Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hotknees

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Queenstown, New Zealand
PB2 seems to be super stable for me not that PB1 wasn't...

FCP X languished in PB, every action was met with the rainbow wheel of death and lag. Now it seems to be running a la Mavericks and slick.

Other than that, it's early hours, but everything seems snappier.

How are others getting on with it?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The update to DP2 went completely haywire on my 2013 iMac. Finder took almost five minutes to launch after login and most build-in apps were beachballing or failed to launch completely. Some preference panes like Desktop & Screen Saver couldn't load either.

Ended up downloading the full OS X Yosemite Public Beta 2 installer and ran it over my current installation. After that everything was fine. Performance-wise PB2 is amazing I agree.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
Its public, so I don't think you are under any NDA.

Yea, they changed the NDA agreements this year. I have read in places no screenshots, reviews, etc. You can talk about it all you want though. However, especially with a public beta, it is not really enforceable.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yea, they changed the NDA agreements this year. I have read in places no screenshots, reviews, etc. You can talk about it all you want though. However, especially with a public beta, it is not really enforceable.

Actually, the NDA states not only that you can't post screenshots & reviews, but also that you can only discuss it with other beta testers.

NDAs like this are completely enforceable, they have been challenged in court and stood up. But (as I suspect you meant to infer), few companies choose to enforce them.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Actually, the NDA states not only that you can't post screenshots & reviews, but also that you can only discuss it with other beta testers.

NDAs like this are completely enforceable, they have been challenged in court and stood up. But (as I suspect you meant to infer), few companies choose to enforce them.

Then just discuss it with non-beta testers? :p

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
So far I see it as faster than PB1. I did not have issues with PB1 except for Safari freezing and requiring a restart. So, I hope that is fixed with PB2.
Have any of you had the Safari problem with the new build?

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Have any of you had the Safari problem with the new build?

For me, Safari seems much faster in the new build! Overall, everything is working better and faster. Moving back and forth between pages feels really zippy.

I used to have graphical issues when dragging windows but I don't see those issues anymore.

I like that they changed the ugly green battery icon to something a little more subtle!

And they made the 'dark mode' menus a little more dark. Great!

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Public Beta 2 = Developer Preview 6

There is no difference.

What I find incredible, is that Apple STILL haven't fixed the Safari crash problem that they introduced in Safari 7.0.6 where 'Safari Web Content quit unexpectedly'

This problem has been ongoing since Mavericks 10.9.4 and is still present, as I type this, in 10.10 build 14A329f AKA DP6.

EVER SINCE Safari update 7.0.6, I have been getting errors that specifically name 'Safari Web Content'....

...I have to be honest, unless whatever-problem-this-is, is fixed when 10.10 is finally released, I will be advising ALL of my mac using friends, clients and associates, to stay the hell away from Apple, for the foreseeable future, because if they can't even fix a problem with a single application that they provide, how can they be trusted with an entire OS?

I have been an Apple enthusiast since the early 80s...I still have an Apple II - One of the machines that had all of Apple's senior staff signatures on the inside of the chassis, and I have bought EVERY model of Apple since then.

But, now? Now, I'm actually doubting buying an Apple...

...All because they can't even maintain a web browser properly - I shouldn't HAVE to use Firefox on my nMP or my rMB!!!

Since the combination of 10.9.4 and Safari 7.0.6, my macs have become a game show, with the user guessing which will crash and reboot first!

Spoons56

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
Using Yosemite Public Beta 2 and iOS 8 Beta 5 here. Phone calls and SMS are working on my Mac, but not app handoff. Is this feature not working for anyone, or am I doing something wrong?

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Not sure if it's Yosemite, but decryption when turning filevault off is now in it's second week for a 256 gb SSD on my mid 2011 MBA. I stated the decrytion on PB1. I updated to PB2 and the decryption is still happening.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have had nothing but crash problems with both Beta 1 and 2 in finder. It will crash so hard I can't even report it. Requires hard reset.:confused:

It's so bad I can't use it.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I've installed it too, 1.5gb for me. Some bugs that i've reported are fixed (mostly the ones with ui related). Seems better in general. Happy.

Spoons56

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
Enjoying PB2 overall. However, the new Notification Center setup is terrible. Having to click between Today and Notifications defeats the purpose of this feature in my opinion.
I'd much prefer if notifications appeared within Today or there was a swipe shortcut to switch between the two.

pitt1717

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
PB2 is sooooo good so far. No crashes, wifi (specifiaclly 5ghz N) works as it should. only thing left is handoff.
as stated phone calls work, airdrop works. But handoff and instant hot spot isn't...

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Enjoying PB2 overall. However, the new Notification Center setup is terrible. Having to click between Today and Notifications defeats the purpose of this feature in my opinion.
I'd much prefer if notifications appeared within Today or there was a swipe shortcut to switch between the two.

I would like to see a swipe from left to right for widgets and a swipe from right to left for notifications

Last edited:

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Notification center really gets my fans revving on my 2011 MBA...I don't recall this happening with PB1

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Public Beta 2 = Developer Preview 6

There is no difference.

Yes there is.

So do you think when DP7 is released that it will show up in the mac app store as an "update" to PB2 the same way as for DP6?

I bet it won't!

I am rather bemused by people talking about DP5 and DP6 as an "update" to PB1. They are NOT updates to PB1. And DP7 will NOT be an "update" to PB2.

Those "updating" PB2 to DP7 will be misusing these builds and apple will not act on any bug reports sent from such installations because such a "bug" may well have been caused by such mixing of public betas and developer previews.

Developers can run the public betas and developer previews on completely separate installations, such as on 2 different partitions or virtual machines if they want to. But they should only be updated with correct updates pertaining to the program from whence they came.

So no.

PB2 is NOT the same as DP6.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana

Yes that is actually what I meant. My English skills in the early morning is lacking. LOL :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.