PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Mocks iPhone Fans in New Galaxy S II Ad

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Nov 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/23/samsung-mocks-iphone-fans-in-new-galaxy-s-ii-ad/)

Samsung has released a new commercial for its Galaxy S II smartphone, stepping up its direct assault on the iPhone by mocking dedicated iPhone fans who wait for hours in long lines for the launch of the latest model despite it looking identical to the previous one.

6h5JSojJN3Y
The ad plays on the excitement of iPhone fans waiting to get their hands on a new model who are then distracted by seeing passersby carrying the Samsung Galaxy S II. The iPhone fans' interest is gradually piqued, although some hold out in their apparently irrational dedication to the iPhone:iPhone fan: "I could never get a Samsung. I'm creative."

Friend: "Dude, you're a barista."The ad goes on to tout the Galaxy S II's large screen and 4G data capabilities, concluding with one of the Samsung users saying, "Yeah, it's a Galaxy S II. This phone...is amazing."

Article Link: Samsung Mocks iPhone Fans in New Galaxy S II Ad (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/23/samsung-mocks-iphone-fans-in-new-galaxy-s-ii-ad/)

scottdot
Nov 23, 2011, 09:09 AM
Way to convince Apple loyalists to try your products, Samsung, by insulting them. Sure...that'll work.

notjustjay
Nov 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
Way to convince Apple loyalists to try your products, Samsung, by insulting them. Sure...that'll work.

You mean like the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads?

DavidLeblond
Nov 23, 2011, 09:12 AM
Does Samsung even have any fans? Sure people will love the Samsung Galaxy S II until a week goes by and another company makes a slightly faster Android phone.

MasterHowl
Nov 23, 2011, 09:13 AM
lame

finkmacunix
It's harder to say "Samsung Galaxy S II" than it is to say "Apple iPhone 4S"…

Also, what is it with these names? HTC Amazing E45, Motorola SMRTPHN R31, Samsung Universe R IV, LG Awesome T345…

DavidLeblond

That made fun of PCs, not people who use PCs.

TheJing
Nov 23, 2011, 09:14 AM
I love Apple and their products. But that ad is hilarious and fanboys waiting in line are pathetic.

Wildog27

As Gruber pointed out at Daring Fireball, http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/11/23/samsung-galaxy-s-ad, the Mac vs. PC ads were able to mostly toe the line between making a buffoon out of PCs and not making a buffoon out of people who USE the PCs. Not always perfectly, but it was something they did pretty well overall.

satchow
Always funny when AndroidOS phones mock iPhone 4s battery life.

roocka
Nov 23, 2011, 09:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads were funny and honest portraying the PC as geeky, stuffy and using frustrating facts that were true while playing to Apple's strengths.

They were not insulting, mean spirited, etc. I hope Samsung sees that they are insulting the very customers they are targeting. This could backfire big time. It's a negative campaign.

Caliber26
Nov 23, 2011, 09:15 AM
Already being discussed HERE (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280579). Next time, search and merge. Thx.

alfiesred47
Nov 23, 2011, 09:16 AM
in that video there's a proper iPhone compared to a Samsung. Can they do that? Surely Apple would find some loophole about copyright or something and retaliate. But yeh I agree, they won't be winning any new customers with an offensive ad

scottdot
Nov 23, 2011, 09:17 AM

Bingo. There's the big difference.

toddybody
Nov 23, 2011, 09:18 AM
Sure, Im not gonna jump ship any time soon...but you cant deny that was hilarious. They totally captured the Apple fan cliches. I Loved it:D

huperniketes

The difference is, Apple's ads compared the devices themselves, not the owners.

Apple tried this tactic of insulting users of competing products with its Lemmings ad in the 80's too. It wasn't particularly well-received.

In Samsung's case, it sounds like they and their ad agency have decided that insulting both iPhone owners and Starbucks employees, neither of which are minorities in their respective markets, is a #winning strategy. They must be inhaling Charlie's fumes.

kbmb
I'm waiting for the extended edition of the ad....where after seeing the Galaxy S II, the people in line look again and the person on the bench has another new phone.

"Why another new phone?"

"Oh, because the Galaxy S II is already out of date...I need the latest! There's a new Android phone every day and a half.....IT'S GREAT!!!"

-Kevin

alexxxhp
Nov 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
this ad sucks, talks about battery life :confused:, android still trying to keep their phones on longer than 4 hours without the need to plug it in...:eek:

notjustjay

OK, how about "1984"?

Or "Lemmings"?

Stella
LOL thats funny.

Good angle on the whole "3.5G is really 4G" marketing crap.

4G is the *only* 4G, I wish carriers and manufacturers ( i.e., Apple ) would stop marketing 3.5G as if it were 4G.

AppleRealist
Nov 23, 2011, 09:20 AM
Do you honestly think they are going after the loyalists? They are going after the large number of iPhone owners whose heads aren't so far up their barista butts that they cannot see anything positive about a non-Apple product. I own an iPhone (and an iPod and an iMac) but would love a bigger screen and the Samsung delivers on that. It's a funny commercial. +1 to Samsung there.

hobo.hopkins
As others have said, I don't think this commercial would convince any Apple fan to "jump ship"; if anything it would solidify their like for Apple. I don't see this being a very effective advert.

arn

People also criticized Apple's Lemmings commercial similarly. Insulting the people they were trying to attract.

otq1BXoW0wo

notjustjay
Nov 23, 2011, 09:22 AM
What I find interesting is that even while lampooning them, Samsung is acknowledging in their own commercial the demand and desirability for Apple products. When have we ever seen line-ups outside Samsung retailers for their newest phone or tablet?

SvP
Nov 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
i thought the ad was very funny.

My refusal to consider samsung is more based on the lack of upgradeability in software and the lack of apps, the plasticky feel, the bad support and the nonexistent store experience (i like stores) including the bad sync options, and the utter lack of class that "samsjung" has. Ofcourse i invested a lot into apps games and stuff, with i'm not going to trade in also..

TheJing
As others have said, I don't think this commercial would convince any Apple fan to "jump ship"; if anything it would solidify their like for Apple. I don't see this being a very effective advert.

It's probably gonna strengthen their faith in Apple. If you tell a muslim Allah doesn't exist and some other God is better he's not gonna ask himself questions, he's just gonna believe even more in Allah.

BrettArchibald
What they didn't show at the end of the video was the iPhone users trying to work with the Samsung phone, and then giving the phones back after just 2 minutes saying, "nice-looking phone but the OS is ****"...

*LTD*
Mocking Apple at the height of their popularity?

Yeah, that always works.

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/51494-microsoft-employees-dance-at-mock-iphone-funeral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyr55HW0PrE

alexxxhp
Nov 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
What they didn't show at the end of the video was the iPhone users trying to work with the Samsung phone, and then giving the phones back after just 2 minutes saying, "nice-looking phone but the OS is ****"...

LOL this is the best comment I have seen here :D

satchow
Nov 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
LOL thats funny.

4G is the *only* 4G, I wish carriers and manufacturers ( i.e., Apple ) would stop marketing 3.5G as if it were 4G.

Apple has never called HSPA+ 4G. Either way, the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) recognizes HSPA+, Wimax and LTE to all be 4G.

johncrab
Nov 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, ridicule is a GREAT way to win converts.

aeaglex07
Nov 23, 2011, 09:33 AM

Also, what is it with these names? HTC Amazing E45, Motorola SMRTPHN R31, Samsung Universe R IV, LG Awesome T345…

LOL true.. like Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G LOL

Stella
Nov 23, 2011, 09:33 AM
the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) recognizes HSPA+, Wimax and LTE to all be 4G.

Fair enough...

Just found a link:
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 09:38 AM
Sure.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has great apps.
The iTunes integration is great.
The games on the platform are so much better.
The battery is so awesome.
Oh! the camera is so much better than the iPhone.
Samsung's customer service is so much better.
The apps are so productive and usable and absolutely don't look hideous.
Also, I can do so much on Android given I have widgets and miniUSB and whatnot.

/s

macslayer118
LOL thats funny.

You realize Apple specifically never called it 4G, right? They gave the speeds the phone can download at and are leaving it to the carriers to debate 4G.

darbus69
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

all the above, but especially "tempt through insult and degradation" I am certain to trade in my iCloud, iTunes Match, AppleTV, iPad, MacMini, iPhone ecosystem for Samsung, right...

*LTD*
Nov 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, ridicule is a GREAT way to win converts.

The problem is that trying to get past Apple's massive positive mindshare . . . really only shows that you're trying to get past Apple's massive positive mindshare.

Samsung is being too obvious. It's difficult not to be, at this point.

BC2009
Nov 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
LOL thats funny.

Except Apple is not the one marketing 3.5G as 4G -- that would be Samsung in this commercial where they show the white T-Mobile Galaxy S2 and say "why don't you just get a 4G phone". Apple called it what it is in the iPhone 4S presentation and even said "some manufacturers are calling this 4G, but let's look at just speed comparisons".

By the way, your "4G is the *only* 4G" comment is misinformed. WiMAX is called 4G though slower than LTE and about the same as AT&T/T-Mobile's supposed 4G. LTE technically is not even 4G according to the standards body. So please define what "4G" is to you. Are you touting LTE or are you touting WiMAX which is what the EVO 4G (the best selling Android phone) runs on. Either way, LTE eats your battery life these days -- most people who owns these phones turn off 4G most of the day so they can make it through the day. I'm not saying having the option of LTE is a bad thing, but a switch on & off experience is not something Apple will do.

From a "misleading" perspective the 4G comments are the worst. However, the blonde girl in line who mimics the Samsung toting girl is so funny that I am glad its in there.

kannesss
Nov 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
hahahaha I really just love how much they will push a product. I think we should insult the other buyers, because that will make them loyal for sure. lol

go samsung and your ****** ****** ****** android **** **** software:apple:

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
LOL thats funny.

Good grief. Living on planet Mars?

Apple has never marketed iPhone 4S as a 4G capable device although HSPA+ has now been sectioned as a 4G standard.

May be you just hate Apple or are simply dumbfounded by not recognising the fact that most carriers and manufacturers are just using their advandantages here. Manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Motorola are all calling 3.5-3.9G speeds as 4G speeds.

Again, real 4G = 1Gbps where LTE and similar are ~ 330Mbps. LTEAdvanced which is going to take more than 5 hours to develop and be actually usable is the actual 4G speed.

So get off the glasses, and see the real thing out there. Apple is not the one who's using these terms. On the other hand, Samsung, Motorola, HTC are the ones using these terms to fool people. Oh yes, I would love to see how you respond her.

Maybe, all your hate is towards Apple after all.

JRoDDz
Nov 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
So when my Samsung phone doesn't work anymore where do I take it, the "Samsung Store"? :rolleyes: Is that located in Korea?

Stella
Nov 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
You realize Apple specifically never called it 4G, right? They gave the speeds the phone can download at and are leaving it to the carriers to debate 4G.

From the iPhone 4S, they were comparing the speeds.. . '4G' ( not HSPA+ ) networks, when mature, will blow away HSPA+ speeds, but thats not now, but in a few years time.

Maybe, all your hate is towards Apple after all.

Why would I hate Apple when I have half a dozen Apple products, and enjoy using them?

ThunderSkunk
Nov 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
Lame moderator edit.

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
From the iPhone 4S, they were comparing the speeds.. . '4G' ( not HSPA+ ) networks, when mature, will blow away HSPA+ speeds, but thats not now, but in a few years time.

You really don't understand what you're talking about.

samcraig
Nov 23, 2011, 09:48 AM
So when my Samsung phone doesn't work anymore where do I take it, the "Samsung Store"? :rolleyes: Is that located in Korea?

Where you bought it? How many products do you own in your home from companies that don't have their own stores.

Hardly an "argument"

kirky29
Nov 23, 2011, 09:48 AM
It actually made me laugh a little :)

JRoDDz
Nov 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
Where you bought it? How many products do you own in your home from companies that don't have their own stores.

