Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube Music has launched a new automated playlist called "Discover Mix" to help subscribers to the streaming service find new songs and artists that match their taste.

discover-mix-youtube-music.jpg
Image via 9to5Google

Similar to Spotify's popular "Discover Weekly," Google's new playlist features 49 songs consisting of music that's "picked for you," according to your listening history, and updated every Wednesday.

The playlist can be found in the YouTube Music app, under a recently added "Mixed for you" shelf that also includes the "New Release Mix" and "Liked Songs" playlists. Like those lists, it can be saved to your library for quick access and supports offline playback.

Initial comments on Reddit suggest the Discover Mix includes undiscovered tracks from artists that users are already familiar with, along with a few new artists, some from genres that haven't been explored before by the listener.

The new playlist follows last month's launch of Google's "New Release Mix" to YouTube Music, which features the "hottest 50 songs" and looks designed to compete with Spotify's "New Music Friday," and Apple Music's "New Music Daily" playlist, which also launched in August.

Discover Mix is currently rolling out, although like many of Google's new features, it may take some time to become widely available.

Customers who subscribe to Google Play Music are also automatically signed up to YouTube Music, which is expected to replace the former service soon. For a direct comparison between Apple Music and Google Play/YouTube Music, click here.

Article Link: YouTube Music Gains New Personalized 'Discover Mix' Playlist Updated Weekly

Last edited:

Riversen

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Waco, TX
Every time I open YouTube app it tries to shove their subscription down my throat. Not once but twice... three times in one sitting. #screwtube
I hate that, too, and wish they’d understand my 50-100 replies of ‘NO!’ Would actually get them to stop that.

Not only that they ask, but it is where they put that button to say no that is sneaky. I almost click on it because it is right where I’m about to click for my video that I am looking at or searching for.

Reactions: tonyr6

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Every time I open YouTube app it tries to shove their subscription down my throat. Not once but twice... three times in one sitting. #screwtube

yep and the price is redic, at least here. They want 17 Euro for Premium!

that’s more than what I pay for Spotify, Netflix and Hulu combined („family“ plans)

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
So I assume Youtube Music is no longer people playing back 64kbps uploads folk have made and listening to music videos? Perhaps the worst music listening facility on earth (but it was free so people used to listen to VIDEOS to get free music with the worst experience possible) it looks like they're actually hosting proper music files now?

toille4

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
So I assume Youtube Music is no longer people playing back 64kbps uploads folk have made and listening to music videos? Perhaps the worst music listening facility on earth (but it was free so people used to listen to VIDEOS to get free music with the worst experience possible) it looks like they're actually hosting proper music files now?
YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music :) it’s pretty much what Google Play Music is plus videos.

no_idea

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2018
YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music :) it’s pretty much what Google Play Music is plus videos.
I’ll believe it when I see it. Google has been saying YouTube music will replace google play music for over a year now...this project will probably end up like their 20 chat apps that go nowhere...they lack cohesive direction as an organization.

Reactions: tonyr6 and toille4

toille4

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I’ll believe it when I see it. Google has been saying YouTube music will replace google play music for over a year now...this project will probably end up like their 20 chat apps that go nowhere...they lack cohesive direction as an organization.
Yep I agree. I only use it because of YouTube Premium...used to be included in Google Music but now it’s extra $. Can’t go back to YouTube with ads after years without it.

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Apple, wake up please. A "Discovery Weekly" like playlist is sorely missed in Apple Music.
Apple Music has had this for a while. In the “for you” section is New Music mix, Chill mix and Friends mix. All updated about once per week.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Apple Music has had this for a while. In the “for you” section is New Music mix, Chill mix and Friends mix. All updated about once per week.
Not even close. These mixes are not personalized to your taste (or if they are, it doesn't work as intended). Spotify's "Discover Weekly" has an uncanny ability to find great new stuff after listening for a few weeks (and training it by skipping songs you don't like).

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
How many times does YouTube have to know I have zero interest in YouTube TV. Nope they still nag me to try it, no thanks I am happy with Philo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.