Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue with YouTube for a while, where the first time I put it in full screen it's fine, but then if I come out of full screen and back in, then I get a white border (a few cm wide) on the right and bottom edges of the screen. Toggling full screen a third time typically fixed it, so while it was an annoyance I didn't bother making a thread about it.

However, something has now changed (in the past day or so). When I go into full screen now, Safari's scroll bar still appears at the right-hand side of the screen (and if I use it, I can see the comments etc). Toggling in and out of full screen has no effect; I'm no longer seeing the plain white borders, but the scroll bar is refusing to go away, and it's distracting when watching predominantly-dark videos.

The same thing happens in the guest user account. I'm running Safari 12.0.2 on OS 10.13.6, with a GTX 960 if that matters. Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 8.22.01 PM.png

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
strange - same thing here on Safari Version 12.0.2 (14606.3.4) and mojave 10.14.2

oddly it does not happen with firefox 64.0.2

Last edited:

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
Same thing on Safari 11.1.2 (11605.3.8.1) and El Capitan 10.11.6, MacBook Air 2,1.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Right, looks like YouTube's broken something then. Why don't they test these things?! :mad:

Vinjo

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue with YouTube for a while, where the first time I put it in full screen it's fine, but then if I come out of full screen and back in, then I get a white border (a few cm wide) on the right and bottom edges of the screen. Toggling full screen a third time typically fixed it, so while it was an annoyance I didn't bother making a thread about it.

However, something has now changed (in the past day or so). When I go into full screen now, Safari's scroll bar still appears at the right-hand side of the screen (and if I use it, I can see the comments etc). Toggling in and out of full screen has no effect; I'm no longer seeing the plain white borders, but the scroll bar is refusing to go away, and it's distracting when watching predominantly-dark videos.

The same thing happens in the guest user account. I'm running Safari 12.0.2 on OS 10.13.6, with a GTX 960 if that matters. Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

View attachment 815808

Since today i got the same problem... i think YouTube messed something up. I already send them a report

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
On Safari you still have the scroll down to comments ability while in full screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.