Hardly an "argument"

LOL and AT&T will give me a swift, "call samsung customer support" the door is that aways.

likemyorbs
The samsung people sound like my sister who is an android fangirl who works at verizon.
"omgz the screen is so much bigger and it has 4G which is unavailable in most of the country!"

When i play with her phone, the screen feels so plasticky, my finger doesn't glide across it like it does on an iphone and it skips. The phone itself is made of plastic as well, my iphone is still more aesthetically pleasing without a case. But looks are just a small part of it, it still has android. Lately her phone has developed a nasty habit of hanging up her calls when it feels like it (not dropped calls, the phone software actually just ends them), and there is a bug in her built in alarm clock app that won't allow her to snooze anymore, even though it used to. I'll stick to my "tiny" screen and iOS 5 until next year. Thanks.

Not to mention, android can't airplay to my apple tv, which i use EVERY DAY, nor can it function as a remote control. No sale for me. It has a bigger screen, but at what cost? I'm not willing to sacrifice overall functionality for a couple of features that we'll see on the next iphone anyway.

Joshwawilson
I love Apple and their products. But that ad is hilarious and fanboys waiting in line are pathetic.

I thought it was funny too, but I've waited in line twice for for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s so don't diss that!

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 09:51 AM
Why would I hate Apple when I have half a dozen Apple products, and enjoy using them?

Right. Totally not looks like that from the entire post history.

Joshwawilson
Nov 23, 2011, 09:53 AM
I agree with all that completely! I love the apple ecosystem I've built up in my home:P

iMac...airport extreme...apple tvs on both tvs...my iPad and iPhone...and now the rest of my family is going to get an iPhone when they can! The samsung people sound like my sister who is an android fangirl who works at verizon.
"omgz the screen is so much bigger and it has 4G which is unavailable in most of the country!"

When i play with her phone, the screen feels so plasticky, my finger doesn't glide across it like it does on an iphone and it skips. The phone itself is made of plastic as well, my iphone is still more aesthetically pleasing without a case. But looks are just a small part of it, it still has android. Lately her phone has developed a nasty habit of hanging up her calls when it feels like it (not dropped calls, the phone software actually just ends them), and there is a bug in her built in alarm clock app that won't allow her to snooze anymore, even though it used to. I'll stick to my "tiny" screen and iOS 5 until next year. Thanks.

Not to mention, android can't airplay to my apple tv, which i use EVERY DAY, nor can it function as a remote control. No sale for me. It has a bigger screen, but at what cost? I'm not willing to sacrifice overall functionality for a couple of features that we'll see on the next iphone anyway.

satchow
Does Samsung even have any fans? Sure people will love the Samsung Galaxy S II until a week goes by and another company makes a slightly faster Android phone.

Hah exactly. I can't wait for the HTC Andromeda Interrogate Pisces III 4G comes out next month! Heard it'll sport a 15" screen, Superduper Amoled++ 640x480 screen, Acura Integra octacore processor and 7 minutes of battery life.

morespce54
Am I getting crazy or they get the "aurora-like" background on the Samsung? (at the 40 sec mark) :confused:Too funny... :D

dethmaShine
The samsung people sound like my sister who is an android fangirl who works at verizon.

Android cannot do 1/10th of things I can actually do or do on my iPhone. All you have is to play with widgets and some more control over the preferences and the looks of the system. That's about it. Period.

hot spare
Nov 23, 2011, 09:54 AM

duh!

Nothing is easier compared to GS2 or SGS2. Don't tell me nobody uses that.

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
duh!

i4S?

You use SGS2 in conversation to refer to Samsung Galaxy S2?

applesith
Nov 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
the SHADE!

hot spare
Nov 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
i4S?

GS2 is a popular acronym, you can't deny that.

Repeat i4s and GS2 a few times. Tell me which one is easier on the tongue.

centauratlas
Nov 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
True. And Jobs and Sculley didn't like it, but the ad agency had done the 1984 ad and threatened to quit if they didn't run it :-) (From the new bio)

People also criticized Apple's Lemmings commercial similarly. Insulting the people they were trying to attract.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=otq1BXoW0wo)

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 10:03 AM

http://forums.megadeth.com/images/smilies/bow.gif

finkmacunix
Nov 23, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hah exactly. I can't wait for the HTC Andromeda Interrogate Pisces III 4G comes out next month! Heard it'll sport a 15" screen, Superduper Amoled++ 640x480 screen, Acura Integra octacore processor and 7 minutes of battery life.

640x480 :rolleyes:

But really, that is what they promote…

duh!

If someone used one of those terms, I'd think they where talking about some kind of Apple IIGS…

loosegee
Nov 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
When did you last see a line for a new Samsung product? Making fun of people because they want a different product more than yours and are willing to queue up for it. Interesting strategy.lol

hot spare
Nov 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
If someone used one of those terms, I'd think they where talking about some kind of Apple IIGS…

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SGS2

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i4s

G5isAlive
Nov 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
What I find interesting is that even while lampooning them, Samsung is acknowledging in their own commercial the demand and desirability for Apple products. When have we ever seen line-ups outside Samsung retailers for their newest phone or tablet?

That was my thought too... sure you don't have to wait in line for a samsung because they just arent in demand. so why do I want one? Slightly larger screen doesn't convince me to leave behind what I know works great. For those that it does.. enjoy :)

teknikal90
Nov 23, 2011, 10:10 AM

Haha gold

Rychy
Nov 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
I thought it was funny as an Apple fan ... got to be able to laugh at yourself. :)

prowlmedia
The Galaxy s2 IS amazing....

Shame you have to run android. Which is 'orrible and rarely works the way you want it to.

Roy G Biv
Great ad! I thought this was clever and well done, and I'm not so insecure that I feel offended either. Really, guys, do we need to critique the ad like it's a political message?

teknikal90
Nov 23, 2011, 10:14 AM

Meh. It doesn't matter that they're insulting the fanboys...insulted or not, fanboys will always buy the products of what they're a fanboy too. That's why they're fanboys.
The point of the ad is to appeal to the general population to tell them not to get the new iPhone and be a silly fanboy themselves. And I think that ad is pretty spot on.
Btw: I have an iPhone. Won't switch.

tann
Nov 23, 2011, 10:16 AM
Sure I immediately hate it 'cos it's anti Apple but dammnnn that's a well made advert!!

I did laugh a bit!

Leipold
Funny ad.

Why did this guy post this?Already being discussed HERE (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280579). Next time search and merge. Thx.

nick_elt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

i4S?

Who the **** knows what a gs2 is?

technocoy
Nov 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
Well, let me start by saying, comparing Apple's follies of years ago in advertising with modern agency work is moot. We are leagues beyond in demographic research, etc and on top of that Apple obviously learned their lesson.

Second, it's all about nuance. These ads very blatantly target the individual user of Apple products. The Mac VS PC ads dodged this bullet by making it lighthearted and highlighting the difference between the PC and Mac themselves, and turning THEM into characters. I would even say that the lemmings ad was MUCH more ambiguous in it's statement.

Either way, it's rarely a good idea to target a demographic for ridicule. You have to work magic to have it pull off well.

It also comes off as though Samsung is jealous that Apple creates an experience with their products that they can't match. Painting their own customers as aloof and disinterested in general. I really enjoy my technological gadgets. I like to let others know how much I like them and I do that for any product that inspires me. What Apple did was create a perfect storm of product loyalty among people that typically evangelize and may be the connectors among their peers. It's brilliant.

Other manufacturers toss their products out like they are making pancakes. There is no investment even though you are still paying hundreds of dollars per phone. It's not something I take lightly when I buy a product that costs hundreds of dollars. If something new comes out every two months it psychologically makes me feel I've already been forgotten about as soon as they have my money.

Obviously this approach doesn't work for everyone, but that's the point. I don't think Apple cares if they get everyone, really. They are doing pretty amazing with their "high end" approach. I honestly would never want them to dilute their line with "entry level" product anyway. I like that now, when I buy an Apple product, typically I'm getting one of the highest quality products money can buy when factoring in support, ecosystem, materials, fit and finish, iOS/hardware synergy and customer satisfaction. When you start to muddy those waters you leave people guessing as to what they are getting with any particular product, I don't want to do that. It's and experience that is rarely reproduced. I experienced it with Doc Marten's in the 90s, Honda throughout my life and IBM thinkPad. I've seen it with Oakley sunglasses, Diesel watches and cross pens.

Always exceptions to the rule of course, but this is their general approach.

flash84x
Nov 23, 2011, 10:23 AM

Yes, nice way to admit that your customers will never be as loyal or excited about a product launch.

pacmacman

The ads you're referring to we're making fun of the *platform*. This is making fun of actual users. The strategy here is bizarre. It's a commercial designed to appeal to people who already would be interested in th S2.

rmwebs
Haha very steriotypical, but true on so many levels. You can almost see the arrogance of some of them.

Look, I'm an Apple fan as much as....maybe not the next guy because it might be LTD but you get the point.

People bitch and moan that Samsung are copying Apple. That advert just proved them wrong. A very creative ad, highlighting what Samsung have done, that apple have not.

A good quality, funny advert. If you cant take people pointing out an Apple fan stereotype, you've got problems.

lesismoor
Here's an interesting link showing the phones Apple makes vs. the ones Samsung makes: LINK (http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2011/11/16/coffee-time-market-share-vs-profit.html)

Good luck finding the perfect phone just for you. :eek:

prowlmedia
Nov 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
When did you last see a line for a new Samsung product? Making fun of people because they want a different product more than yours and are willing to queue up for it. Interesting strategy.lol

Agree... I did have to queue up the other day for a samsung product. A BD-D7000 Bluray player. Lovely looking bit of kit. Shame it was to take it back for the 3rd and last time cos they all break. For the most part samsung = nice design but actually pretty cheap components.

The counter cool thing in the advert reminds me of this new UK advert with Darth vader for PCWorld and Currys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOpxM0T5nBw

All it says to me... is that PC World is evil. Their staff work under the fear of Death.

rmwebs
Nov 23, 2011, 10:26 AM
Android cannot do 1/10th of things I can actually do or do on my iPhone. All you have is to play with widgets and some more control over the preferences and the looks of the system. That's about it. Period.

Yeah, I forgot the iPhone allows you to download files, use flash, get rid of stock apps, use a different app store, get a refund if apps suck and customize the hell out of any part of the UI....oh....wait a second.

Get over yourself. Both platforms are decent, regardless of your narrow-minded views.

sillypooh
Nov 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
All the Samsung screens on the video are retouched with overlaid still images and videos that make them look brighter and crisper. Shameful.

KALLT
Nov 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
They once again mention the larger screen of the GS II as an asset and argument against the iPhone. Since when are larger screens better than smaller ones? I remember when people complained about the size of modern smartphones compared to their regular mobile phones. Nowadays it seems that larger is the new ‘better’. For me, the size of the iPhone is fine as it is. I hope Apple does not follow this trend, or at least continues to offer the ‘small’ version.

bEEarCUB
Nov 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Those characters represented the products, not the consumers.

gibbz
Nov 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well, let me start by saying, comparing Apple's follies of years ago in advertising with modern agency work is moot. We are leagues beyond in demographic research, etc and on top of that Apple obviously learned their lesson.

