Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Good review.

No one said it was a bad case. (i didnt anyways) Just that there was self promoting going on by people pretending to be customers. Buying knock off cases is tacky. The real vapor pros are nice as hell and don't degrade signal at all ;)

btw all clear tpu's will noticeably yellow over time. It depends on usage, but it will take probally a few weeks before you notice anything. You'll prolly get more mileage out of the colored ones.

And the REAL vapor cases also coast about 8X more than these cases. I do agree that these clear TPU cases will yellow over time.....but @ $12.99 a pop, it's somewhat irrelevant.

I also purchased a SMOKE case as well (delivered on Friday). I will post pictures for those wanting to see the color since Amazon does not currently have a picture of the smoke case.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Ok, ladies and gentlemen I'm here with your independent review... I own no stock in any company and could care less how well or not well this case sells. With that:

I am a sucker for clear iPhone cases. I love the look of the iPhone and wish it wasn't all glass so a case wouldn't be totally necessary. I have tried several and where I liked many including the Powersupport Air Jacket and the clear Incase Snap, the biggest beef I have with them is they all scratch badly within minutes.

Recently I have begun using the Incipio NGP smoke colored as it's the closest thing in TPU they offer that you can still see the Apple logo and backing. I like this case but don't love it. Kinda bulky but whatever. It's passable.

When reading this thread the other day I drank the Kool Aid and ordered knowing the Zum was on sale at Amazon for $12.99. I 'm already a Prime member so 2 day shipping was free. I figured it was worth a shot for the price. I received today and here are some initial impressions:

The case is definitely worth $12.99. Both the sleep and volume buttons work perfect. I believe someone used the word natural for the button response in an earlier post. That would be a perfect description. No problem with the buttons. The case is slim especially compared to the Incipio NGP. If I had a beef with it I would say the TPU isn't the best quality but again it's not bad. Just not great. The bottom front lip seems quite flimsy and could be a problem down the line, but now. I would say the backing isn't as crystal clear as hard plastic, maybe a slight frosting but for a TPU material, I like it since it's been a few hours and not one scratch. Hurray! I'm not a fan of the charge port flap and probably will cut it off but both the charge port flap and phone jack flap are secure when in.

Overall, again for $12.99, I'm not complaining. The case does look and feel good on my 4s. Hopefully this unbiased, independent review has helped.

Thanks! A very well written review.

----------

I will post pictures for those wanting to see the color since Amazon does not currently have a picture of the smoke case.

That's nice. BTW I had an smoke Switcheasy Vulcan for almost a year and never had any discoloring problem.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Ok, ladies and gentlemen I'm here with your independent review... I own no stock in any company and could care less how well or not well this case sells. With that:

I am a sucker for clear iPhone cases. I love the look of the iPhone and wish it wasn't all glass so a case wouldn't be totally necessary. I have tried several and where I liked many including the Powersupport Air Jacket and the clear Incase Snap, the biggest beef I have with them is they all scratch badly within minutes.

Recently I have begun using the Incipio NGP smoke colored as it's the closest thing in TPU they offer that you can still see the Apple logo and backing. I like this case but don't love it. Kinda bulky but whatever. It's passable.

When reading this thread the other day I drank the Kool Aid and ordered knowing the Zum was on sale at Amazon for $12.99. I 'm already a Prime member so 2 day shipping was free. I figured it was worth a shot for the price. I received today and here are some initial impressions:

The case is definitely worth $12.99. Both the sleep and volume buttons work perfect. I believe someone used the word natural for the button response in an earlier post. That would be a perfect description. No problem with the buttons. The case is slim especially compared to the Incipio NGP. If I had a beef with it I would say the TPU isn't the best quality but again it's not bad. Just not great. The bottom front lip seems quite flimsy and could be a problem down the line, but now. I would say the backing isn't as crystal clear as hard plastic, maybe a slight frosting but for a TPU material, I like it since it's been a few hours and not one scratch. Hurray! I'm not a fan of the charge port flap and probably will cut it off but both the charge port flap and phone jack flap are secure when in.

Overall, again for $12.99, I'm not complaining. The case does look and feel good on my 4s. Hopefully this unbiased, independent review has helped.

Good review, thanks for your insight.

Honestly, you really shouldn't have because the doubters posting in this thread don't deserve your great review or any review for that matter. I think they've seen enough pictures and read enough opinions to come to their own conclusion on whether or not this case would be suitable for them.

At this point, they should either spend the $12.99 and decide for THEMSELVES or completely move on from this case (and this thread for that matter) and look elsewhere - like those knock-off stupid-looking metallic cases that not only will degrade their signal but also not fit properly.

As for me I'm done with this nonsense and this thread. To the OP, thanks for pointing this case out to me. I ordered 6 total (for myself and others) and I don't regret it one bit - especially for that price.

