Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I received the email earlier. I checked the warranty status, a 6th Gen has been shipped to me. No compliants from me. :D I rarely used my 1st Gen anymore. I would be more inclined to use a 6th Gen during workouts.

Thank you Apple!

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
Just as I predicted. I would be happy with a new 6th generation iPod Nano. I hope to hear a shipping confirmation soon. Though, I would be happy with any upgrade.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Mine also shows a 6th gen. It makes me feel cheap and dirty in an odd way... I wanted a first gen back, but no real complaints here. My old screen WAS shattered too...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Had I known that I wouldn't be getting a first gen back, I would have never sent mine in. Greed got the best of me. I should have kept my first gen, it was fine.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I hope not… I want a shiny new 1G…

Same here. I love the size and shape of the original and second-generation iPod nanos. The new ones, not so much.

My first-gen nano was my constant Nike+ running companion for nearly five years. Now I wish I hadn't sent it in for the replacement. Still waiting, too.

gpshiker

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011

Mildly torn...my 1st gen didn't have a scratch and was a hard working little trooper...still a new iPod with twice the storage ain't so bad...

Gavin

Apple showed my replacement (6g) had one-year warranty yesterday (until 12/16/2012) but now shows expired.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 444

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Product: iPod nano
Serial Number: 0X0000XXXXX
Repair ID: X00000000
Service Requested: November 12, 2011
Step 1 - Request: November 23, 2011: Product received
Step 2 - Service: November 23, 2011: Issue identified
Step 3 - Return: November 23, 2011: Product replacement pending

If they're really sending 6th generation Nanos as a replacement... which color will it be? Silver, or any random color? Or the one color they can't sell? :p

Last edited:

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I got the box last week after putting in the request around the time of the recall announcement. I had sent it in today. I will gladly take the 6th gen one. I consider it as a generous gesture.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
my return has been pending since nov. 24th. i'd be happy to get the 6th gen as a replacement, as the one i sent in hadn't been used for a few years. now i can pick up a watchband...

puckman71

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
6th gen not for all

I got mine collected on the 15th of November, just called them to see whats up and was told that they don't have any stock and will ONLY ship once they get some extra 1st gen's in stock.

I'm very disappointed. Not because I wanted a 6th gen but because I'm made to wait, for any replacement. If it was the battery why not simply fit it with a new battery, heck, I can pick one up for peanuts from eBay, sure Apple must be able to get some.

MacsAreBetter\

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Merry christmas and a happy new year to me :) Also birthday.

Just read back through the e-mail. Apparently they can't be bothered with boxes in Australia anymore, so, I have to take it to the post office. We'll see how that plays out. Sure, the first gen had its sentiments.. but now I get a new gen with twice the capacity that I can wear as a watch. Priceless.

spleen

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
6th gen ipod nano

Just received our replacement today - Fedex truck pulled up late in the evening. Inside was our replacement for our 1st gen ipod nano that was sent into Apple 1 month ago.

It's a 6th generation ipod nano, serial number shows that warranty has expired. Not sure if that means that it's a refurbished model or if it's a brand new model and they've deactivated the warranty. It's silver.

ipodnano.jpg

We're excited getting a nano 6th generation though!

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010

Mildly torn...my 1st gen didn't have a scratch and was a hard working little trooper...still a new iPod with twice the storage ain't so bad...

Gavin

If that's the case then why send it in? IF you were happy no need for a new one right? Love the gimmie mentality some have. Yes I know it was a replacement that apple offered for those with defective batteries. Yes I know your's (and others with no issues that sent theirs in) fell under the replacement blanket...... If it wasn't broke, why "fix" it?

Any who, congrats on your replacement.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
If it was the battery why not simply fit it with a new battery, heck, I can pick one up for peanuts from eBay, sure Apple must be able to get some.
When Apple refurb an iPod they replace the battery, outer case and any internal parts that don't meet quality control. I suspect it would take some time to remnufacture those obsolete parts and probably isn't economical hence the 6 gen replacements.

gpshiker

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
Just received our replacement today - Fedex truck pulled up late in the evening. Inside was our replacement for our 1st gen ipod nano that was sent into Apple 1 month ago.