Second, it's all about nuance. These ads very blatantly target the individual user of Apple products. The Mac VS PC ads dodged this bullet by making it lighthearted and highlighting the difference between the PC and Mac themselves, and turning THEM into characters. I would even say that the lemmings ad was MUCH more ambiguous in it's statement. <more great points>

Agreed 100%. The ad is pretty stupid unless you just like making fun of people who wait in line. They overtly attack the very customers that they want to switch to a Samsung phone. In doing so, they don't say anything about their own phone and why it is a viable alternative to the iPhone 4S other than using cheap speeds and feeds marketing, namely "big screen" and "4G". The phone may be good, but the ad didn't do anything to tell me how other than I am an idiot of using the 4S.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Those characters represented the products, not the consumers.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Man9z0r
Nov 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
I think most of you are missing the point of the commercial. I think Samsung know they are not going to convert a fanboy that is waiting in line but the person who is looking at the line wondering why you are there might be easily deterred to buy a different device. I think it is a very funny commercial! :D

----------

They once again mention the larger screen of the GS II as an asset and argument against the iPhone. Since when are larger screens better than smaller ones? I remember when people complained about the size of modern smartphones compared to their regular mobile phones. Nowadays it seems that larger is the new ‘better’. For me, the size of the iPhone is fine as it is. I hope Apple does not follow this trend, or at least continues to offer the ‘small’ version.

Haha maybe you missed the whole iPhone 5 dream sheet where everyone wanted the iPhone to have a bigger screen!?!?

santi77
Nov 23, 2011, 10:33 AM

That was totally different, there was already a backlash in the ease of use of the Windows environment. The "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads were showing that there was something better out there. This commercial is just Mocking me for standing in line, while if that was me in the commercial, I would have felt sorry for the others who "settled" for a worse experience.

Glideslope
Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 AM

ROFLMAO

Samsung feeling the heat?

Going to be:

Android/Motorola
WIN7/8. Nokia, Samsung, HTC
iOS/Apple

kevinkt
Nov 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I forgot the iPhone allows you to download files, use flash, get rid of stock apps, use a different app store, get a refund if apps suck and customize the hell out of any part of the UI....oh....wait a second.

Get over yourself. Both platforms are decent, regardless of your narrow-minded views.

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!! A different app store!!! I gotta get on that!!!!!! Lame

pubwvj
Nov 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
It is a pity that Samsung's management is acting so childish. They should grow up and get on with business. Apple is a strategic business partner. Samsung is setting itself up to lose big when they could be a winner riding on Apple's coat tails.

jsmcc13
Nov 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
LOL thats funny.

Apple made it very clear in their keynote for the 4S that the new data speeds weren't actual 4G. They said that it was just much faster 3G.

Calebjones19
Nov 23, 2011, 10:41 AM

What's hilarious is that no one stands in line for any other phone than an iPhone... Including a brand like Samsung.

Hawkeye411
Nov 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Let's face it. Most people who actually line up for Apple products aren't going to switch over to Samsung any time soon (myself included). This commercial is geared towards others who are Android fans or are undecided.

They did a great job!

DavidLeblond
Nov 23, 2011, 10:46 AM

Use Flash? I think the new Samsung phone runs Google Ice Cream Sandwich, which doesn't support Flash. I think it eventually might but since Adobe dropped mobile flash support...

wordsmith27
Nov 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
funny commercial and very true... its not attacking all iphone users, its mocking the iphone snobs hence the i'm an artist dude... it seems iphone snobs are offended by it and taking it as an attack on apple whereas apple users and iphone users who aren't snobs view it as fun... the snobs ignore lemmings and 1984 and pretend apple would never ever ever mock anyone but others see it and laugh, apple is getting a taste of their own medicine and there is nothing wrong with that... it's all part of competition.

this commercial wasn't intended for the snobs it was intended for regular people who may happen to own iphones not die hard apple/iphone loyalists

i own an ipad and a mac mini but my phone is a droid 3 and i get 27 hours of use on a single charge reading around here some iphones need multiple charges a day...if i was an iphone user this ad would interest me to at least ask about a samsung device or an android device...especially if i had to charge my device multiple times a day...

----------

Use Flash? I think the new Samsung phone runs Google Ice Cream Sandwich, which doesn't support Flash. I think it eventually might but since Adobe dropped mobile flash support...

sg 2 runs flash the galaxy nexus right now doesn't but its been pushed back to a dec release so it may launch with it.

MaxReviewsTech
Nov 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Immature. At least in the "I'm a Mac" commercials, apple poked fun at PC's with real information. They didn't just say "Apple is better and...yup". Samsung sounds like the kid on the playground making fun of the kid with the cool lunchbox because he is jealous.

nickvisic
Nov 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
Sure, Im not gonna jump ship any time soon...but you cant deny that was hilarious. They totally captured the Apple fan cliches. I Loved it:D

Yeah, I'm not buying one because I'm creative. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAA!,!!
What an awesome "truth" put so funny.

iphoneg33k
Nov 23, 2011, 11:02 AM
I use to hate apple but once I got my phone I became an apple follower. I would not jump ship any time... Love the blond woman and her little smart mouth..heheheh "why don't you get 4g phone" that was funny....

Like other post the OS will slow down and suck donky butt.... Sticking with Iphone

Chato_1895
Nov 23, 2011, 11:03 AM

The iPhone desing is so sexy they put a case to cover it

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 11:03 AM

Sure, iPhone allows me to download files. There are download managers + iCab is a pretty popular web browser. Looks like you haven't used an iPhone. :)

Use flash. Still beating the dead horse?

You can delete stock apps without rooting? I don't know. HTC Desire had a short stay. Nexus S was without any crap.

use a different app store? Why?

get a refund if apps suck. Wonder why developers on Android are unsuccessful.

customize the hell out of any part of the UI? Sure, exactly what I said. Looks. That's really what Android fans boost about. To be honest, I wish I could customise some of my iPhone things but for the most part, they are well customised already.

How do you customise notifications on Android or change accessibility settings?

Get over yourself. Both platforms are alright but one is a gazillion times more useful and usable whereas one is just more open and tinker-able. Just because I think one is more usable doesn't mean I'm narrow minded. Thanks to God, I have enough money to test all these great operating systems. This isn't without any bias. I have used android for months and the experience sucks.

But now that I'm censuring Android in the way which some people cannot digest, I am narrow minded. :)

AppleTools
Nov 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
Samsung wishes to have a line at their launch dates!!!

TheJing
Nov 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
I would get a Nokia Lumia 800 over both those phones.

kurosov
Nov 23, 2011, 11:09 AM

I agree, the iPhone screen size is perfect as is. I don't want a bigger screen on my phone.

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 11:11 AM
I agree, the iPhone screen size is perfect as is. I don't want a bigger screen on my phone.

I want a bigger screen on the next iPhone. Not saying that one of the two is better but I would lobe to have a bigger screen. Personal preference.

trulife
Nov 23, 2011, 11:14 AM

Exactly. Both the Lemmings ad and this ad from Samsung are horrible. They both deserve to be criticized.

patohi
Nov 23, 2011, 11:16 AM

SO Samsung made a fanboy ad..... I still feel bad for android users.... The fact that new phones come out so soon must make users feel like crap missing out on so many phones while the 2 years of the contract go by.... I know with my I phone I will miss out on just one phone.... The app store is still the great reason apple rocks! We get the appa first!! Devs actually make money! The android market is a mess and has been said time and time again.... When it comes time to sell my iPhone it will be worth way more then that gs2.....

StrudelTurnover
Nov 23, 2011, 11:20 AM

Proving Apple has always been a market innovator, never a duplicator. :D

Biscuit411
Nov 23, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My wife and I both love our iPhones, but this was funny. I'm guessing if you were insulted, then the ad hit a little too close to home. :-)

dBeats
Nov 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
Most of Apple's products have always been more than the sum of their parts. I stress MOST (ahem Newton! I'm looking at you!) but I think the iPhone is easily in that category.

I don't think Samsung is capable of understanding that concept, and neither are many others. That being said, the advert was pretty damn funny. There are iTards out there no doubt, but the FanDroids are equally 'tarded. Just like all offensive marketing, you pick an element of the population that makes it easy to make your statement. Throw in counter points and hope some element of your audience accepts your message.

It still doesn't take away the truth that there would be no galaxy phone without an iPhone (at least in the current form). And lips on a pig is still a pig.

Mad-B-One
Nov 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
Do companies not realize that mentioning the competitor's product is taking time away from mentioning yours? This reminds me of local car dealers of "Brand A" telling how cheap they sell a used car from "Brand B" - paying for air time selling a brand they do not contract for service - the business part they really make money in.

I agree with that this just shows one thing to me: iPhone is worth waiting for for a lot of people. Only one of 20 people would go ahead and buy a Samsung phone - that's why you don't have to wait. It's like with a good restaurant or doctor: If you have to wait forever to be seen, the service is usually exceptional. If you get it right away, you probably go to a fast-food place, a bad restaurant or a doctor people don't come back to.

davie18
Nov 23, 2011, 11:23 AM

But those ads insulted the products, not the people who used them...

ReanimationN
Nov 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
That was gold! What a ballsy, yet light-hearted and hilarious ad.

hugo7
Nov 23, 2011, 11:30 AM
Make no doubt about it, the Samsung galaxy S2 is a seriously good phone, but this advert is just so weak and not funny at all. It lacks any punch. If you're gonna attack iPhone users, you've gotta have punch (much like the HTC EVO vs iPhone 4 sketch).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

The "way we're wired" ad has a much better and tighter delivered message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjpNcgR2iLc

Madmic23
Nov 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
in that video there's a proper iPhone compared to a Samsung. Can they do that? Surely Apple would find some loophole about copyright or something and retaliate. But yeh I agree, they won't be winning any new customers with an offensive ad

Ever seen the Pepsi add where the Pepsi driver gets the Coke driver to have a Pepsi with him? The Coke logo is all over that ad. I'm pretty sure there's nothing a company can do about it.

nick_elt
Nov 23, 2011, 11:47 AM

Id never buy an android but based on the fact that the ad gets ppl talking and watched millions of times online aswell on tv it is a great strategy. But yeh pity the phone runs android

secondhandloser
Nov 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
I love my iPhone and still found the ad pretty funny...I think even most iPhone users get annoyed by some of the extremist contingency:p

c4s4cj
Nov 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
Come on!!! Everybody here is commenting/analyzing like it REALLY matters. Allow the Droids fragmented/disconnected world to spin. Remember, competition is good!

applemonkey
Nov 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
i know that indian guy personally. Kinda neat that i can say that.

nick_elt
Nov 23, 2011, 12:00 PM

i know that indian guy personally. Kinda neat that i can say that.

Do ppl still use "neat"?

Edit: no offence meant

2 Replies
Nov 23, 2011, 12:16 PM

*cough* Mac vs PC *cough*
...Wasn't there a saying about a pot and a kettle? :rolleyes: *emphatic eye roll*

You're assuming Android owners have the same "Ohhh shiny new model! Mine is now obsolete! I MUST upgrade!" mindset that many iPhone owners willingly have towards their iPhone.
That's just not the case.
And even if it were, it would be better to only have to hold out a week for better hardware, than at least a year between minor incremental upgrades (and still be behind the curve).

//FYI; I've been an iPhone owner since gen1. I'm just really getting sick of iFans irrational defense of anything/everything Apple. (As if if it's not fruity, it's not cool.)

marksman
Nov 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow! Samsung marketing is now as dumb as the Android trolls who plague this forum. Samsung continues to make themselves look bad in the consumer market place.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a new slogan for Samsung.

"Samsung: We make products nobody would ever wait for"

Doc750
Nov 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
everything in that commercial was one hundred percent accurate.

bigger screen ................... check
4 G ................................ check
Iphone looks exactly the same as old one ... check
Don't have to wait in line ... check

you really are a fanboy to stick with apple on this.

bushido
Nov 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
i love it cuz its true and i'm a iPhone user LOL

"ohoh blogs say the battery looks sketchy" nice pun rofl

i would never stand in line for ANYTHING, i'm way to impatient for that. i waited 20 minutes for my iPhone 4 on launch day and it already drove me crazy. i guess thats my german genes

mjtomlin
Nov 23, 2011, 12:28 PM

Not at all like those ads which made fun of PC's, not users. Never once did any of those ads allude to criticizing types of people.