How do people not deserve reviews? That's exactly who they are for, you are 100% incorrect. When bogus reviews are put into the thread it completely defeats the purpose of a review in the first place. If you are thinking of buying something you put far less weight into the company's review of their own product then you do consumer reviews. Threads on a forum are for this very thing, for people to share their experiences with a product to help the buyer make an informed decision. I do this whenever the information is available as I prefer to make an informed decision and would like to do so without any deceit from the seller. You see it on here all the time, the self promotion. I don't understand why a company doesn't come out and say "hey, look at my product and I stand beside it. Please try it out for yourself" instead of planting reviews. It happens a lot with kick starter projects. Is this the case in this thread? I don't know but it certainly appears that way.

That being said, in for pictures of the smoke case :D

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Good review, thanks for your insight.

How do people not deserve reviews? That's exactly who they are for, you are 100% incorrect. When bogus reviews are put into the thread it completely defeats the purpose of a review in the first place. If you are thinking of buying something you put far less weight into the company's review of their own product then you do consumer reviews. Threads on a forum are for this very thing, for people to share their experiences with a product to help the buyer make an informed decision. I do this whenever the information is available as I prefer to make an informed decision and would like to do so without any deceit from the seller. You see it on here all the time, the self promotion. I don't understand why a company doesn't come out and say "hey, look at my product and I stand beside it. Please try it out for yourself" instead of planting reviews. It happens a lot with kick starter projects. Is this the case in this thread? I don't know but it certainly appears that way.

That being said, in for pictures of the smoke case :D

Thats interesting... I dont see thats is a much difference between his review and the review at the beginning... I just posted the pictures out and say I like it and you said its bogus review and I am related to the company...

What is the reason behind this???

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
ONE MORE BIAS COMMENT HERE:

I just installed the screen protector which comes with the case... pretty good...

just take it as a self-promotion ...:D

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I received the the other cases I ordered. Below is the PINK on a white 4S (as detailed as possible).

Attachments

• Photo Feb 09, 8 34 05 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 09, 8 34 05 PM.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo Feb 09, 8 34 14 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 09, 8 34 14 PM.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Photo Feb 09, 8 34 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 09, 8 34 31 PM.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo Feb 09, 8 34 48 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 09, 8 34 48 PM.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Here is the SMOKE on the Black 4S.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 100
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 101
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 98
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 109

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
so are the flaps flimsy or not? Think they'll get loose over time and come out easily?

In my experience thus far, the flaps are a non-issue. Now this is only after 1 weeks use (and who knows how it holds up 3 weeks from now) but they don't seem "flimsy" to me at all.

For $13, this is a great case that doesn't under deliver. Personally I don't think they're worth their $30 suggested retail price but if you're looking for a thin TPU case with attached flaps to keep the dirt/dust out and to maintain the design of the iPhone, then I would definitely consider this case.

If you like to spend $85-$100 on a fancy metal bumper then obviously this would not be the case to get.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
In my experience thus far, the flaps are a non-issue. Now this is only after 1 weeks use (and who knows how it holds up 3 weeks from now) but they don't seem "flimsy" to me at all.

For $13, this is a great case that doesn't under deliver. Personally I don't think they're worth their $30 suggested retail price but if you're looking for a thin TPU case with attached flaps to keep the dirt/dust out and to maintain the design of the iPhone, then I would definitely consider this case.

If you like to spend $85-$100 on a fancy metal bumper then obviously this would not be the case to get.

The more important question is what screen protector are you rocking? That thing looks almost invisible on the phone.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010

I have a fancy 150 dollar case. I also have a 10 dollar otterbox knockoff. I like trying all types of cases especially cheapies. Too ba i cant get it in canada :(

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Power Support - Crystal.

Hands down the best screen protector for the iPhone!

I haven't tried the power support screen protectors. But the screen protectors that come with the Gelee case is very good too. Better than incipio and iskin protectors that come with the case.

Wsnook

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Bayou city

Hi, just want to see if you have further update on this case... sounds interesting to me. Plan to get a 4S this weekend and it looks like it fits the purpose. Someone said the screen protector is good... do you have a chance to test out?

Overall do you recommend this case??

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Hi, just want to see if you have further update on this case... sounds interesting to me. Plan to get a 4S this weekend and it looks like it fits the purpose. Someone said the screen protector is good... do you have a chance to test out?

Overall do you recommend this case??

I definitely recommend this case but that's a matter of my own preference and opinion. I've posted detailed pictures of the clear, the pink and the smoke on the 4S...so it should help you in terms of how it looks on the iPhone.

I put the screen protector that came with the case on my father's newly purchased 4S a couple of days ago and it came out looking great! Quality seems on par with the case itself.

tlbwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
No one has really answered the question of whether this phone has "lay it on the table" protection for the face.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whoa, I was going to order one to try it out and the price is now $25. No thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.