Launch day, some if not all Display phones will also be yellow. Invariably, within 4 days of launch, they will all be swapped for pristine, 100% non yellow phones. Swear to god as my witness. 100% chance they will be swapped.

If your yellow phone matches a display phone on day 1, wait a week. Then compare. Doesn't match? RETURN THE PHONE.

Thank you.
Total nonsense! Displays vary—sure! But saying that Apple sell phones with defective displays is total nonsense.

Stop making people exchange fully functional phones.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Total nonsense! Displays vary—sure! But saying that Apple sell phones with defective displays is total nonsense.

Stop making people exchange fully functional phones.

If it doesn’t match the display phone, which is what Apple is putting forth as a representation of what the phone should be like, then it’s defective right?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Lol here we go.
Maybe the actual 12 screen temp is closer maybe you’re right. The thing is that some phones will be more like 5000 or 4500 K that’s not right is it? You see not every phone is the same temperature that’s the point. So compare to Apple display phones and if it’s not the same return it
Most people have no clue what D65 white point looks like. If you own a tv, and dont have the color temperature set to Warm 2, then you are not use to correct white, and prefer the overly blue whites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.