MacYale
Nov 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think this article points out the flaws of the ad well…

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/samsung-launches-anti-apple-ad-heres-6-ways-that-it-fails-miserably-video-2011-11-22

but Android has become solid competition. I just wish they'd focus on why their phones are good, not why others are bad. (And I'm talking to Samsung AND Apple, and them all, really).

2 Replies
Nov 23, 2011, 12:33 PM
Not at all like those ads which made fun of PC's, not users. Never once did any of those ads allude to criticizing types of people.

The reason Apple fans get made fun of is because PC manufacturers don't make buying and using their product into a freak'in LIFESTYLE.
Apple made the bed. If you willingly bought into it, then you have to lie in it.
(Especially if you bought into it after wasting time waiting in a LONG line.)

Besides, the commercial is more of a commentary about idiots who stand in line thinking they MUST have the newest. That somehow the newest is the best, which is an immature and naive mindset.

WeegieMac
Nov 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again, and I'm not the only one to either say or think it.

Rival companies do this with Apple all the time, and I don't find it insulting or whatever, it simply proves to me that Samsung have an inferiority complex when it comes to Apple.

By "mocking" a rival product for the duration of the commercial, and failing to fully showcase the design and features of your own product, you show the customer that you're more afraid of Apple and envious of it's customer base, than you are confident in your own product.

And you Android fans can vote down all you like, because it's the truth.

paul4339
Nov 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
I thought most of the Galaxy S II models used HSPA+ ? Is that considered 4G?
(isn't that what the 4S uses too?)

WeegieMac
Nov 23, 2011, 12:43 PM

It's funny watching the Android fans have a go at Apple for the whole 4G thing.

Schiller never once used the term 4G when referring to the 4S's speed. He simply showed a chart of top Android phones that ARE marketed as 4G (as in, it's in their product title) and their speeds, alongside the speeds the 4S can reach.

He said that Apple would not label the 4S as a 4G device like other Android handsets, of comparable or lower speeds, do.

Icaras
Nov 23, 2011, 12:43 PM

Really? What are the Apple cliches?

"How will people know I upgraded if the design is the same?"

Like that? Really?

Sorry, but none of those people and dialogue reminded me of how Apple fans behave like. At least the many Apple folks I know in my life or even see in the Apple Store don't talk or behave like those phoney characters in the video.

bushido
Nov 23, 2011, 12:47 PM

i think Samsung just released / or is about to release a updated "LTE" version of the GS2 in asia and europe but yea the current one doesnt seem to be true "4G"

Like that? Really?

Sorry, but none of those people and dialogue reminded me of how Apple fans behave like. At least the many Apple folks I know in my life or even see in the Apple Store don't talk or behave like those phoney characters in the video.

those fanboys / idiots waiting in line clearly showed the posh behavior of many apple customers, u cant deny that.

WeegieMac
Nov 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
i think Samsung just released / or is about to release a updated "LTE" version of the GS2 in asia and europe but yea the current one doesnt seem to be true "4G"

those fanboys / idiots waiting in line clearly showed the posh behavior of many apple customers, u cant deny that.

Key word, "many" but not "all" nor even close to a majority.

Samsung have done two things here:

1. They've stereotyped as badly as a 15 year old trolling these very forums.

2. They've focused more on mocking Apple users, the people they clearly want to buy their phones instead of the iPhone, and in turn come across as looking more obsessed and envious of Apple and it's fanbase, rather than show us what their product actually DOES.

Aragrist
Nov 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
The reason I wont buy a Samsung phone is because I have one and it doesn't work at all. The touch display has a lot of issues making it useless, it's slow and has a lot of other little issues like turning on and off randomly in my pocket. It's only a year old. My iPod touch on the other hand lasted 3 years and never had a screen issue or a touch issue and even the newest apps still worked on it. Now that my touch is dead I miss it dearly and am now waiting for my contract to be up so I can get an iPhone.

bushido
Nov 23, 2011, 12:54 PM
Key word, "many" but not "all" nor even close to a majority.

Samsung have done two things here:

1. They've stereotyped as badly as a 15 year old trolling these very forums.

2. They've focused more on mocking Apple users, the people they clearly want to buy their phones instead of the iPhone, and in turn come across as looking more obsessed and envious of Apple and it's fanbase, rather than show us what their product actually DOES.

its just viral marketing, its not like they r gonna air an 1 minute commercial on tv. and it seems to be working for them, everyone was talking about it at uni today and all the blogs r talking about it too

Keebler
Nov 23, 2011, 12:55 PM
i'll give them credit for taking a direct shot at Apple, but really, a fail imho.

what I got out of it was:

"Hey, no one is buying our phone so no need to stand in line. We've got plenty in stock." :)

It was a great shot with the I'm creative - dude, you're a barista line. I thought that was classic.

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
i love it cuz its true and i'm a iPhone user LOL

True? Care to throw some light there?

Gasu E.
Nov 23, 2011, 01:01 PM

Apple loyalists are not the target. The goal is to attack iPhone popularity as irrational, in order to convince non-Apple owners not to be swayed by aforementioned popularity.

epocx
Nov 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
this ad is really funny, because it is not.

i wonder if they ever get, why apple is so successful...

1) bigger is not always better.

i looked at different mobile phones, but decided that a iphone is the perfect size. everything significantly bigger like the S II is just too big for the pocket and for one handed use (and i have big hands).

2) speed
my car can drive xxx miles/hour, but i'm stuck in a traffic jam.
why do you need 4g, when it so much depends on the signal, and 3g with great signal is pretty awesome anyways?! Next version of the iphone has it anyways. also, jpg and youtube videos get compressed over 3g(on most carriers in germany), i dont think that will change on 4g. so it sucks anyways.

so whats left are insults.
nice work samsung

i love my samsung 3d-tv by the way, but that might change when apple shows us how a REAL tv is supposed to look like.

SockRolid
Nov 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
Does Samsung even have any fans? [...]

That's why they poke fun at Apple fans who wait in line.
Because there are no lines for Samsung products. Ever.

phonebush
Nov 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
Lol this is hilarious. You all need to get over yourselves and take a joke

sneaky butcher
Nov 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
this ad is really funny, because it is not.

i wonder if they ever get, why apple is so successful...

1) bigger is not always better.

i looked at different mobile phones, but decided that a iphone is the perfect size. everything significantly bigger like the S II is just too big for the pocket and for one handed use (and i have big hands).

so you wont be getting the iphone 5 which supposedly comes with a bigger screen? sure.. :rolleyes:

Yamcha
Nov 23, 2011, 01:08 PM

Hilarious comment, Apple has been doing this for years with the I'm a Mac ads..

This is no different, If your offended then you know what PC users felt when Apple was airing those ads, even though those ads didn't have much truth to them some of the time..

Apart from that I honestly think the Samsung Galaxy S II is a great phone, I love the bigger screen, love the styling on it.. And Android 4.0 is awesome..

Not to say Apple isn't a good company or doesn't make good products, they have been leading the way for smartphones and tablets, however that doesn't mean iPhone or iPad is the only good ones out there..

marksman
Nov 23, 2011, 01:11 PM

Wow you get to choose from multiple crappy App stores.

No serious person would use an android handset. It simply offers a tiny fraction of the functionality of other platforms.

Icaras
Nov 23, 2011, 01:14 PM

The Samsung bearing "cool" people seemed more posh in the commercial than that "creative barista" guy. He looked more like a Star Wars nerd waiting in line.

WeegieMac
Nov 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
its just viral marketing, its not like they r gonna air an 1 minute commercial on tv. and it seems to be working for them, everyone was talking about it at uni today and all the blogs r talking about it too

Yeah, but they're saying "Look how Samsung is mocking Apple users"!

They're not saying, "Wow, the Galaxy S2 is one hell of a phone ... did you see the ad? See such-and-such a feature".

----------

Hilarious comment, Apple has been doing this for years with the I'm a Mac ads..

This is no different, If your offended then you know what PC users felt when Apple was airing those ads, even though those ads didn't have much truth to them some of the time..

If you bothered to read before typing, you'd see that this point has already been addressed.

Apple, in a light hearted manner, poked fun at PC's but NOT the PEOPLE who use them. Apple learned that lesson from the "Lemmings" ad of the past.

Massive difference.

Swift
Nov 23, 2011, 01:23 PM

PC was the funny one, and it was "the PC" that was spoofed, not any person. The difference? PC was laughed at as a platform.

This is like the tiredness of our politics: Apple people (or in politics, Conservatives or Liberals or whatever) are insane cultists. Gee, they must be [insert social prejudice here].

It's not about the platform. It's about insulting users. But that seems to work on the Android side. This sounds like the usual from the Android claque.

You like it, go ahead. What Android people see is they're "open," though they're customers of the biggest software financial play by a mega-company ever. Lots of people prefer Android, whatever that is apart from supporting Flash.

technocoy
Nov 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
funny commercial and very true... its not attacking all iphone users, its mocking the iphone snobs hence the i'm an artist dude... it seems iphone snobs are offended by it and taking it as an attack on apple whereas apple users and iphone users who aren't snobs view it as fun... the snobs ignore lemmings and 1984 and pretend apple would never ever ever mock anyone but others see it and laugh, apple is getting a taste of their own medicine and there is nothing wrong with that... it's all part of competition.

this commercial wasn't intended for the snobs it was intended for regular people who may happen to own iphones not die hard apple/iphone loyalists

i own an ipad and a mac mini but my phone is a droid 3 and i get 27 hours of use on a single charge reading around here some iphones need multiple charges a day...if i was an iphone user this ad would interest me to at least ask about a samsung device or an android device...especially if i had to charge my device multiple times a day...

----------

sg 2 runs flash the galaxy nexus right now doesn't but its been pushed back to a dec release so it may launch with it.

I don't think most people here are insulted or whining at all... I think most are trying to explain why the ad fails on it's point. Many of us are in advertising/design/marketing and are simply pulling it apart on it's merits.

This commercial is so easy of a shot it's nearly a failed SNL skit. It's that bad. It elicits a chuckle here and there, sure, but at the end of it I have no reason to buy a Samsung and I certainly have no reason to get get rid of my iPhone.

It's a dick measuring contest with all of these manufacturers and yet after years, and years, and years of people stating why, they STILL don't understand the Apple culture, and it drives them to make stupid commercials mocking it instead of learning from it. It's like the immature dude in biology who can't think of something intelligent to say so they just yell out "POOPY!".

Apple is ABOUT the experience, it's what they foster, it's about the ecosystem, etc.

No one is arguing whether the ad can make you laugh, they're saying how it doesn't work.

macnerd93
Nov 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
simple fact of the matter is Samsung could create the best ad in the world, the product still sucks. I dont even have a clue why they are even playing this cat and mouse game. Samsung you rule at making TV's i love them, you suck at making phones and laptops, the same with Philips they suck at making TV's but are excellent at radios and shavers, Sony well everything they make is just bland and boring. Apple everything they make turns to gold :) this ad isn't gonna convince me to switch from my 4S lol, i'd rather use a 2007 iPhone than the Samsung

WeegieMac
Nov 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
simple fact of the matter is Samsung could create the best ad in the world, the product still sucks. I dont even have a clue why they are even playing this cat and mouse game. Samsung you rule at making TV's i love them, you suck at making phones and laptops, the same with Philips they suck at making TV's but are excellent at radios and shavers, Sony well everything they make is just bland and boring. Apple everything they make turns to gold :) this ad isn't gonna convince me to switch from my 4S lol, i'd rather use a 2007 iPhone than the Samsung

Funnily enough, after owning three generations of Samsung LCD, I decided their latest generation models earlier this year were quite cheap and nasty in build and decided to go for a Bravia. The quality is night and day.

Yumunum
Nov 23, 2011, 01:35 PM
Stupid commercial, because it gave no basis as to why the phone's better than the iPhone. They only looked at it for a second and saw the big screen. The whole thing was flawed

ugahairydawgs
Nov 23, 2011, 01:38 PM
Pretty funny commercial, but until Samsung puts out a smartphone NOT running Android....I'll remain disinterested.

gohanmzt
Am I getting crazy or they get the "aurora-like" background on the Samsung? (at the 40 sec mark) :confused:Too funny... :D

I saw that too, not good IMO when you´re trying to differentiate your phone from the iphone.