It's a 6th generation ipod nano, serial number shows that warranty has expired. Not sure if that means that it's a refurbished model or if it's a brand new model and they've deactivated the warranty. It's silver.

We're excited getting a nano 6th generation though!

Congrats on the replacement. Can you confirm the storage size of iPod nano 6g and what was the original size you've sent in? Thx!

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Ooo... I hope I get a new one, but I'm in the UK, perfectly probable they still have 1st Gen ones.

We shall see...I posted mine back on nov 14th and it's still "product replacement pending" (since dec 12) :rolleyes:

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
If that's the case then why send it in? IF you were happy no need for a new one right? Love the gimmie mentality some have. Yes I know it was a replacement that apple offered for those with defective batteries. Yes I know your's (and others with no issues that sent theirs in) fell under the replacement blanket...... If it wasn't broke, why "fix" it?

Well if your model of car has been linked to 12 deaths because of a major malfunction, would it be smart to not take it in to get repaired? Just because someone's has a working battery, doesn't mean they're good. What if 3 days after sending it in the battery would have ruptured or something? If they didn't they'd be screwed. There isn't any 'gimme' mentality involved, they just said they would have preferred it one way, but were ok with getting it the other. It's better safe than sorry.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

The reason we're sending it in is because the battery is faulty. They don't advise you to immediately stop using it just for the sake of it. I only want my 1st generation model back, it's sentimental and it's going to be worth at least $500 in a few centuries. (Although, I'd still rather a 6th generation model than keep my faulty 1st generation.)

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Well if your model of car has been linked to 12 deaths because of a major malfunction, would it be smart to not take it in to get repaired? Just because someone's has a working battery, doesn't mean they're good. What if 3 days after sending it in the battery would have ruptured or something? If they didn't they'd be screwed. There isn't any 'gimme' mentality involved, they just said they would have preferred it one way, but were ok with getting it the other. It's better safe than sorry.

IPOD BATTERY ISSUES HAVE BEEN LINKED TO 12 DEATHS!! Never mind, I was sooo wrong. I think every one should send in their's NOW!!!!! WORKING OR NOT!!!!!
Edit.....
Wait a minute....... I googled "iPod linked to 12 deaths" and the only thing I got was this: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ipod-death-earphones-earbuds-train,news-8098.html and this was really from his own negligence and not the iPods fault. Where you exaggerating?

By your reasoning I ask how many STOPPED using their iPod when they heard the issue with the batteries. Did it concern them enough to stop using it? If not why should their functioning iPod (after all this time with NO battery issues) concern them enough to send it in? OR those that had their iPod sitting that hasn't been used (because other items have taken their time, not because they were worried about exploding batteries) in how many years? When was the last time any of those people even thought about their iPod? Why would THEY send theirs in as it hasn't been used or thought about.... simply because apple says they'll replace it? I say good for them getting apple to replace their functioning or non battery issue iPod for a new one. I wouldn't send in a functioning product or one that I haven't used in years simply because I can. I paid for a product and got my fair use out of that product for the price I paid. BUT I do say for those that can and have the desire to get your new iPod. Not hating just saying.

I don't care, I still don't want a replacement... I just want Apple to change the battery in my 1G because the engraving has sentimental value, but not only won't they do that, they won't even let their authorized repair centres do it on site while there's a recall on. So I'm forced to keep a potential fire hazard in my house forever instead. Thanks Apple.
Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Now I understand that it is most likely more cost effective just to replace them but Scottishwildcat gets it but maybe not for the same reason lol.

Last edited:

jamieharwood

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
UK replacements

I've just spoken to Apple Care as I'm still waiting for my replacement nano. They told me that the return period was 6 weeks so I should be receiving my new 5th gen nano very soon!

The Apple Care rep told me that they had reveived 300,000 units which was x3 more returns the they expected...

I was looking forward to getting a nice clean 1st gen nano to add to my Apple collection but now I have to a 5th gen, no so happy :eek:

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I don't care, I still don't want a replacement... I just want Apple to change the battery in my 1G because the engraving has sentimental value, but not only won't they do that, they won't even let their authorized repair centres do it on site while there's a recall on. So I'm forced to keep a potential fire hazard in my house forever instead. Thanks Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.