Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Apple announced a worldwide replacement program for the first-generation iPod nano due to continuing issues with overheating related to defective batteries from one of Apple's suppliers.

While some users began receiving their replacement units, which apparently came through as like-new refurbished first-generation units, almost immediately, many other users have been complaining of slow turnaround time for either receiving shipping boxes for returning their defective iPods or receiving the replacement units from Apple. According to reports from users who have corresponded with Apple support staff about the delays, the company has been experiencing shortages of boxes and other items necessary to complete the replacement process.

ipod_nano_6th_gen_replacement.jpg

It now appears, however, that Apple may have run out of refurbished first-generation iPod nano units and may now be shipping out current-generation units as replacements. Several users have reported over the past few days that they have received emails acknowledging shipment of their replacement device's and checking the serial numbers of the replacement devices on Apple's support site has shown them to be sixth-generation models. The sixth-generation iPod nano was originally released in September 2010, and while the line received a price drop and software update a few months ago, Apple still considers the current iPod nano to be a sixth-generation model.

We have not yet received word from any users who have received the sixth-generation iPod nano units as replacements, and thus it remains possible that the serial numbers are simply registering incorrectly in Apple's support database. While we are waiting for confirmation on the possible upgrade, several users have indicated that their shipments are due to be delivered this Wednesday.

Article Link: Apple Now Replacing Recalled First-Gen iPod Nanos with Current-Gen Models?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Well, this can only be good news for customers really. Apple could have just stopped the replacement service and said that they have run out.

An iTunes voucher would have been very poor of them too - replacing for the new model iPod nano is a good move on Apple's part.

Whether you like the new model or not, most companies never offer refurb units, so this is win-win for the consumer.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
The original email said I'd get a box in two days. I figured they were swamped with requests, so I gave them a month before I rang up Apple support to see what was going on. The guy I spoke to said I'd be getting a brand new iPod Nano, but I thought he was just not picking his words right. Now, I wonder.

Of course, whatever they send, I'm mostly glad it won't be spontaneously catching fire.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I still have my 1gb first gen nano and when I first heard about the program I checked and I was eligible. Once I thought about it I'd rather keep it since I've never had a problem with it and it's still alive and kickin, and there's also some sentimental value to it as it was my first Apple product!! (although my lil sister is the current owner)
But after hearing this I might send it in if they are giving new ones then just give her the new one as a Christmas present. (or late Christmas present depending on when and if I get it)

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
apple received my iPod on Nov 12 and forgot about it until this thread haha. i actually want my click wheel one..

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I hope I don't get the 6th gen nano. If I known that was going to happen I would have just kept mine. It was in working order and used a lot. I just sent it in to get the battery replaced in case what they recalled would happen.

The first gen had so much right. The scroll wheel was great. The size was prefect to carry around.

FSugino

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Just checked the status of my replacement, and after a month of seeing "Product replacement pending" it finally changed to "Replacement product shipped."

I'll update as soon as I get my package in another day or two.

Update: Well I'll be damned... no sooner than I post this note when I get an email from Apple. Turns out I am getting a 6th gen iPod Nano. While I'm happy for the new model (I also got a settlement check a while ago for a Nano class-action lawsuit) I'm gonna miss having the old form factor. Oh well... time to hunt for a watchband.

Last edited:

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

FSugino said:
Just checked the status of my replacement, and after a month of seeing "Product replacement pending" it finally changed to "Replacement product shipped."

I'll update as soon as I get my package in another day or two.

Let us know what you get

gpshiker

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
Fedex shows the replacement was picked up in Reno, NV today and I should have it tomorrow. Cannot wait to see what's inside though the serial# did indicate it's a 6g but with an expired warranty status.

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I just got my mailer after e-mailing apple the day the recall was reported.
While my nano is still in mint condition...working flawlessly...I'm stoked, as I was hoping to get a Dick Tracy iPod!
I'll be happy if it happens.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
hoping for a new nano

Just got a shipment notice for my replacement nano - checked the serial number and it comes up at a 6th generation nano with warranty up til 12/18/12. Here's hoping that the serial number registration is accurate! I wish mine was shipping out of Reno (as I'm in CA), but mine is shipping out of PA. Will get here just in time for Christmas :)

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Mine still says pending.... I hope they don't send me the latest one, I don't like it. I want a refurb of any of the candybar versions... as long as it's not an obnoxious color, lol

Tal Ormanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Just got a shipment notice for my replacement nano - checked the serial number and it comes up at a 6th generation nano with warranty up til 12/18/12. Here's hoping that the serial number registration is accurate! I wish mine was shipping out of Reno (as I'm in CA), but mine is shipping out of PA. Will get here just in time for Christmas :)

Hmmm I live in PA. Mine needs to ship!

pxlmvr7

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
I think it took a little of 2 weeks to get my box... just got it a couple days ago. Hopefully they'll send a new Nano :)

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Kinda wanted my (beat up yet still used for NikePlus) 1G Nano replaced so that I could store it for nostalgia. Oh well, I won't say no to a current-gen Nano! Luckily, I know some relatives with 1G Nanos that I think I can buy from at a cheap price.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
NOOOOOOO

I want my bloody first gen nano back!!! I've logged so many Nike+ miles with that little trooper. Rain and shine.

I don't want a damn touch screen on a device strictly used for running :(

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Product: iPod nano
Serial Number: YM********
Repair ID: A*******
Service Requested: November 17, 2011
Status: Product replacement pending (updated 17 December 2011)

Still waiting for shipment confirmation.......

Gavinmcc

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
6542088723_71567bdccf.jpg

Mildly torn...my 1st gen didn't have a scratch and was a hard working little trooper...still a new iPod with twice the storage ain't so bad...

Gavin

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I just got my email for Apple today. I checked my serial number and it says I'll get a 6th generation nano as a replacement. Nice!! I thought it was taking them a long time to get it back to me but well worth it now!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
It is really ridiculous how long it takes. I still used this my nano for running and sports and it just worked great. I just sent it in because who wants a nano that can catch fire? I am not sure if I would be happy to get a new generation. I like my old Apple stuff.

What really makes me wonder how much storage the replaced models have? Mine had just 2 GB which was just fine for running but the current generation starts at 8GB. That would be quite an upgrade.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
What's probably happening is that they ran through their refurbished supply, and will now send 6th gen nano's out until they get the lawed 1st gen nano's back.

At which point they will get those refurbished and start sending those out again.

So get the 6th gens while you can...

Unless they figured out that it's just cheaper for them to just send 6th gen ones out than to refurb the old ones. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.