NAG
PC was the funny one, and it was "the PC" that was spoofed, not any person. The difference? PC was laughed at as a platform.

This is like the tiredness of our politics: Apple people (or in politics, Conservatives or Liberals or whatever) are insane cultists. Gee, they must be [insert social prejudice here].

It's not about the platform. It's about insulting users. But that seems to work on the Android side. This sounds like the usual from the Android claque.

You like it, go ahead. What Android people see is they're "open," though they're customers of the biggest software financial play by a mega-company ever. Lots of people prefer Android, whatever that is apart from supporting Flash.

Not to mention the PC was actually kind of lovable in his bumbling failures. And the Mac wasn't lording over him but was kind of trying to help. Comparing these two ads is like comparing how a two year old would help someone vs an adult.

And yes, Lemmings was from Apple and they made a stupid mistake with that ad (1984 was more about how IBM was all controlling and they were trying to free people from them/not mocking PC users).

Characterizing the users for perceived failures of a platform or company is not a great way to advertise your alternative. Nothing to do with being offended.

rmwebs
Nov 23, 2011, 01:39 PM

Wow you get to choose from multiple crappy App stores.

No serious person would use an android handset. It simply offers a tiny fraction of the functionality of other platforms.

I'm stunned that people can be so....brainwashed.

Mr. Chewbacca
Nov 23, 2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone else notice that the screen at 0.40 has the OSX wallpaper.. The old one.. Why would you use a pic that basically says "last year".

So ya, funny add but without iOS the phone is like a cool looking muscle car with a very tiny engine.

Steve Mobs
Nov 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cheesy commercial but also funny at the same time. I believe the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads were much cheesier though.

paul4339
Nov 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think that the ad is trying to switch iPhone users to Galaxy. The iPhone has a 90%+ satisfaction rating and many iPhone users are still locked under contracts.

The ad is targeting new customers that going into the smartphone market that can be swayed.... It's saying 'don't wait in line & our product is better'. It's trying painting Apple users negatively so that potential new smartphone buyers don't go that route.

rejoen
Nov 23, 2011, 01:52 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/iboycotsamsung

:p

dethmaShine
I'm stunned that people can be so....brainwashed.

But I'm not stunned by the fact that you couldn't even reply with a concrete answer.

Happy widgets to you. :)

.Andy
I thought it was great. A beautiful parody. The barista line was hilarious :).

lil'mac
Apple loyalists are not the target. The goal is to attack iPhone popularity as irrational, in order to convince non-Apple owners not to be swayed by aforementioned popularity.

Yeah, I agree, i think it looks more like they're trying to solidify themselves as the leading apple-alternative for those already in the 'anti-apple' crowd, more so than trying to convert the 'loyalists'.

Mad-B-One
Nov 23, 2011, 01:53 PM

you really are a fanboy to stick with apple on this.

Except there are some problems with that:

bigger screen, yea but there are limits to what weight and bump I want to have in my pocket. I have a tablet for everything else.

4G - nope, read up on what 4G actually specifies as. That is a vague term and in reality, the network speeds are exactly the same on the max side provided by carriers.

Same design - yes and that is in the eye of the beholder if that is good or bad. It is still the slimmest.

Don't have to wait in line - true for both since you could preorder on at least 3 carrier pages in the US. By the way, my wife had to come back for her Android because they were out at the local store - so don't tell me that Androids are always available. After 2 months, she is switching to iPhone now. (No, it was not my influence. Her parents decided on buying out of contract and she remains on the family plan and she wants a handpiece not crashing once a week. :D)

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 01:56 PM

You never waited in a concert line? OR a movie line? OR a college line? OR any kind of a queue?

It's not about the line. It's about the priority because iPhones get sold out in just a day. It's just the first come first serve concept that applies to some great restaurants around the world or some burger stalls in roadside nooks.

Everyone is an idiot that waits in line for an iPhone? Right.

dokujaryu
Nov 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
This commercial doesn't really do anything but piss off Apple buyers. If Apple disappeared from the planet tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't buy anything that had a Samsung name on it.

The last phone I had that I really liked was a Sony/Ericsson. I'd probably buy something they made.

Juventino
Nov 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
"two people left"
that's probably as many iPhone users as samsung's gonna get ...

*LTD*
Nov 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think that the ad is trying to switch iPhone users to Galaxy. The iPhone has a 90%+ satisfaction rating and many iPhone users are still locked under contracts.

The ad is targeting new customers that going into the smartphone market that can be swayed.... It's saying 'don't wait in line & our product is better'. It's trying painting Apple users negatively so that potential new smartphone buyers don't go that route.

Best of luck to them. That strategy has worked great for the also-rans so far, right?

But of course, Siri comes with an Apple logo attached to it.

There's no un-ringing the Apple bell.

Drunken Master
Nov 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
By "mocking" a rival product for the duration of the commercial, and failing to fully showcase the design and features of your own product, you show the customer that you're more afraid of Apple and envious of it's customer base, than you are confident in your own product.

This is really becoming a trend in Android ads lately too.

Take the new commercial they have with the motorcycles, explosions and chases through San Francisco (get it?) for the Droid RAZR. They didn't show the phone for more than a second or so in the initial ad and even then it's obscured with blades and fancy gimmicks.

They don't trust the product to sell itself, instead they always resort to heavy CGI and action scenes with scantily clad female robots fighting über-orcs in the distant future. I mean, granted, that stuff is cool, but I fail to see what it has to do with a phone.

Comeagain?
Nov 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
Already being discussed HERE (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280579). Next time, search and merge. Thx.

You know this was posted by the Macrumors Bot right? This is the article discussion.

zaphon
Nov 23, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm waiting for the extended edition of the ad....where after seeing the Galaxy S II, the people in line look again and the person on the bench has another new phone.

"Why another new phone?"

"Oh, because the Galaxy S II is already out of date...I need the latest! There's a new Android phone every day and a half.....IT'S GREAT!!!"

-Kevin

Android phones don't really become obsolete any faster than iPhones. You have to buy the new iPhone each release to take advantage of the new features (Siri only on the 4s (for no real "technical" reason)). So while I know what you're saying, the same holds true for Apple.

the8thark
Nov 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
And you think MacRumors actually cares?

TonyC28
Nov 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
Pretty funny. I just hope they didn't spend too much on it. Yea they talk about the bigger screen and 4g, but they spend most of the time poking fun at Apple fans. Not sure what they hope to gain by that. But yea, still pretty funny.

farleysmaster
Nov 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
Why can't a barista be creative? Who's the real snob?

They're effectively saying, "You think you're creative but you're not. So buy a Samsung."

firesuite
Nov 23, 2011, 02:39 PM
I waited in line for the first iPhone in 2007, and that's it. By no means am I a fanboy. I'm still running an old 3GS on AT&T Pay as you go, for chrissakes.

Doesn't matter what anybody says, this ad is funny and super accurate. We all know somebody like those in line in this ad, they are EVERYwhere.

The only reason you'd think this isn't funny, is because for most of you, that somebody is you. And the truth hurts.

zeromeus
Nov 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
"Hey guys! Looky here! A Samjunk Galaxy SII that nobody wants to buy is now sitting on store shelves collecting dust. Instead of waiting in line for the world's hottest phone, why don't you give our Samjunk phone a try. It's available right now so you can get it in your hands this minute since no one's getting it."

Very smart move, Samsung! You just give the iPhone more attention while calling into attention your inability to sell your product.

I actually owned the Epic 4G (Their original Galaxy S phone) and I hated it. 8 months into my contract, I cancelled it to get an iPhone 4S. Never looked back!

So what about the battery life? It has about ONE day of normal usage with wifi, 4G, notifications, GPS, and anything that is not 3G or cellular turned off. With all that, I got 24 hours of battery life. I can't say that even allows me to use my phone normally.

On the other hand, right now, my iPhone 4S has ~1/4 battery left.. a little more at 27% to be exact. 3 days, 4 hours standby and 2 hours 41 minutes of usage since last full charge. Who's got a battery life problem? Oh yeah... the Samjunk, of course!

I'd say those who work for Samsung's publicity department has no experience whatsoever with their product. They must be using iPhones or windows phones to not know that android phones drain batteries like crazy. Maybe they weren't even using smartphones at all.. maybe they're using dumb phones that reflect their intelligence.

----------

Android phones don't really become obsolete any faster than iPhones. You have to buy the new iPhone each release to take advantage of the new features (Siri only on the 4s (for no real "technical" reason)). So while I know what you're saying, the same holds true for Apple.

Android phones are outdated the day they're released. iPhones are not outdated until another iPhone is released... which is an entire year. In the iPhone 4's case, it lasted 16 months! Even being outdated for over 2 years, the 3GS is still selling like hot cakes. You cannot say the same thing about an android phone. Look how quickly the android phones reach their EOL.

farleysmaster
Nov 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
I waited in line for the first iPhone in 2007, and that's it. By no means am I a fanboy. I'm still running an old 3GS on AT&T Pay as you go, for chrissakes.

Doesn't matter what anybody says, this ad is funny and super accurate. We all know somebody like those in line in this ad, they are EVERYwhere.

The only reason you'd think this isn't funny, is because for most of you, that somebody is you. And the truth hurts.

So if someone insulted someone you liked, and you didn't think it was funny, that would be because it's true?

I don't think it's funny, because it's weak.

parapup
Nov 23, 2011, 02:50 PM
Really? Who still stands in line for anything now a days - especially in 2011? We have pre-orders on the Internet now a days.

Oh and to make it more unreal they made an Indian guy stand in line for the ad - like that happens all time. I never saw any Indian guy in line for an iPhone!

Other than that the ad was ok - Samsung knows they can't convert over iPhone fans so they were just trying to make their Android user base feel better about themselves.

JPTech
Nov 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
I could definitely see how some people would get offended by this, but frankly I thought it was a funny (and pretty accurate) ad-especially the "I'm creative" line. Perfectly capturing I'm-too-good-for-that college hipsters.

qrayg
Nov 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
... I own an iPhone (and an iPod and an iMac) but would love a bigger screen and the Samsung delivers on that. It's a funny commercial. +1 to Samsung there.

Can you explain why you want a bigger screen? I see a lot of supposed Apple users that keep saying they want bigger screens, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want the apps to look stretched and less sharp from the required drop in DPI a bigger screen would introduce.

The only thing that a bigger screen on a pixel perfect UI would benefit is a slightly higher res for video playback. Do you watch that much video on your phone that you would be willing to sacrifice the entire UI experience just to have a bigger screen?

I'm not an Apple fanboy and I certainly do not think that Apple can do no wrong, but the 3.5" screen is absolutely perfect for me. I can use my phone with one hand, I can hold my phone without my palm interfering with multi-touch scenarios, and my phone fits very, very comfortably in my pocket. A bigger screen would negate all of that.

MCP-511
Nov 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
Does anyone ever wait in line for a Samsung product... perhaps yes, if its a line to return it.

Hastings101
Nov 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think it's meant to "steal" iPhone lovers from Apple, if anything it's aimed at that crowd that doesn't have any brand loyalty by pointing out that you don't want to become one of those iPhone users.

Nov 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'm not an Apple fanboy and I certainly do not think that Apple can do no wrong, but the 3.5" screen is absolutely perfect for me. I can use my phone with one hand, I can hold my phone without my palm interfering with multi-touch scenarios, and my phone fits very, very comfortably in my pocket. A bigger screen would negate all of that.

+1

Absolutely... Why the hell everybody do believe than having a bigger screen will be better for a phone. Pretty soon, we'll get 6 or 7" phone that even can't fit in our pocket. It's like praying for having a 27" laptop... it's just a complete non-sense.

The current 3.5" works just perfectly fine for me and is the right size & weight. A bigger screen would be acceptable only if the overall phone size would stay the same.

Rocko1
Nov 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
Android Smartphones- schleppily designed phones meant to temporarily tickle the technology g-spot of the average moron.

Pumped out at such a pace as to erase the memory of the previous tickles inadequacies.

andreiru
Nov 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ha! :)

DarwinOSX
Nov 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
Bzzt. The Mac vs PC ads focused on PC's and Macs not people. This ad specifically focuses on people not the phone.

It is a silly and ineffective ad except maybe for pre-pubescent teenage boys which is the Android fanboy demographic. Good luck with that since they don't buy their own phones. Daddy does from the latest 1 cent Amazon sale or BOGO offer.
Anyone in advertising will tell you that you don't mention the competitors product. It draws attention away from yours. It will also strike most adults as childish and immature and will make them look at the competitors product even if they didn't before.
Negative points for saying our hipsters are cooler than your hipsters which is one of the main points of the ad.
Also not smart pulling a Tiger (Apple) by the tail when you are in the process of losing huge amounts of money in sales from them and locked in lawsuits.
But what else are they going to say? How about we make cheap plasticky phones with a horrible interface that we think looks like the iPhone (Touchwiz), that you can probably never upgrade, comes with bloatware, very little support, and has terrible battery life, poor app selection and quality, and is a malware fest?
Good luck with that ad Samsung.

Reach
Nov 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Why can't a barista be creative? Who's the real snob?

They're effectively saying, "You think you're creative but you're not. So buy a Samsung."

That's what I was thinking. They should at least limit the groups of people they ridicule in each ad. :p

I used to like Samsung, but the last couple of months I have developed a strong distaste for them, and would not buy their TV's etc. That's not because I'm in love with Apple (because I'm not, but I do like many of their products), but because I really don't like how Samsung is conducting their business lately.

DarwinOSX
Nov 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
Our hipsters are better than your hipsters is not effective. Especially since few users of either are hipsters.

I don't think it's meant to "steal" iPhone lovers from Apple, if anything it's aimed at that crowd that doesn't have any brand loyalty by pointing out that you don't want to become one of those iPhone users.

----------

Are you referring to the Samsung or Apple hipsters in the ad?

I could definitely see how some people would get offended by this, but frankly I thought it was a funny (and pretty accurate) ad-especially the "I'm creative" line. Perfectly capturing I'm-too-good-for-that college hipsters.

----------

It could have been but the way it was was delivered was too programmed and automatic.

I thought it was great. A beautiful parody. The barista line was hilarious :).

----------

I would like 4G but certainly not at the expense of battery life. I can wait until next year when the chips that use half the power are out. 4G penetration is not great right now either. It may be in a lot of major cities but it doesn't saturate them. I actually want it more on an iPad than iPhone. Its amusing to have Android users say its not an issue as long as you put a thick extended battery pack on the phone, carry an extra battery, and turn off common services to get through the day.

It's funny watching the Android fans have a go at Apple for the whole 4G thing.

----------

I'm really impressed to know that you are above all that. You really are a special and unique person.

----------

Plus you get Mobile Flash!! Oh, wait...

Sure.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has great apps.
The iTunes integration is great.
The games on the platform are so much better.
The battery is so awesome.
Oh! the camera is so much better than the iPhone.
Samsung's customer service is so much better.
The apps are so productive and usable and absolutely don't look hideous.
Also, I can do so much on Android given I have widgets and miniUSB and whatnot.

/s

----------

Umm, no. There is nothing creative about our hipsters are better than your hipsters. Show the product. Compare them. Not just a quick look at a bigger screen.
This ad preaches to the Android fanboy choir. It is a really expensive way to annoy everyone else.
This ad implicitly does not show what Samsung has done.

People bitch and moan that Samsung are copying Apple. That advert just proved them wrong. A very creative ad, highlighting what Samsung have done, that apple have not.
A good quality, funny advert. If you cant take people pointing out an Apple fan stereotype, you've got problems.

rmwebs
Nov 23, 2011, 03:49 PM
But I'm not stunned by the fact that you couldn't even reply with a concrete answer.

A concrete answer to what exactly?! You never presented any questions.

WiiDSmoker
Nov 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
That's what I was thinking. They should at least limit the groups of people they ridicule in each ad. :p

I used to like Samsung, but the last couple of months I have developed a strong distaste for them, and would not buy their TV's etc. That's not because I'm in love with Apple, but because I really don't like how they're conducting their business lately.

Haha oh wow :rolleyes:

Reach
Nov 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
Haha oh wow :rolleyes:

Funny? :D It's more about how they try to use the law to win their battles, while borrowing heavily from the ones they attack. I know opinions are split on this, though, and I'm perfectly fine with people thinking Samsung never copies and is in the right in their litigation. Still, that doesn't change how I feel.

This ad is just silly (and I think counterproductive for them) - nothing serious.

Goldenbear
Nov 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Not really sure why people seem offended by the ad. I found it mildy amusing and got a chuckle from the barista and mocking blond portions.

The problem I see with the ad is that it seems to center almost entirely on the Samsung phone having a larger screen, yet you only see them side by side for less than 3 seconds. I had to rewind and freeze the video to see a good comparison (btw, the Samsung looks a LOT like the iPhone). So, the Sumsung is a superior phone solely because of a (slightly) larger screen (that you can't even see very well without freezing the video)? :roll eyes:

And don't even get me started on the asinine "It's 4G - It's not 4G" arguments that are going around. I care about actual, real-world speeds that I can get WHERE I LIVE AND TRAVEL, TODAY. Period. I don't give a cr@p if it's called 3G, 4G, or 100G. That kind of spec-waving, marketing BS is for the nerds who have nothing better to do with their lives.

Also, what's with all the hate aimed at people who wait in line for product launches? I've never done it and don't see myself ever doing it, but if people are excited about a product and want to wait in line, so what? it doesn't mean you're a better person for not waiting in line. Get over it. There are much more important things to get your panties in a bind about.

Caliber26
Nov 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
And you think MacRumors actually cares?

Actually, yeah, they do. Do you not read the forums? Anytime someone starts a new thread, they jump on you and quickly point out any other thread(s) already discussing the issue/topic and encourage you to not start duplicate threads.

I find it ironic that they go and post this a day later, when they could have easily taken the existing thread that already had 100+ replies and merged it with this thread, as they have done in the past with other stories.

rmwebs
Nov 23, 2011, 04:07 PM

A concrete answer to what exactly?! You never presented any questions.

Ulf1103
Nov 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
The iPhone 4s is just as 4G as the samsung... NOT
not truely, they only support the speed that nowadays are called 4G while there not :P

iPhone 4s, not my style, iPhone 5... Probably...

I hope that it will be supper nice, so I can upgrade my 3GS :P

danielchow
Nov 23, 2011, 04:15 PM

yup, it was an ill conceived marketing move—asinine. go ahead and taunt the product, but NEVER insult your potential future customers. i'd fire the agency or the person who thought up this marketing move.

whatever, the fact is that there are no lines for any of the other smartphones.

ReflexReact
Nov 23, 2011, 04:17 PM

Great advert!

Mad-B-One
Nov 23, 2011, 04:18 PM
Actually, yeah, they do. Do you not read the forums? Anytime someone starts a new thread, they jump on you and quickly point out any other thread(s) already discussing the issue/topic and encourage you to not start duplicate threads.

I find it ironic that they go and post this a day later, when they could have easily taken the existing thread that already had 100+ replies and merged it with this thread, as they have done in the past with other stories.

Sure it was not done on purpose. Nobody is perfect. Two threats, twice the fun ;)

alexxxhp
Nov 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
hah exactly. I can't wait for the htc andromeda interrogate pisces iii 4g comes out next month! Heard it'll sport a 15" screen, superduper amoled++ 640x480 screen, acura integra octacore processor and 7 minutes of battery life.

lol!!

Munkypoo7
Nov 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe if they made a product worth waiting for people would care more like they do for Apple? :rolleyes:

yeah
Nov 23, 2011, 04:41 PM
Can't wait for the new Samsung Galaxy 3011 to come out.

The specs:

10-core Intel Xeon E7 @ 3.6Ghz
128GB ram
2TB HDD
10G (100000000000000 MBPS)
And the best part: 10 seconds of battery :D
:rolleyes:

Zombie Acorn
Nov 23, 2011, 04:50 PM
As someone who recently switched from iPhone to android, there really isn't much difference aside from more customizing on the android side.

SockRolid
Nov 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
Apple has never called HSPA+ 4G. Either way, the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) recognizes HSPA+, Wimax and LTE to all be 4G.

I believe the ITU has stated that HSPA+, WiMax, and LTE are "4G technologies." That's a completely different thing than calling any of them "4G." It's like calling the wheel an "automotive technology." And the official technical definition of "4G" hasn't even been specified yet.

Here's a quote from an ITU press release:

[...] As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed. [...]

Full press release: http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

----------

[...] whatever, the fact is that there are no lines for any of the other smartphones.

BOOM. Nobody waits in line for any Android phone.

But really, pre-order your next iPhone, everybody. That includes all you future ex-Android iPhone owners out there.

You know who you are.

Sdreed91
Nov 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
LOL thats funny.

Apple said in there iPhone 4s keynote that they would not say the 4s supported 4g because it isnt really 4g they did say however that the speeds that are labled as 4g are capable on the iPhone. They were very clear that apple would not say its 4g because it isnt 4g

12dylan34
Nov 23, 2011, 05:07 PM

...Except the "4G" that you're referring to isn't actually 4G either. The official 4G spec is 100 Mb/s, which is a long way off.

wol
Nov 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
Samsung's phone looks clunky to me...

Tinmania
Nov 23, 2011, 05:15 PM
Funny thing is small in a mobile device IS a feature. Large? Not so much.

When I bought my latest Air I went with the 11". The couple hundred dollars for the 13" was not a factor. Indeed I prefer the 11" and would likely have bought it even if the 13" was cheaper. Why? Because size does matter.

That said I would not mind a slightly larger screen IF it is done in the same form-factor. Granted this would add yet another screen-size to the existing iOS arena but I believe they can add a few mm's on each side width-wise and perhaps a few centimeters in length (sliming down the home button and moving the ear piece higher).

OK back to size... To play devil's advocate one could argue when phones got really small we didn't just carry a phone: we had PDAs, pagers, digital cameras, GPS devices, etc. So perhaps nowadays one single device that does all of that can be allowed a little breathing room.

Michael

kockgunner
Nov 23, 2011, 05:16 PM

In the Steve Jobs bio, it said Apple really didn't like that ad, but the ad agency pushed it on them and said they knew what they were doing since the first, '1984' ad did ok.

So this ad is only for people who already hate Apple. I don't get why they didn't show any features of the phone then. I don't get the obsession with large screens. It seems like that is the main selling point. Sure, sometimes I want a larger screen for surfing the web, but it's so not worth the other things in Android that you have to put up with. It's like saying my dick is bigger than yours.

12dylan34
Nov 23, 2011, 05:16 PM

Hahaha...don't forget 3D, but 4D capable with a future software update. That's important too.

vampyren
Nov 23, 2011, 05:24 PM

Funny commercial actually.
I have them both (iPhone 4+ GSII) and yes the screen is damn nice but low res makes it less attractive. Also android sucks on so many thing but it seems to get better with ICS. Also i hate googles regulation. Still 9/10 apps can not be moved to SD due to lazy devs. Google should enforce devs to take advantage of new features.
iOS is for sure less flexible but atleast it's consistent.
Anyway each OS has good and bad side but for now I prefer iOS until I see ICS and high res screen from Samsung.

devilbond
Nov 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
Anyone that thinks this ad is offensive needs thicker skin.

lazyrighteye
Nov 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
That's actually a pretty funny spot. And not too far removed form the truth. Anyone thinking otherwise needs to check their ego. Lighten up. :)

We can all agree, the Apple loyalist (of which I have been one since 1991), are pretty easy targets. Anyone that stands in a line longer than 2 hours for a gadget (of which I have done several times)... let's just say Samsung's nailed it.

Personally, I'm glad there are non-iPhone options out there. Samsung's offering looks like a fine option that is of zero interest to me. Since 1991, I've thankfully matured and stopped trying to convert everyone and their mother to Apple products. I could care less what computer/OS/phone/tablet/can opener you chose. I've found what works for me...

tirk
Nov 23, 2011, 05:34 PM

If bigger is better, then why not carry a tablet?

...which is years away for most countries, let alone where most people want to use a phone. Great if you have it at home & work, but most don't.

Ah, so this is about impressing other people, not what YOU want out of your phone then?
Most people don't. Most people don't need to haunt rival phone forums though, come to think of it. There are some sad people.... :rolleyes:

fdmendez
Nov 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
The difference is, Apple's ads compared the devices themselves, not the owners.

Apple tried this tactic of insulting users of competing products with its Lemmings ad in the 80's too. It wasn't particularly well-received.

In Samsung's case, it sounds like they and their ad agency have decided that insulting both iPhone owners and Starbucks employees, neither of which are minorities in their respective markets, is a #winning strategy. They must be inhaling Charlie's fumes.

Also, the ad would've been much more effective if after the barista points out that he's creative, the guy w/ the GS2 shows how you can be creative on a GS2. But instead, basically, Samsung is saying, "You love to make art? Love playing around w/ music on-the-go? Have ideas that you need to get down wherever you are whenever you are? Well, suck a phat d!cccckkkk and shut up until you're Quentin Tarantino!!!!"

BTW, Quentin Tarantino was once a mere video tape rental store cashier. I guess Samsung would rather such people stay away from their own products.

ArcaneDevice
Nov 23, 2011, 05:51 PM

No it wouldn't. What it will do is make it easier to navigate Web pages, use the device as a GPS Nav, watch movies, fit more info on the screen, make the keyboard more effective, text easier to enter ...

I have an S2 and after I've been using that for a while and go back to my Touch the Touch screen looks ridiculously cramped and small.

When Apple release iPhone 5 and finally use all the fascia for the screen instead of the current design which wastes space with the bezel you will love it. It won't make any difference to your one handed operation or carrying it in your pocket. The form factor on the S2 is a negligible increase in size but by using the entire surface area for screen it looks a lot bigger.

The iPhone screen looks dated and not even the resolution bump can alleviate that. It looks dated because it is. It's the same screen size that's been there since the beginning while other manufacturers started using the available space more efficiently for the display years ago.

The iPhone needs a bigger screen and I guarantee anyone who says it doesn't will be pouring plaudits all over iPhone 5 when that uses one.

Tinmania
Nov 23, 2011, 05:52 PM
As someone who has been on line for an iPhone this ad is actually does hit home a little, though of course exaggerated. By the way I waited for iPhone 4 last year. I had it reserved at an Apple store while I was away on a business trip. I foolishly assumed having it reserved meant no line. Wrong!

Anyway by the time you are waiting on a line like that your decision to purchase has already been made. You are, all in, if you will. There is little that would change the mind of most people in the line. So that part of the ad, minus the obvious exaggeration, does hit home a little.

Michael

ArcaneDevice
Nov 23, 2011, 05:55 PM
I don't get the obsession with large screens. It seems like that is the main selling point. Sure, sometimes I want a larger screen for surfing the web, but it's so not worth the other things in Android that you have to put up with. It's like saying my dick is bigger than yours.

And yet your fine with Apple basing entire ads around the resolution of a screen? Apple coasted on that new feature for quite a while before Siri finally gave them something new to market.

philbyers
Nov 23, 2011, 06:11 PM

Seriously. Find me an Android user with a 4G phone that doesn't constantly complain about the battery life.

Meanwhile - I don't understand waiting in line for an iPhone when I ordered my 4S online and it arrived the day of the launch. No offense to all you line-waiting fanboys out there.

(I'm just a regular, non-line-waiting fanboy)

*LTD*
Nov 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
Samsung's intent here is to keep their own customers from straying.

Which speaks volumes about the kind of threat Apple represents.

And really, making fun of Apple because people line up for their products? Has Samsung forgotten that people line up for Apple products (and not others) because they're just that good? Apple products make headlines and hold the world in a frenzy. Questioning that makes Samsung look . . . a little out of touch with the market.

Other companies would kill for the sort of mindshare that Apple has. Criticizing it and the people who build it willingly and wholeheartedly (even when they have other choices) looks a little desperate.

afs_nj
Nov 23, 2011, 06:28 PM

Cute. The characters portrayed are still quite young--but not as testosterone charged as all the other android ads. The even threw in a few girls! How novel.

marksman
Nov 23, 2011, 06:47 PM

Samsung is upset they copy apple but then nobody waits in line for their products.

I think this fails as an effective commercial for Samsung to sell their product and that is why it is not good.

----------

Like that? Really?

It is weird. It actually proves most viable consumers don't care about the sake of cosmetic change just for the sake of change. Their message doesn't make sense.

"buy Samsung phones because we change the way they look for no reason."

----------

The reason I wont buy a Samsung phone is because I have one and it doesn't work at all. The touch display has a lot of issues making it useless, it's slow and has a lot of other little issues like turning on and off randomly in my pocket. It's only a year old. My iPod touch on the other hand lasted 3 years and never had a screen issue or a touch issue and even the newest apps still worked on it. Now that my touch is dead I miss it dearly and am now waiting for my contract to be up so I can get an iPhone.

That is the difference between a company who spends 3-5 years developing a product and one who spends 9-12 months.

Wordsmithmac
Nov 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
This thread is so full of win... The ad wasn't meant for hardcore iPhone fans it was meant for open minded users who want a great screen that's big and vivid and a phone that is very fast with a solid OS.

So many ******** fanboys over a commercial targeting someone else....it's like people getting mad that snl makes fun of them.... I mean come on from the Starbucks to the hipster snob arrogance because they own an iPhone to the smart ass comment from the blond to the barista, this commercial got the typical hardcore iPhone loyalist down pat only thing it's missing is the on que "iPhones sell huge numbers so it has to be better than everything" mentality...

Great commercial... Now with Steve gone, competitors are coming full force...

Competition is great, I hope apple doesn't try to sue like they always do and competes instead.

Sdreed91
Nov 23, 2011, 07:03 PM
This thread is so full of win... The ad wasn't meant for hardcore iPhone fans it was meant for open minded users who want a great screen that's big and vivid and a phone that is very fast with a solid OS.

So many ******** fanboys over a commercial targeting someone else....it's like people getting mad that snl makes fun of them.... I mean come on from the Starbucks to the hipster snob arrogance because they own an iPhone to the smart ass comment from the blond to the barista, this commercial got the typical hardcore iPhone loyalist down pat only thing it's missing is the on que "iPhones sell huge numbers so it has to be better than everything" mentality...

Competition is great, I hope apple doesn't try to sue like they always do and competes instead.

I don't understand what Steve had to do with anything? We're companies unable to innovate or do any type of marketing while he was alive?
I don't understand all of these snide remakes everyone is making now that Steve is gone. He didn't enable or disable any other companies ability to do things.

marksman
Nov 23, 2011, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I agree, i think it looks more like they're trying to solidify themselves as the leading apple-alternative for those already in the 'anti-apple' crowd, more so than trying to convert the 'loyalists'.

I agree. They are targetting the apple haters market with this. The problem is at the same time they are being off putting to people who like apple or are indifferent to apple. I think it is a large mistake and they could have done the former without the later.

----------

This is really becoming a trend in Android ads lately too.

Take the new commercial they have with the motorcycles, explosions and chases through San Francisco (get it?) for the Droid RAZR. They didn't show the phone for more than a second or so in the initial ad and even then it's obscured with blades and fancy gimmicks.

They don't trust the product to sell itself, instead they always resort to heavy CGI and action scenes with scantily clad female robots fighting über-orcs in the distant future. I mean, granted, that stuff is cool, but I fail to see what it has to do with a phone.

I agree. The droid line marketing has always been awful. I thought it was a ps3 ad or something.

lazyrighteye
Nov 23, 2011, 07:15 PM
Samsung's intent here is to keep their own customers from straying.

Which speaks volumes about the kind of threat Apple represents.

And really, making fun of Apple because people line up for their products? Has Samsung forgotten that people line up for Apple products (and not others) because they're just that good? Apple products make headlines and hold the world in a frenzy. Questioning that makes Samsung look . . . a little out of touch with the market.

Other companies would kill for the sort of mindshare that Apple has. Criticizing it and the people who build it willingly and wholeheartedly (even when they have other choices) looks a little desperate.

Samsung is trying a new marketing strategy: if you can't beat them, and you can't join them, mock them.
Not holding my breath on this campaign moving the needle.
Not at least in the direction Samsung is hoping. :p

----------

Last I checked, Apple appears to be competing quite well.
Welcome to the forums.

marksman
Nov 23, 2011, 07:22 PM

It has a bigger screen but not those other things so fail?

KnightWRX
Nov 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
As a 1st day iPhone 4S buyer, I approve this message. :D Funny ad, made me laugh.

If you're mad at this ad, maybe you need to take a step back into reality. ;)

Swift
Nov 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
OK, how about "1984"?

Or "Lemmings"?

You've got a point there, at least with "Lemmings." But may I point out, that was 26 or 27 years ago?

----------

The android audience is very, very hostile, to the point that they can only like their phones if they hate Apple fans. All these characterizations of Apple fans as "superior, smug," and so on, are in fact the product of a "superior, smug" attitude from android fans.

Fine, go ahead. No skin off my nose.

Wordsmithmac
Nov 23, 2011, 07:56 PM
Samsung is trying a new marketing strategy: if you can't beat them, and you can't join them, mock them.
Not holding my breath on this campaign moving the needle.
Not at least in the direction Samsung is hoping. :p

----------

Last I checked, Apple appears to be competing quite well.
Welcome to the forums.

Sure they are but they are also suing rivals over things like rectangle shapes and stopping sales. And they are presenting false info during trials such as in the Samsung case in Germany they claim the grid of icons in Samsung devices is a ripoff yet didn't say they used androids app drawer as the example... Apple does little things that aren't very honest in some cases to win but it seems when some hits apple with their own tactics there is an outcry of jealousy and foul play...

I find it funny it's like apple is allowed certain things but everyone else cannot and if you dare iPhone loyalists go on attack. It's remarkable and funny.

jontech
Nov 23, 2011, 07:58 PM
I don't mind this type of advertising. I think its funny and it addresses the issues people actually think. Let the people decide with their wallets

dethmaShine
Nov 23, 2011, 07:58 PM

...Except the "4G" that you're referring to isn't actually 4G either. The official 4G spec is 100 Mb/s, which is a long way off.

1000Mbps. :)

I'm pretty sure, yours wasn't intentional.

Wordsmithmac
Nov 23, 2011, 08:05 PM

It has a bigger screen but not those other things so fail?

Nope no fail, it's ironic that apples new wiz bang notification pull down borrows or steals A LOT from Sammy's touch wiz pull down yet so many claim Sammy is ripping of the iPhone.

Yumunum
Nov 23, 2011, 08:09 PM
Nope no fail, it's ironic that apples new wiz bang notification pull down borrows or steals A LOT from Sammy's touch wiz pull down yet so many claim Sammy is ripping of the iPhone.

Samsung's pull down? You mean Android/Google's?

Wordsmithmac
Nov 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
I don't understand what Steve had to do with anything? We're companies unable to innovate or do any type of marketing while he was alive?
I don't understand all of these snide remakes everyone is making now that Steve is gone. He didn't enable or disable any other companies ability to do things.

What do you call innovation when a bunch of the new features in its come from android and wp7 and web os? In apples case they take those things add them to iOS and claim invention not innovation and because the patent office gives away stupid patents like free candy apple gets away with it. I mean they sued Samsung overseas for a shape... A shape and stopped sales rather than compete.

Jobs was a visionary but his book shed a lot of light on his character, he was petty and vindictive and a lot of these lawsuits came from the petty side. But he was a legend so no one went after apple because of him but he is gone now so it's open season on the iPhone.

This ad was funny it hit at the common belief about iPhone users right or wrong to some those depictions are what people think and see when it comes to iPhone users.

It could have been a snl ad hell snl I think has made fun of iPhone users and some got mad at that too... Which makes these ads true in a way. Some iPhone users take themselves too serious and can't just laugh yet if apple put out an ad just like this the angry ones would cheer.

I'm an android user and we get joked on regular by the pro iPhone blogs and we laugh at it but a let iPhone loyalists get joked on and it's wrong.

That's why this ad is funny. It wasn't meant for the hardcore iPhone loyalist yet that's who is getting mad.

----------

Samsung's pull down? You mean Android/Google's?

No Sammy has things in their pull down not in other android phones. So I call it Sammy's pull down to separate them

kplayaja
Nov 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
I will never understand their business relationship.

Sardonick007
Nov 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Just like political ads everybody bashing the other. Creative or not, they're getting tiring. I make the decision on what to buy...period. The ad is funny, true. However, I'm a little taken aback by the fact that Samsung makes so much of the iPad (and other Apple internals) and yet they feel the need to create such ads. Not to mention that no matter how "huge" the screen on their phone is, nothing looks better than an iPhone screen. ( i have a thunderbolt btw). I wish each camp would stick to promoting their products on their merits and stop this politico style before it gets completely out of hand.

r018u
Nov 23, 2011, 08:44 PM
That's actually a pretty funny spot. And not too ... I could care less what computer/OS/phone/tablet/can opener you chose. I've found what works for me...

...don't you mean 'I couldn't care less'?

It's amazing how many people make this mistake on these forums. :rolleyes:

Spectrum Abuser
Nov 23, 2011, 08:50 PM
All this commercial proved is that you don't need to stand in line for a Samsung phone[lack of demand]. Kind of hurts Samsung in a way that their marketing team apperantly didn't catch.

echo2011
Nov 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
I don't mind this type of advertising. I think its funny and it addresses the issues people actually think. Let the people decide with their wallets
I agree! Competition is healthy, I love it.

hot spare
Nov 23, 2011, 09:05 PM
It's really strange.

Strange because, people in Macrumors talk more about Samsung, Galaxy and Nexus more than they talk about iphones. duh!

I can see all the hipsters burnt and feeling the pain after watching the ad.

Point is this ad has already achieved it's purpose. People are talking about it. The video went viral. Million views just in 1 day. Question remains, how do apple reply now? Actually, it does not matter how it replies. Any reply would mean that they feel threatened by Samsung Galaxy series. Samsung would actually love a response from Apple. This would get them more mileage in the press and media.

macaddict06
Nov 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
Well, I mean, the excitement is understandable. At a quick glance, I'd think that the S II was an iPhone also.

Good work, Samsung. Copy Apple, then try to convert the base with a look a-like that sucks. Clever.

buzzyclonecattl
Nov 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
All this commercial proved is that you don't need to stand in line for a Samsung phone[lack of demand]. Kind of hurts Samsung in a way that their marketing team apperantly didn't catch.

I disagree with this, most people don't think you need or don't want to stand in line to get the best product--only if you want it first. It makes it's point that appeals to others who won't stand in line outside on the first day of a new gadget before the reviews are in.

I do not like the ad though, it does not help Samsung in other ways. I am a marketer and I think it does put the product behind the product it is trying to compete with, even if it may be faster and has a bigger screen.

As others here have said, it doesn't show features and Apple is awesome at doing that in their commercials. I have both Apple and Android products with kids and wife owning the iPhones in the house.

The reason samsung doesn't tout features most likely is that by saying it can do something, they would have to pay money to the 3rd party app that allows it to be a feature, and the focus is on them rather than hardware and hard to explain OS features that allow it to happen. So they make up the generic exploding commercials targeting people who enjoy the hard edged wowness of technology and not the everyday use and hope they try the phone based on thin commercials. Windows is trying to do it with their new Windows 7 ads, but they are just not good in my opinion and show features no one would ever use in their home. This while Apple does excellent job of marketing what the phone can do for the everyday person because it has agreements with these apps to market their capabilities or they own them as in the iCloud and Siri. Both phones do the same thing, but I see why one side does not own the rights to market what it can do because it is all 3rd party app driven.

I was face chatting with the myTouch 4G with Qik since last Christmas non wi-fi, but I don't remember any equal marketing to that issue except by T-mobile who again was only comparing network speeds instead of some real life Dad's out of town and Mom would like to see his face. Yet I thought it is a huge step into the future and close to my Johnny Quest wrist video phone I've always dreamed about.

I was receiving texts from my son on my commute home via voice while replying back via voice that converted to text back to my son very reliably. Wow there's a commercial there but where is it? Maybe I have just DVR'd those out, but I haven't seen them. The commercial about Siri is a great job in showing how an iPhone can help make your life simpler and get the job done with voice recoginition.

Maybe all the marketing departments for these companies are already using Apple iPhones and they have never really done anything with their own products other than looking at the screen and seeing it's bigger. But reality says it is more that Android doesn't own the rights or don't care to market specific features as they are another company's property and would require solid 3rd party agreements.

Not saying one phone is better than the other because my wife's iPhone 4 (I know this from direct comparison)is better in some areas than the myTouch 4G and not in others (taking out the network issue of 4G completely, that's not a fair comparison of hardware and OS). I have found both to do the job of a smart phone quite reliably and usually people can make arguments about certain features being better one way or another on different phones. The reality is that overall the pluses and minuses for comparable phones even out and depending on other products you have and like that would tip the scale over to one side or another. (I.E Macbook/IPAD/Apple TV or PC/Android Tablet/X-Box 360, Windows Media Center).

I think the Ad could help Samsung a little to sway the independents, but Apple Marketing is doing it right by showcasing real life feature situations and as long as they keep that up and not rely just on the brand, Samsung and others will continue to follow.

iSayuSay
Nov 23, 2011, 09:35 PM
This is a bit off topic, but because some of you posted about Mac vs. PC ads we've seen some time ago I'd like to say a few things.

In regard of that ad, you really have to thank John Hodgman (The "PC guy" actor). It's because of him that ads become somewhat lovable, funny and interesting.

Justin Long (The "Mac guy") is just the pretty boy, and truly he is not the center of the story itself. It's the PC we've been waiting for each ads.
If somewhat in one of those ads John didn't appear, that would be sad and felt empty. Not the case if the other way around, we can still enjoy John alone being the PC guy without Justin "the Mac" :p.

And 2007 WWDC's opening video is truly funny because of him, Justin only take a couple of seconds despite being a Mac on an Apple conference :D

So .. yes, thank you "PC" for bringing a little smile for us.

On topic: Yeah .. I see Samsung really try hard to make the funny commercial, but this is truly fail and not memorable. I love iPhone and don't mind if iPhone being mocked for fun. I love good laugh much more than mere fanboyism, so .. please ... surprise me :D

buzzyclonecattl
Nov 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
ing a little smile for us.

On topic: Yeah .. I see Samsung really try hard to make the funny commercial, but this is truly fail and not memorable.

Funny, my PC Brother thought it was funny and better than the PC vs. Mac commercials (he sent it to me and my Mac Brother who didn't think it was funny at all). All in how close to home it hits I guess. Definitely not memorable in my opinion but funnier than either Mac vs. PC or T-Mobile Parody ads because it was closer to reality. I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I never laughed so hard at Conan's Triumph the comic dog making fun of Star Wars fans in line and this could've been funnier if using real people.

This wasn't very funny but "Dude you are a barista" was the only funny part to me.

Hulk12
Nov 23, 2011, 10:06 PM

LOL thats funny.

Who said apple marketed its phone as a 4G phone

Hulk12
Nov 23, 2011, 10:14 PM

LOL thats funny.

Except Apple is not the one marketing 3.5G as 4G -- that would be Samsung in this commercial where they show the white T-Mobile Galaxy S2 and say "why don't you just get a 4G phone". Apple called it what it is in the iPhone 4S presentation and even said "some manufacturers are calling this 4G, but let's look at just speed comparisons".

By the way, your "4G is the *only* 4G" comment is misinformed. WiMAX is called 4G though slower than LTE and about the same as AT&T/T-Mobile's supposed 4G. LTE technically is not even 4G according to the standards body. So please define what "4G" is to you. Are you touting LTE or are you touting WiMAX which is what the EVO 4G (the best selling Android phone) runs on. Either way, LTE eats your battery life these days -- most people who owns these phones turn off 4G most of the day so they can make it through the day. I'm not saying having the option of LTE is a bad thing, but a switch on & off experience is not something Apple will do.

From a "misleading" perspective the 4G comments are the worst. However, the blonde girl in line who mimics the Samsung toting girl is so funny that I am glad its in there.

I totally agree with what you said LTE and WiMAX or more of and evolution to true 4G Which is Advanced LTE, and WiMAX

/V\acpower
Nov 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
"Siri, remind me to never buy a Samsung phone."

Teddy's
Nov 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
Can't wait for the new Samsung Galaxy 3011 to come out.

The specs:

10-core Intel Xeon E7 @ 3.6Ghz
128GB ram
2TB HDD
10G (100000000000000 MBPS)
And the best part: 10 seconds of battery :D
:rolleyes:

Uhmmm... Those sound like the rumored specs of the failed iPhone 5. Except that the "10 seconds of battery" was the only thing that realized. At least it did not melt like the concept iPad with OSX.

buddybd
Nov 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
hahaha that was a funny ad. Thank God it doesn't apply to me, I bought my 4S online :P

wikus
Nov 23, 2011, 11:10 PM

I agree, they both suck.

----------

OK, how about "1984"?

Or "Lemmings"?

LOL, this got negged too?

There's just no room for rational thinking with some people.

Broph
Nov 23, 2011, 11:13 PM
Anyone notice at 0:40 she has the Snow Leopard wallpaper on her SGS2?

chrono1081
Nov 23, 2011, 11:41 PM
I remember owning several samsung phones (my last one right before my first iPhone which was the 3Gs)...yea never again. I don't miss batteries that die a few months after use, or many missed calls because the phone failed to ring.

This commercial just shows that Samsung doesn't get it. Its not all about hardware. That Samsung phone can't wirelessly sync with my iTunes, or use Facetime, or let me watch video from a phone and transfer it straight to my TV with one button press.

Everyone things Apple people buy Apple just because of the name for some reason. The truth is they make great products that work together and that is why people buy them. No other reason. That is why people wait in line for the next new gadget. Many companies would kill to have that.

kockgunner
Nov 23, 2011, 11:50 PM
And yet your fine with Apple basing entire ads around the resolution of a screen? Apple coasted on that new feature for quite a while before Siri finally gave them something new to market.

That's not the only feature of the iPhone and I know Android phones have other features too, but so often, you see people saying the iPhone is inferior just because the screen is smaller, as if that's what defines a good phone. Apple has coasted on iOS, which is the main feature of the phone.

iOS may not be the most exciting OS and it hasn't changed much, but that shows how much Apple got right the first time. Android is just now getting smooth animations and a decent keyboard (4 years later) which iPhone users have been enjoying for years.

I'm not saying Apple should rest on its laurels because they accomplished such a feat, but it seems many people forgot what it was like before the iPhone when no one considered a smartphone and the cool phone was a RAZR.

godknows
Nov 24, 2011, 12:27 AM
There are people who really think they are cool just because they don't use Apple products, just as there are people who think they are cool because they own Apple products. Equally annoying people.

Samsung is trying to capitalize on the former group, which I can see why. But just because they're competing with someone doesn't mean they have to be rude.